No announcement yet.

Horizon Forbidden West - PS5/PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New update has added new game+ as well as a few other features.
    The big thing is the performance mode now uses a new TAA solution and has a 4k checkerboard by the look of things.
    Looks like a good time to jump back in.

Comment

...And jump back in I did. And oh dear my issues with this game still stand. If fact its worse.

Firstly, Aloy doesn't carry enough weight and dashes about far too quickly. You'll often find yourself standing on top of loot boxes you only wanted to open simply because Aloy darts around too quickly to stop in time. Or you run clear off a cliff edge.
      The climbing mechanic has improved since the first, but again she moves so quickly you don't really get a sense of drama or exertion, she simply climbs as quickly as she runs. Its a disservice to the animators too since they've added more movements to her climbs that whiz by so fast you cant get to really soak them in.

This frantic movement only gets worse during combat. You'll find yourself spinning almost constantly trying to get a shot in on fast moving targets or getting struck by attacks form lord knows where. There is sometimes so much happening on screen that its completely crazy.
      Explosions, lightning attacks, Tail swipes, missed targets, dodges, more lightning attacks. There is almost no let up.
      In many games the player is given windows of opportunity during combat; Enemies will duck behind objects and reload, or they have a 'tell' that an attack is going to happen, or there will be a pause after an attack to give you an opening. No so in Horizon. The mechs can and do attack relentlessly. Aloy on the other hand has to manually draw her bow or wind up a melee attack, leaving you open. Its the wrong way round, the AI is playing us in Horizon, not us playing the game.
      Take Elden Ring...You have blocks, counters and dodges. Ghost of T, you have blocks counters and dodges. In Horizon you only have dodges and they are 50/50 because enemy tail swipes can clear whole forests. You don't even have any I-frames! You can be hit...while being hit! Or hit while recovering from a hit. Hell, you can be hit while hitting!
      Sure I can knock the damage down, but that's not leveling the playing field, that's just killing and not dying quite as fast.

In short, they needed to dial everything way the **** down. Slow Aloy, give her some weight. And slow the carnage of combat down, give people a moment to think.

Comment

Lets shove you in a world full of metal derranged dinosaurs and see how slowly you move around, i for one would be speeds gonzales 24/7 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          ...And jump back in I did. And oh dear my issues with this game still stand. If fact its worse.

Firstly, Aloy doesn't carry enough weight and dashes about far too quickly. You'll often find yourself standing on top of loot boxes you only wanted to open simply because Aloy darts around too quickly to stop in time. Or you run clear off a cliff edge.
          The climbing mechanic has improved since the first, but again she moves so quickly you don't really get a sense of drama or exertion, she simply climbs as quickly as she runs. Its a disservice to the animators too since they've added more movements to her climbs that whiz by so fast you cant get to really soak them in.

This frantic movement only gets worse during combat. You'll find yourself spinning almost constantly trying to get a shot in on fast moving targets or getting struck by attacks form lord knows where. There is sometimes so much happening on screen that its completely crazy.
          Explosions, lightning attacks, Tail swipes, missed targets, dodges, more lightning attacks. There is almost no let up.
          In many games the player is given windows of opportunity during combat; Enemies will duck behind objects and reload, or they have a 'tell' that an attack is going to happen, or there will be a pause after an attack to give you an opening. No so in Horizon. The mechs can and do attack relentlessly. Aloy on the other hand has to manually draw her bow or wind up a melee attack, leaving you open. Its the wrong way round, the AI is playing us in Horizon, not us playing the game.
          Take Elden Ring...You have blocks, counters and dodges. Ghost of T, you have blocks counters and dodges. In Horizon you only have dodges and they are 50/50 because enemy tail swipes can clear whole forests. You don't even have any I-frames! You can be hit...while being hit! Or hit while recovering from a hit. Hell, you can be hit while hitting!
          Sure I can knock the damage down, but that's not leveling the playing field, that's just killing and not dying quite as fast.

In short, they needed to dial everything way the **** down. Slow Aloy, give her some weight. And slow the carnage of combat down, give people a moment to think.

are you getting input lag as this is weird its not something Ive noticed or seen anyone complain about, im always able to stop where i want, the only other thing i can think of is do you have always Run set to on in the options? If things are to aggressive and frustrating you can always tweak the games difficulty, lower levels, lower enemy aggression and make for a more pleasant play through.

As for combat Just like in souls If you run into a massive group then your gonna get smacked about. you cant go in all gung ho, i think the game would have got a lot more stick if enemy's lined up and took turns to attack, that's why you divide and conquer like you do in a souls game, timing is key too, Ive noticed that if you wind up your heavy attack and launch it at the right time you don't get interrupted.

Theirs loads of ways to stagger enemy's too, and each one seems to have unique tactics, the Hippo/Widemaw, seems to be really weak and gets staggered if hit in the mouth while charging at you thunder jaws have a core in their center that's really weak and big cannons you can knock off and use against them, Glinthawks are weak to fire and a well placed shot makes them explode and fall form the sky. Using elements against enemy's is a good tactic too, hitting a poison or ice bottle or fire container with the same element can causes it to explode creating a massive aoe explosion that freezes poisons or set on fire all the nearby surroundings.

Ive just got back into it myself, i was a bit too burnt out after Elden ring to commit to another massive world game but a break has done me good and i cant put it down now, the story is ace the combat is meaty and i love exploring this world and finding new areas weapons and loot.
          Last edited by Lebowski; 17-10-2022, 14:40.

Comment

Got the platinum for this over the weekend, theirs still more to do as i have a load of Armour and weapons left to upgrade, quite a few question marks left on the map and some challenges in the arena left to do. Combat gets really clever in the later game and stringing together moves that you learnt in the fighting pits and in the hunting grounds means you get some really varied and interesting combat flowing that makes this really fun to play, add in the mounts including the

Flyng one

and you get a really fun world to explore, i admit it took me a bit to get into but once it opened up it got going it was a really engaging and interesting world to explore. with some really good story threads. While not as good as Elden Ring it came a close second for me.

Comment

Fired this up finally, playing balanced which is 40fps with vrr 120hz ; looks incredible, plays really well except the climbing is absolute dog****.

I'm having fun riding my dino and exploring. Early days but enjoying it so far! But as someone said the robot dinos have amazing senses they seem to come from miles away when in combat. Some of the combat moves are pretty sweet, the one where you jump off their head and slomo bow is awesome.

Comment

Theirs visual aids for climbing, they help massively and fits well with the in-universe Focus i'd suggest turning them on if you're struggling.

It makes climbing super quick and takes off all the guess work out of it.

Comment

I turned that on straight away, apparently you can now turn on auto collect for resources now as well which got patched in after i completed it.

Comment

Wrong thread
                    Last edited by huxley; 23-03-2024, 09:44.

Comment

Working...
                    X