No announcement yet.

Far Cry 4 PS4/XBOX ONE review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loved Far Cry 3 but this one is one is giving me a hard time. i am roughly 5 hours in and finding the story and characters neither appealing nor intertesting. the Himalayan setting is nice but the story and action don't really fit in here. gunplay is poor, weapons feel underpowered whereas enemies are ridiculously overpowered and can only be downed by precision headshots. even hunting dear becomes a challenge since most of the animals are also bulletproof and suck up to 5 sniper shots or 30 rounds from an AK. due to constantly dying i've already switched to easy difficulty but this doesn't do much i have the feeling.

technically the game is a mixed bag on Xbox One. it delivers visuals which range from dull to very impressive, depending on the surrounding. voiceovers are not lip synced, the textures can look very rough and flat and the draw distance could be better. lighting and shadows are very last gen. on the positve side characters look fantastic, there's next to no pop-in and the framerate seems rock solid so far.

was Far Cry 3 really so much better? or am i just spoiled by Destiny, which is currently the benchmark when it comes to first person shooting

Comment

Far Cry 3 was exactly the same except the main character was really unlike able. And it ran at 3fps

Comment

Finally got all the Belltowers courtesy of the mini-chopper.

Lost interest for the moment, as there was a chase mission which was not helped by not knowing exactly what I was supposed to be doing.

Comment

i tried landing on top of some belltowers but always crashed.

yes, it's basically same formula as FC3 but it doesn't come together as polished as it's predecessor. played FC3 on my 360 a few months after release and had no problems with framedrops. overall a technical masterpiece on last gen hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
            i tried landing on top of some belltowers but always crashed.

yes, it's basically same formula as FC3 but it doesn't come together as polished as it's predecessor. played FC3 on my 360 a few months after release and had no problems with framedrops. overall a technical masterpiece on last gen hardware.
            It doesn't drop them they just aren't there to begin with!

Comment

well i admit i am not prone to lower framerates as long as they are mostly stable in the region of 25 - 30 fps. but as far as i remember i was pretty amazed by what the engine achieved overall on the outdated 360 hardware. can't say the same for FC4 unfourtunately.

Comment

I'm usually ok, but it's an example of an end of gen game that was just pushed a little too far in my eyes (Shadow of the Collossus on Ps2 was another)

You do get used to it after a while, it's not the most fast paced of FPS games so it's still very playable.

Comment

I've been after Far Cry 4 for awhile but ?50 for a polished version of Far Cry 3 seemed a bit steep.

Spotted it for ?24 in Sainsburys over the weekend and got so stuck in, I played about 7 hours of it! It's a really fun game with some beautiful environments and satisfying combat. It's not stunning and doesn't really do anything new or pull of something groundbreaking but there's some cool elements to it that separate it from the faster than the original Quake level of play COD currently sits atop.

Had a great moment yesterday where I was scoping out this compound, planned my angle of attack and then. Well, Animals!

Comment

Another game which has been on my 'played a couple of times before moving onto something else, before deciding I really should play through the huge amount of games sitting on my 2TB HDD before buying anything else....'

Loving it - it took a while to click, and I'm now enjoying the way I get constantly sidetracked from the campaign missions. Part of this is to try and pick up as many trophies as I can, but it's mainly due to how much fun the game is.

Just wondering whether anyone on here is after the two co-op trophies and fancies getting together online one day? My username is tonyda1971 - drop me a message on PSN if so.

Comment

Working...
                    X