Smash Bros 3DS/WiiU (full game) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Largo View Post
    How would you describe this game to a total layman newcomer, i know its a fighting game, but is it in the same genre as say street fighter executions and combos, or is it a different beast altogether? I always want to try get into fighting games but the difficulty always gets me stuck at square 1
    I would describe it as a 'party fighting fan service game' with loose controls and a very limited single player experience. IMO.

I would sell it in a heart beat but my son loves it......GGrrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
      a very limited single player experience. IMO.
      That's a joke, right?

There's tons of single-player content in Smash 3DS/Wii U, far more than there has ever been in any Smash game.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        That's a joke, right?

There's tons of single-player content in Smash 3DS/Wii U, far more than there has ever been in any Smash game.
        IMO different ways of playing a shallow game doesn't mean much, especially playing it on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
          IMO different ways of playing a shallow game doesn't mean much, especially playing it on your own.
          Then by your logic surely all one-on-one beat-em-ups are shallow?

I think Smash has more depth and nuance to its core gameplay than you're giving it credit for, maybe? I've certainly seen some live high-level competitive play that I didn't think was possible from the game (as somebody who didn't care much for the franchise before the 3DS/Wii U versions were released).
          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 09-01-2015, 22:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Then by your logic surely all one-on-one beat-em-ups are shallow?
            I don't compare Smash Bros to any other fighting game as I do not get any joy from playing it (like I said its me and my perspective). Everything about it (to me) screams party game, mates on the couch type gaming.

Perhaps it does have some hidden depths but I do not consider the game worthy enough to sink the time into finding them.

Comment

I'm with Press Start tbh. I've never been sure the game has any deliberate depth, rather enough moves to suggest it has anything. In anything other than 1v1 it's a mess. It's fun but just too much. I've got it to play with my daughter only.

Comment

I love it, 3DS version. Mind you I never got into that finger-contortionist frame-counting hardcoreness of the serious fighters. The joy of Smash for me is in seeing the daft moves and scenarios that happen all the time. Don't give a damn whether I win or lose as long as I look totally absurd in doing it.
                Last edited by Golgo; 10-01-2015, 18:27.

Comment

Quick question from my kid - with the 3DS version full game, can you play local versus against someone with just the demo?

Comment

Haven't tried it myself but I wouldn't have thought so.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      Quick question from my kid - with the 3DS version full game, can you play local versus against someone with just the demo?
                      No, every player requires a copy of the game to play it - it has no download play and you can't play against the demo.

It's the primary thing that has stopped me from buying it, and why I waited to get the WiiU version.

Comment

That's a shame. She'd like to play against her sister but there's no way we'll be picking up another copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          That's a shame. She'd like to play against her sister but there's no way we'll be picking up another copy.
                          Similar situation. Blobcat and I have 3DSs and we play a lot of multiplayer games together, but like **** are we buying two copies of Smash Bros just for that.

Comment

MewTwo DLC codes are now being sent out to everyone who bought/registered both games

Edit: Also a new patch available allowing more stages for 8 player brawling (It simplifies stages to Omega form, otherwise they are too complex). And an improved sharing feature that I haven't tried yet.
                            Last edited by Fader209; 15-04-2015, 10:27. Reason: Patch details

Comment

Working...
                            X