No announcement yet.

Alien Isolation review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished this now, was absolutely excellent. Atmosphere especially, was slightly ruined by the

flamethrower

, but enough to stop a very good game.

PC Version is superb too, well optimised, looks great supports Ultrawide displays without any tinkering.

9/10 from me!

Comment

Picked this up on Monday for the 360. Up to Mission 5 now, but I can't play for long stretches due to the intensity. Was proper ****ting myself last night, Hid in a locker for 10 mins (are they lockers? Under the circumstances I'm more inclined to think they're portaloos), came out and walked straight into it. Great game.

Comment

Finished this the other night. My fave game I've played this year. One thing that makes me laugh though is how much noise she makes when closing the locker doors when hiding.

Comment

After a couple of decent sessions with this I'm really enjoying it. The focus of the game is so pure and undiluted. And many of the moments it creates feel organic and personal to the player; a brief sighting of the alien slowly emerging from the shadows across a huge room, the tension of just waiting for an elevator, simply hearing a noise and having to hide, etc.

Sure, there are frustrating moments, and some parts may take numerous attempts, but that just makes reaching a checkpoint all the more satisfying.

I hoped this would be the Alien game to finally do the film justice and a few hours in it feels like it might be. It appeals to the fan in me and the gamer too. Brilliant so far So good I don't even feel bad about paying full price for it two days before GAME halved the price.
          Last edited by Atticus; 16-11-2014, 08:05.

Comment

Started this today only to be confronted by a bug in the very first mission/explore the ship. Can't open a briefing and have seen this is a common problem. I have only can't three Xbox One games and two of them have had issues with bugs. Very frustrating.

Comment

I've had quite a few bugs. Usual one is not being able to open the map or use the scanner and the game freezing at the rewire stations. Only way to resolve is to quit to start menu, reloading a save doesn't work. :-(

Comment

I'm almost a third of the way through this. It's so hard to love but only because it's so utterly exhausting to play. CA have completely nailed the atmosphere and tone of the series, on pins the entire time and creeping slowly to stay hidden as your so weak against the enemies

Comment

I loved playing through this on PC, was a real joy but tough going. Still probably the best game on Oculus Rift (bar Elite)

Video contains swearing and spoiler

Comment

Bought yesterday on PS4 for ?22 from CEX.

The atmosphere is utterly incredible. I'm playing through headphones and every pipe, footstep and creaking panel puts you in a state of fear.

Graphically it's very nice and the aesthetic of Alien with its chunky monitors and sphincter air vents is wonderfully realised.

It is, as others have said, knackering to play. "Enjoy" isn't a word I would use to describe playing it but it's grabbed me and makes me want to keep playing.

I'll keep playing for sure but mostly in small sittings. Mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      Mostly.
                      Nice one

Comment

Newt's the real hero of the story. True survivor.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                          Bought yesterday on PS4 for ?22 from CEX.

The atmosphere is utterly incredible. I'm playing through headphones and every pipe, footstep and creaking panel puts you in a state of fear.

Graphically it's very nice and the aesthetic of Alien with its chunky monitors and sphincter air vents is wonderfully realised.

It is, as others have said, knackering to play. "Enjoy" isn't a word I would use to describe playing it but it's grabbed me and makes me want to keep playing.

I'll keep playing for sure but mostly in small sittings. Mostly.
                          Completely agree. Threw it into hard and it's so tense. The head tracking for peeping is a god send, I'm too tense to remember the controls.
                          One question though, the box says impulse triggers are used, what are they?

Comment

Playing this now and its very immersive, all except for a fixed health bar in the botton left of the screen, which you cant remove.....what nincompoop let this through quality control....

Edit - hud of on nightmare mode
                            Last edited by dvdx2; 03-01-2015, 23:04.

Comment

Great game from what i played, but when i got to medbay **** really started to get serious and it was too much for me to handle lol.

Comment

It's a friggin locker sim! And I'm on an easier setting (despite years of practice im still **** at gaming). Lots of bugs on PS3. Floating guns, music and other sound disappearing, unable to exit ground vent, attacked by Alien only for it to dissapear before my eyes, fallen through floor, clipping on one part. Still an 8/10 from me though. Atmosphere sublime even if "enjoyment" isn't the word I'd use. Horror gaming has replaced horror movies for me. Can't remember the last time a film scared me (okay The 4th Kind).
                                Last edited by iloveannie; 15-01-2015, 22:42. Reason: Pressed wrong button.

Comment

Working...
                                X