Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wolfenstein: The New Order review

So yeah, I am about 70% far and here are my impressions from the Ps4 ver.:

+The game is sort of unique in the sense that you aren't being pushed forward by explosions and invisible walls. You have to look for the exit. Its still linear progression, but you can take different routes here and there and you have to search yourself at times. There are puzzles too. Its old school design and we all miss this.

+TNO is also a reasonably big FPS game. If the devs claim 14 hours or so, they aren't pushing it. I think I will end up with that time.

+There are lots of weapons and you can carry them all. Dual wielding kicks ass.

+Atmosphere is excellent, chapter 3 felt like Goldeneye for example. 60's world ruled by Nazi's with Mechas is a great setting. Kampfhund cracks me up.

I also have some issues though:

-The gunplay doesn't satisfy me as much as Killzone and Rage did. Perhaps its the somewhat low quality sound effects, or the animations that are a step below those games, but perhaps its just me. I don't know.

-Graphically its a mixed bag. Its Full HD, 60fps, colorful and atmosphere is great. But the textures and effects aren't impressive and there are also jaggies.

-you don't keep your loadout, progression is a bit like Killzone SF, being pitted all over the place. But still better done than that sorry piece of trash.

-At the mid of the campaign the game does take some sort of a nosedive, chapters seem to become shorter and there is less exploration. It seems Machinegames put on the brakes here. The fetch quest chapters are a bit tedious and feel like padding.

Its all in all a fun romp and I am sure some people who feel the Ps4 sees a drought currently will enjoy this a lot. I just have a hard time recommending this for the full whack. Its a big game, sure, and there are unlockables but its still a single player only game that can be finished within a night or 4. I don't see myself replaying this.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I booted my ps4 copy up when I got home from work.The 5gb wasn't bad,took about 20mins to download and install
    I personally love it,the game engine is silky smooth with excellent lighting and yes the textures can be a bit low but the atmosphere is excellent.
    Playing it on the 3rd difficulty settings and the AI is not that bad from what I've witnessed.I will admit I do love rooting around for collectibles,right up my ally

Also special mention to GameSeek who upgraded my order to the occupied edition free of charge,thank you
    Last edited by BIG EDD; 20-05-2014, 21:38.

Comment

I'm still a bit on the fence at the moment with it. It firmly feels like a PS2 era FPS with PS3 era graphics running on a PS4. So much of it is dated, but I'm struggling to draw a line between what's intentionally so and what's not. There's certainly a charm to it and I'm enjoying it so no harm. Though a drug squad might need sending round to Eurogamer for that 9.

Comment

Eurogamer gave it a 6

Comment

I'm two hours in. I'll admit it, it's old school fun

Engine is all about 60fps and the game feels great. Reminds me a lot of bioshock 1. Feels more like an 8 so far.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
            Eurogamer gave it a 6
            You're right! Read too many reviews today twas CVG that went 9

Comment

Done the first level...am playing on Death Incarnate and it seems OK difficulty wise....unless an alarm goes off!!

Scouring the levels...found some hidden rooms. Couldn't work out how to open one though so the puzzles aren't all obvious.

Am constantly checking the perk menu for what my next unlock will be too

So, fun so far. Last gen fun...but still fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
                Eurogamer gave it a 6
                Eurogamers reviews for FPS are just a joke these days they called this one wrong and they also called Killzone on the Vita totally wrong . Looking this game at the mo , they some good old fashioned shooting with manic set pieces and fire fighters . Simple clean fun and the game is all the better for it.

Anyone who likes old school FPS and the likes of Rage needs to pick this game up . Its just such a shame the 1st 20 mins or so its so totally crap (and will no doubt put many off the game) Stick with it and the game just gets better and more insane with each new level

Comment

The first 20mins is awful?
                  I must have low standards

A.I is hilariously bad... If you get stuck just hide 5 feet from a doorway and they funnel themselves into your bullets.
                  Especially easy as you can lean without being near any cover! Comes in handy on the trickier sections

Comment

The first 20mins is awful?
                    I must have low standards
                    Yes its just so boring and little action . Only starts to really get going the moment you pick up the 1st gun

Comment

The beginning was decent I thought. Its just fetching but sets the tone, in that its not another CoD.

The worst level by far, is the

mecha level. Its utterly terrible. But, know that you can switch to a minigun with d-pad.

Comment

I also thought the opening was awful, a really bad first impression. Got going once the gameplay features started opening up about half way through chapter 1.It looks a bit arse but it seems to run well. Gunplay isn't top tier FPS but at least the weapons feel meaty.

Highlight so far is walking into a room with low health. Seriously. It's been years since I've played an FPS that allows me to have low health.

Comment

Game is pretty nice... 8/10 for me, but havent finished the game yet.

What I do not like is the insanely overpriced collectors edition

I just wish games could go back to old school when it comes to collectors editions... NONE!

Comment

Loving this game and by GOD does this game make you hate the Nazi's . Have to say this game also had the odd jumpy moment and a really funny witty and well written script . Nice to see a WW game that really tries to separate it's self from the norm with an alternative outcome and setting

Comment

I'm hitting Chapter 12/16 now and whilst its old school fun I'm not sure yet how bothered I am following the other story strand as it's getting a bit samey now. I'd say it's the kind of game I'd recommend people play but more so when it hits the sales.

Comment

Working...
                              X