NeverAwake [PS4/5/NSW/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NeverAwake [PS4/5/NSW/PC]

This showed up on Steam late last year, but it's just landed now on PS4/5 and Switch. Digitally it's £19.99 on PSN, £16.99 on Switch, or alternatively there's physical versions available from Japan.

It's an auto-scrolling twin stick shooter with nightmare-themed fantasy stages and enemies. Think somewhere between Death Smiles and Geometry Wars, but with a heavy sprinkling of Vanillaware essence on top?

Stages are pretty short but to clear them you have to collect "souls" which add to a percentage-based counter, and which are released from enemies when you kill them. Make it through the stage but don't quite make it to 100%? A new loop of the stage begins. At the start you're able to take 2 hits per stage, so while this may change, at least from the beginning, the focus is on shorter bursts of gameplay rather than lengthy 1CC attempts.

On top of directional shooting, your left shoulder buttons can do a short dash in whatever direction you're facing and grants you some invincibility, whereas the right shoulder buttons use your special. Naturally you get limited charges of this, but there's an in-game shop where you can buy different special types and power up the ones you have, as well as other inventory items that can give you other benefits.

I've only had the chance to play through the first world so far but already I think this is very impressive. There's a lot of emphasis on the story side of things between stages and while I don't have much to say about that yet, in-game it's gorgeous to look at and plays very nicely.

Finished this today with the basic ending. Stages get a little bit longer and certainly get more chaotic, but they still remain quite brief. You scale up with the increased chaos quite nicely, ending up with a pretty expansive array of power ups - a much larger health bar, front and back shields, auto health restores at key moments of progress, and lots of powerful secondary weapons too. You can't have it all at once naturally, but it is pretty clear that certain setups will fare you better in some stages rather than others. The game is actually pretty up front about this - if you keep dying to a boss it'll start dropping hints about how it's expecting you to handle certain patterns, whether that's through movement or a particular load out.

When you get the first three worlds done you start unlocking alternate goals for a few stages, and it's these which I'm assuming I need to do for the 'true' ending. I've done the first few worlds' worth, and they typically involve either beating a boss 'completely' (ignoring the souls they drop after each phase so the fight doesn't end early), reaching 100% on a stage in its first loop, or finding and destroying a hidden item. I've also had some fun going for a couple of the trophies - I spotted one for reaching the 10th loop of a stage, so back to the first stage I went, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun I had watching the dynamic difficulty do its thing, making even the start of the game look like a proper bullet hell title.

Really nice little game this - definitely worth a look in for shmup fans, and given it's a twin stick game don't even need to bust out a stick to play it.

Comment

Working...
    X