Dark Souls 2 [360, PS3, PC] Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    My Hong Kong version (with the better controls) finally arrived last night. I MUCH prefer this to Bloodborne (apart from the touchpad and Option controls that you can't swap). It seems even easier too, being that it's a lot slower.

I spent about three hours creating my chara, but once I got in I really like it. I've got some half decent gear already and I'm now at what I think is the second boss.

How long is the game compared with Bloodborne?
    Whats the 'better controls'?

Comment

X is run and jump.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

My wish is that one day we will have a Souls game that combines the fast combat of Bloodborne, with the customization of armour and character options of DS2 and the game world on par with Demon Souls Dark Souls 1. Then ill be in heaven or is that hell

Comment

Id say its bigger overall. The DLC parts all together are a decent size, with some very good (and hard) boss fights as well. You will have to find the keys to access them however. First one is down a certain well....

Comment

This game is way better than Bloodborne. I spent some more time with it today. I'm on the fifth or sixth boss now, they're pretty easy. I'm farming to get my strength to 18 so I can wield a 100% damage reduction shield, which will enable me to easily beat the boss who is giving me some trouble.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The retro boss is a good little touch I reckon. The same strategy still applies too.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Supergoal View Post
                Have you not played the DLC yet?

The DLC is quality and well worth exploring. Some very good bosses too.
                Cheers. I think i'll give it a go. I thrashed the vanilla game but have yet to touch the dlc.

Comment

This game is way better than Bloodborne. I spent some more time with it today. I'm on the fifth or sixth boss now, they're pretty easy. I'm farming to get my strength to 18 so I can wield a 100% damage reduction shield, which will enable me to easily beat the boss who is giving me some trouble.
                  Agree 100%. Bloodborne is a very good game but since buying this again (coming from the pc version) i've already spent more in this game in half the time of having bloodborne. Loving it all over again.

Comment

Straight from the back of bloodborne, i put a fair bit of time into this last night, having never played it on the ps3 and i'd have to disagree. Graphically no-where in the same league, not as atmospheric, (well not yet anyway), floaty controls, (the high frame rate makes it almost too smooth), characters weight feels wrong, and weaker sound design. The areas also seem a mismatch of locations tacked together. For me, not even a patch on the original demon souls. All just my own opinions though, before anyone gets in a tizzy

Comment

Is Black Gulch impossible? I either get killed by the computer or some idiot invades me. I've been stuck here for 90 minutes.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Is Black Gulch impossible? I either get killed by the computer or some idiot invades me. I've been stuck here for 90 minutes.
                        I found that one of the most memorable/'enjoyable' areas of the game,

with a properly grotesque boss

, but it's tricky for sure. Whole area is much more compact than it appears (as you can't see a damn thing!). Happily there's

a bonfire just after the rickety platformy bit, after which you need some good poison resistance

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                          Wow, that's pretty harsh!
                          Here you go, here's a game where you'll die A LOT...and each time you do we're gonna make harder for you by shortening your life bar.

Coop is out as I'm behind a strict (work) firewall so my only option is to burn effigies.
                          Played a couple of hours and I think I've only picked up one effigy in that whole time. are they hard to come by?
                          It's a shame you can't do co-op, because it really is the best way to reverse hollowing. I haven't burned an effigy since practically the start of the game, so I've got loads left.

I think you can kill

the witches at the start for quite a few effigies

if you need some, but I haven't tried that.

Comment

I don't seem to be able to burn effigies...?
                            I've just beaten the first boss and got a tonne of souls. I levelled myself and then went to burn an effigy and it says something 'can't burn at this time'

Anyone know what's going on?

Also how do you use your torch?
                            I must have sat for like 10 mins trying to figure this out and couldn't do it. I got a torch at the beginning and now in my inventory screen I can see the torch at what looks like time attached to it but I have no idea how to use it.

Comment

Also how do you use your torch?
                              I must have sat for like 10 mins trying to figure this out and couldn't do it. I got a torch at the beginning and now in my inventory screen I can see the torch at what looks like time attached to it but I have no idea how to use it.
                              At a bonfire, press the toggle button (Y on XBOX and Triangle on PS4) This will give you the option to light your torch. The time attached to it is how long you can burn the torch for.

Comment

I don't seem to be able to burn effigies...?
                                I've just beaten the first boss and got a tonne of souls. I levelled myself and then went to burn an effigy and it says something 'can't burn at this time'
                                Anyone know what's going on?
                                You can only burn effigies in areas where you can get invaded (PVP). It only works if you're online too. The effect is temporary anyway (around an hour). Save effigies for reverse hollowing. You can summon offline CPU characters for help when you are human.

Comment

Working...
                                X