No announcement yet.

Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, they would have just nuked the place. Like they were just about to do...

Comment

Right, I've been sucked in, sucked right into this. I finally "get it" the clincher was when

Originally posted by spoiler
      Ocelot tried to spin his revolver on his left hand and dropped it and the whole psycho mantis deal
      That sealed the deal for me, I like the cut scenes, the control is a little wonky but the acutal characterisations and the campness self referential nature does the trick. Its seriously unserious.

Comment

Having rattled through this a second time to see the Otacon ending, I agree wholeheartedly with Jibber: the trick to enjoying the story of Metal Gear Solid is accepting that diffrerent sections need to be approached from different POVs. In full-on serious mode, the story has an operatic power to it that's pretty unrivalled, but it's equally enjoyable when it's gone full circle into ultra-camp, tongue-in-cheek territory. Say what you like, MGS is still one of my favourite games, and The Twin Snakes is a fantastic encore.

Comment

Interesting really, I've completed it, and for all it's dramatics and meandering plot fudgifications it really didn't feel that "big". Unusually the whole being in a consistent and unchanging area struck me as a little restrictive, as did the obvious low-fi level design. And it seemed to suffer from a stretch finish syndrome.

Overall it struck me as a bit "pfft" maybe it was the 30mins of intercut final boss strangeness, its like they couldn't decide when to cut the chord. And they just kept going and going and going at the end, felt like Matrix Reloaded.

The MOST disappointing aspects for me were:
          The combat is embarrasing
          The Guard reaction nuance and fields of view
          The graphics were average, the Metal Gear itself did look like a ps1 game

The MOST encouraging things:
          Inventory management was pretty darn tooting in the end
          The Cardboard Box (gaming legend)
          The unusual characterisation

But quite frankly it did feel like half an update to a game made in the late 90s, and the ledge skill was useless. The worse thing is I can't decide if I liked it or not.

Comment

just started playing this game - was kinda looking forward to it for some time

some of the old ps1 tricks dont work anymore, i am playing it on normal and you used to be able to hide in the truck and under the tank but when you try that they just lob grenades at you so i guess teh game is alot harder and even walking above the guards and they hear the slightest thing they come to look and they never give up looking for you

just beaten revolver and the first person mode came in excellent to defeat him quickly and to add the cut scenes are amazing - the scene when ninja fights with snake just after he cuts of revolvers hand it one of the bet i have seen in a videogame

Comment

Holy CRAPHATS.
              I just polished this off about half an hour ago, after a monster all day session.
              Having played MGS and MGS2, and loving them both to death, I felt that I was putting myself in a dangerous position playing the remake of a classic... But not to worry.
              First off, it's nice to see Snake's old haircut back.
              Naturally, the cut scenes are incredible... they haven't lost any potency with the addition of the m4d /\ct10n, although the supah cool sliiiiide that snake does after dodging the blast from the tank wasn't there anymore. He did do it just before the final boss battle, so not all is lost.
              The gameplay additions fitted in perfectly. You could make cunning usage of them, if you were clever.
              For example, there's a quick way down from the control room next to Rex, which is handy for the multiple trips. The method? Dropping off the side and catching the ledge below. Niiiice.
              The first person perspective makes combat easier, which is definitely needed. The guards now are absolute animals. They just keep coming at you, one after another after another. None of this vanishing business either. If you dispose of them, you need to REALLY dispose of them, and you have to be careful that they don't contact HQ. This makes it much more appealing to go through steathily, which the game lets you happily do, apart from a few certain sections which I'm sure you all know about.
              It's nice to see they're tightened up the plot re: MGS2.

Only bad points:
              - Some really minore frame drops during one or two cutscenes.
              - Audio/subtitle desyncing during codec sequences, which led to uncomfortable pauses. Really a minor thing though.
              - DAVE?!? WTF?!?

Can't wait for MGS3 now
              I might just have to pull an allnighter with MGS2. I'm just in that mood... [/fanboy]

Comment

Got this yesterday (after waiting for the post for about 2 weeks )

Anyway! I have it now, which is what counts...great game. Took me about 5 tries to actually do the first section but after that I was unleashed!
                Got up to the Raven tank battle, which is great fun (unless you spend 20 minutes hiding behind a rock )

Liking it, especially as I've never really played MGS before..well, just a little bit (the GBC one was quality )... Looking forward to playing some more.

[ PS:- I know you can get grip level 2 but can you carry on levelling up after that? ]

Comment

there's supposed to be a grip level 3... not seen it myself yet.

and 'dave' worked for me purely for the:

Dave & Hal '2001: space odyssey' in-joke! (otacon's ending; "trip to jupiter")
                  i the step-up in guard AI between difficulties... so much more satisfying (from a replay point of view) than simply taking more damage / doing less damage per shot...

Comment

In case no-one else found this, I got a dogtag from Meryl.
                    When you get her from the toilets, use a stun grenade on her then shake her and you get a Meryl dogtag.

I was well happy...but then she came round and slapped me

Comment

I watched a friend complete MGS1 on PSone many years ago and remembered it being quite good so I purchased it on GC.

The game has stood the test of time very well; the characters, locations and story are fantastic and I love the new cutscenes.

I also like the way that MGS:TTS also knows that it's a game; in that it's humourous and that some puzzles are designed to get the player really involved, such games are very hard to find nowadays.

Comment

heheh...I got a dogtag from Psycho Mantis too the ugly mug

...btw, I'm still baffled with the grip levelling-up system. Do you have to do 100 pull-ups in one go...at the same time? In the same area...or just in total overall. I could've sworn I'd done 100 by now

Comment

Originally posted by Oh! My Car!
                          In case no-one else found this, I got a dogtag from Meryl.
                          When you get her from the toilets, use a stun grenade on her then shake her and you get a Meryl dogtag.

I was well happy...but then she came round and slapped me
                          You can also get it from her when you are
                          fighting mantis and you have to temporarily knock her out, you can then shake her body while she's dazed.

Comment

waah! Levelling up grip takes aggges! ft:
                            Are you sure it's 100 you have to do?

Comment

This highly-charged remake has laid to rest any doubts that Solid Snake is the greatest vg character of all time.

Ryuhei Kitamura's cinematic action scenes are perhaps the best choreographed action in any game ever. Hiring him was a genius decision.

The sharp new John Carpenter-ish soundtrack is also nicely done and very fitting. Surprisingly the Dolby Pro Logic is also extremely well used throughout.

A great package, complementing MGS2 well indeed.

Comment

wahey! Level 2 grip! I was only about 2 pull-ups from 100
                                Also, I think doing only 10 drop-catch-grab thingies is the equivalent to 100 pull-ups

oh, and loving the sniper battles

Comment

Working...
                                X