Smash Bros 3DS/WiiU (full game) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kryss View Post
    Local multiplayer WITH LAG? Are you kidding me?? We couldn't figure out what was causing it (we didn't rule out the cross-region factor). It affected 30% of our games and was a major annoyance.
    If you were at a school, did they have a lot of Wi-Fi networks?

The only time I've ever seen lag in a local DS game was at Tokyo Game Show, where there were like 24 Wi-Fi networks in the background.

Comment

I guess that could be the case. Strange it was only at certain times though.

Comment

I've only ever played brawl and never gotten along with it either, glad I'm not the only one. It's fun with a bunch of people but so is not playing any games...

Comment

Well I've had a good go of this now and, yeah, it's probably not for me. I spend half the time trying to find my character. I also think the jump button should be B but that might be changeable in options. The graphics on 3DS look gorgeous close up and so 1 on 1 battles tend to look pretty good but I found adding more characters made it very messy visually due to the low res of the 3DS screen and the constant camera movement. The models don't seem like they were designed to be seen at a distance and so become just a mess of pixels. And yet I love the look close up. The Villager in particular looks great.

The voice guy sounds like the guy from Powerstone which serves as a constant reminder of a similar yet (for me) better version of the idea. Still, the draw of the characters is undeniable and even with just a few selectable characters it is so clear that the game is loaded with fanservice and that's always going to be very attractive.

Comment

I know I'll have plenty of opportunity to play at school, and even win a few (the guy I was playing against today was versed in combos and stuff I've never bothered to learn, but yet I still got a few in). I have it pre-ordered for a decent discount and am looking forward ot the 1P mode as well, like I have done on all the previous games.

Comment

If anyone has any spare demo codes could they PM me one? Or you could sell them on ebay in the crazy world we live in:

Get the best deals for Smash Bros Code at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

EDIT: Thanks Dogg!
              Last edited by Briareos; 13-09-2014, 11:10.

Comment

I'd also appreciate one. Seems like a comprehensive demo though.

Comment

I would really like a demo if anyone has a spare lying about.

Oh, just saw that link. Wow! People actually paying 20 quid for a demo? I guess there's no chance anyone will give one away then!
                  Last edited by boxhead; 13-09-2014, 11:35.

Comment

You guys should be looking in the news thread then, there's a load in there already.

Comment

Had a quick go on this last night after booting up the cube version for a comparison. First thing I realised is that I'm not very good, much like my memory of how good a skiier I thought I was before an eye opening holiday. I was so rusty i was doing up-b recovery moves before my double jumps when knocked off the stage! Its a shame that in both cases (demo and cube) I couldn't disable the up to jump option, as I'm trying to get out of that bad habit I learned while using the Wii version.

I liked the feel of the villager though I'm finding it tricky to get a tree fully grown an chopped down in a useful manner, and I'm pocketing air quite a lot too! All the gold we are earning here, do you think it will transfer to the real game? As there is nothing to spend it on so why include it here, one can but hope.

Comment

Bought the full game yesterday and have been enjoying it so far.
                        Quite disappointed that you aren't able to change the controls from the stick to d-pad, has always been a problem for me getting into Smash Bros. since I hate how much throw analogue sticks have.

Hadn't really been keeping up with news about the game so quite suprised how much single player content there is, the angry birds style Smash Bomber game is really addictive, and haven't even tried a few of the modes yet.

Another thing that I found a bit strange is that you don't seem to be able to use the Mii Fighter in online mode, I could understand they would be a bit unbalanced because of upgrades but all they really needed to do was make a kind of default stat level for them in online mode.

Overall very fun so far, should keep me busy until MH4G next month.

Comment

4 years being platinum and no codes for me. Subscription cancelled.
                          Honestly, I'm looking forward to the 1p modes the most.

Comment

Played it, can't stand it. Great fan service but not fun on the small screen at all.

Comment

Played a bit more and i'm starting to get the hang of Link i think, also it does seem to be remembering my coin count so maybe we can cash in later? Does everyone else find that when quitting the game it totally resets the console as if you had made a clock change in settings?

Comment

got to admit the smash brothers games never gelled with it at all i am sure there are these nuances and higher level play but for me i just did not get it

Comment

Working...
                                X