No announcement yet.

Metal Gear Solid V review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Played the prologue yesterday and was constantly thinking WTF is going on but I loved every minute of it. Also downloaded the iDroid app to my tablet. First ally my teeth has a use

Comment

i have a question; why was this game made.

MGS4 had a great farewell. Big Boss and Snake reconcile and Big Boss makes his peace with his interpretation of The Boss' will, then the credits play 'Heres to you', an appropriate salute to the characters, you the player and goodbye.

In the next sentence is speak about the emotion of the ending however i do not discuss any details related to plot etc.

Kojima tries to invoke a similar emotion in the ending of this game, about identity and the relationship between the key characters and you the player embodying them and their actions, but it is no way as good as mgs4s ending.

Like i understand it was made to make money and it does a great job as a standalone game.
      Don't get me wrong its a really awesome game.
      But why do i care about more big boss back story? The character met his ultimate end in the last game, and it was well done! It left an emotional moment with me.
      In terms of the metal gear narrative this game is pointless and emotionally it falls below mgs4s ending as a farewell to the series. Oh yeah and its unfinished (The CE showcases the incomplete final mission and ending dev reel), so whatever farewell they wanted to accomplish has fallen short before you've even opened the cd case.

Comment

Must admit, I thought MGS4 was a bad ending to the series!

Snake has a gun in his mouth for most of game yet even Kojima fails to pull the trigger, a marriage happens out of nowhere, plot ends are hastily wrapped up with Nanomachines and despite the whole game having a theme of ending, the last part of Snake's story is delivered by text talking about how he's not sure how he will end...

I was gutted playing the end of that game.

Comment

Lol that marriage. I had totally forgotten that but that was hilariously absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Largo View Post
            i have a question; why was this game made.

MGS4 had a great farewell. Big Boss and Snake reconcile and Big Boss makes his peace with his interpretation of The Boss' will, then the credits play 'Heres to you', an appropriate salute to the characters, you the player and goodbye.

In the next sentence is speak about the emotion of the ending however i do not discuss any details related to plot etc.

Kojima tries to invoke a similar emotion in the ending of this game, about identity and the relationship between the key characters and you the player embodying them and their actions, but it is no way as good as mgs4s ending.

Like i understand it was made to make money and it does a great job as a standalone game.
            Don't get me wrong its a really awesome game.
            But why do i care about more big boss back story? The character met his ultimate end in the last game, and it was well done! It left an emotional moment with me.
            In terms of the metal gear narrative this game is pointless and emotionally it falls below mgs4s ending as a farewell to the series. Oh yeah and its unfinished (The CE showcases the incomplete final mission and ending dev reel), so whatever farewell they wanted to accomplish has fallen short before you've even opened the cd case.
            It's not intended to be an ending. It's intended to show how Big Boss became such an ass. I agree with Wools re. MGS4 ending, which I thought was wretched and silly.

Comment

Wool's proposed ending of MGS4:

Spoilers for a 7 year old game!

Snake dies heroically after walking through the microwave hallway and uploading the computer virus. Hal retrieves all the info about the Patriots and the American government and makes it public after Snakes death, tying in nicely with the theme of passing on your DNA rooted in MGS2. Raiden would have sacrificed himself trying to stop Metal Gear Ray and the Patriots Battleship at Shadow Moses. Meryl ideally would never have meet Johnny and would have grieved over Snake making their relationship more heartbreaking when Snake dies.

All the other bull**** about Big Boss being murdered as an old man, Ocelot having a ****ing arm from Liquid, I would have nuked it from orbit when Kojima requested it! I really hated how Kojima and Konami made such a deal about Snake wanting to die before the release and how this is the end of MGS but it was so light on actual consequence and actions. No one of importance dies, nothing big story wise occurs, it just ties itself up on little detail that no one cares about.

Arguably, nothing of importance occurs to the main cast from the end story beat of MGS1 to the end of MGS4, bar the brilliantly handled death of Hal's sister in MGS2.
              Last edited by Wools; 04-09-2015, 14:49.

Comment

I can't remember the ending to MGS4 except for liking it up to a certain point and then it undid a whole bunch of stuff and just kept on going and was utterly pointless. I may have had a rant.

Comment

The ending to 4 felt never ending, there was some stuff I liked and some stuff I didn't... mostly anything related to Big Boss which felt really unnecessary. I never took MGS4 as an ending though so it didn't stick with me too hard. Always felt like the franchise was ongoing and the only reason MGSVs ending will sit awkward is because of the behind the scenes stuff. Had Konami not imploded on its dev team a sixth entry would be a given.

MGS3 will always hold best ending honours. I wonder if Konami will try and cash in with a remaster of MGS4?

Comment

MGS4 is the most unmemorable one for me, I can barely remember a thing about it.
                    MGSR:R has the award for the most insane ending of any Metal Gear game. That really was nuts.

So I'm about 35 hours into V now, it's still really great. I've done about 22 Story Missions and I'm getting more regular cutscenes and story now, which I'm quite pleased with. They have created quite a lot of filler to pad out the main game, even if you haven't touched the side ops, so whilst it might not be quite a dense as the normal 6 hours of play an MGS story playthrough, you are certainly getting more game for your bucks. I guess that is what is pleasing some people and angering others.

Comment

not sure if this will turn out the best entry in the series for me but i am really liking the game so far. the open world scale and attention to detail remind me a bit of the Witcher 3. i have encountered a few texture bugs on PC where some hi res textures in the far scenery wont load and a few framerate drops in the menu (WTF?). oh and i miss David Hayter. i really do. Sutherland is not Snake, his voice isn't even close to Hayter's.

by the way, emblems can be edited from the customize menu entry while sitting in the chopper.

Comment

Yeah alongside various other things like changing the colour of Mother Base, I only discovered that Menu last night. I've got a Bubblegum Pink base now

Comment

let's start a kickstarter campaign to get Hayter do a post release dubbing.

Comment

Not only does Kiefer sound wrong, Ocelot sometimes sounds like Kiefer, which confuses things.

I have Rebel Yell blasting when my pink chopper lands :-)

I have had a lock up too (PS4). Whole display froze (audio was still going). However, I was able to access the menu and return to the checkpoint. Most polite game lockup ever?

I didn't spot the
                            on mother base for a few missions and Snake ended up with

flies buzzing round him

. Eugh!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              I have Rebel Yell blasting when my pink chopper lands :-)
                              Is that in the game or some other PS4 feature?

Comment

It's a real life feature, just don't ask where the audio is coming from.

Comment

Working...
                                X