No announcement yet.

Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe there's something wrong with me but I found MGS TS the most unplayable pile of crap I've experienced in recent memory. I sat down last night determined to enjoy it as I had failed previously. I'm not criticising it from a production standpoint as it is very slick. The gameplay however is just a complete chore imo. The controls are simply hideous. It seems impossible to be smooth when snake keeps flattening up against walls when you don't mean to, crawling backwards when all you want to do is turn around and not being able to shoot a got damn thing without wasting a whole clip.

It took me literally 30 odd attempts to get past the very first section. All I want to do is kill the friggin guards so I can make my way to the lift but it seems beyond the skills of the bumbling retard snake. When you punch a guard down he gets back up almost immediately no matter how many time you do it. You can't strangle him when you lift the body, instead you have to let him get up, and then sneak up on him again to try the choke which for me fails more often than not, only to be killed again. It really would make sense to be able to kick the enemies to death when they're down, hell that's what I'd do instead of standing there while they get back up and fill you full of holes.

I'm sure this makes me sound completely rubbish at gaming, but I'm generally pretty adept, this game however is behond me.

Apologies for the negative rant but this game really got on my nerves all last night. I don't remember the ps1 version being so damn fiddly and unresponsive.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle
      Maybe there's something wrong with me but I found MGS TS the most unplayable pile of crap I've experienced in recent memory.
      Yes there must be something wrong with you.

This game is simply fantastic, and the gameplay is silky smooth. Maybe your gamecube is broke or infact maybe you are broke?

Comment

The games about stealth not killing. The best way though the first section is to evade and aviod the guards.

Comment

I definitely wouldn't try MGS3 if I were you

Maybe there's something wrong with me but I found MGS TS the most unplayable pile of crap I've experienced in recent memory. I sat down last night determined to enjoy it as I had failed previously. I'm not criticising it from a production standpoint as it is very slick. The gameplay however is just a complete chore imo. The controls are simply hideous. It seems impossible to be smooth when snake keeps flattening up against walls when you don't mean to, crawling backwards when all you want to do is turn around and not being able to shoot a got damn thing without wasting a whole clip.

It took me literally 30 odd attempts to get past the very first section. All I want to do is kill the friggin guards so I can make my way to the lift but it seems beyond the skills of the bumbling retard snake. When you punch a guard down he gets back up almost immediately no matter how many time you do it. You can't strangle him when you lift the body, instead you have to let him get up, and then sneak up on him again to try the choke which for me fails more often than not, only to be killed again. It really would make sense to be able to kick the enemies to death when they're down, hell that's what I'd do instead of standing there while they get back up and fill you full of holes.

I'm sure this makes me sound completely rubbish at gaming, but I'm generally pretty adept, this game however is behond me.

Apologies for the negative rant but this game really got on my nerves all last night. I don't remember the ps1 version being so damn fiddly and unresponsive.

Comment

Maybe there's something wrong with me but I found MGS TS the most unplayable pile of crap I've experienced in recent memory.

It took me literally 30 odd attempts to get past the very first section.
            I never found any of that except the 30 odd attempts. On the PSone original it took me over half an hour to be brave enough to come out from under the watertank.

Twin Snakes is brillant but I found the original PSone version to be more enjoyable. The GC remake's graphics seem to lack the detail that was found in the original and as was reported at the time, it had a look in common with P.N.03! I also prefered the lack of a first person viewpoint as it's possible to dart all the guards in every area wheras in the original you were forced to sneak around them or get up close. Finally the music of the original was replaced and the cut scenes were far to over the top, even for Metal Gear!

Overall the Twin Snakes is absloutly brillant but I found the extra's to be unwaranted and the original to be more of it's time.

Comment

Hmm. If i pick up another cube im going to give this a try as the previous two times ive owned a cube i never managed to get hold of a copy of twin snakes much to my dissapointment as mgs on the ps1 is in my top 5 games of all time8-)

Comment

recently played it through twice on my cube, so now i have the tuxedo, bandana and stealth

Comment

The Twin Snakes was the biggest disappointment on the GameCube for me simply because the controller in comparison to the PS2 pad just did not work for the game. I spent most of my time in frustration and tackling the pad instead of enjoying the game.

I also couldn't care about any of the characters because they all sound so bored whereas the PSone version had that extra spring of life to make you sit up and appreciate the whole cinematic experience.

The original on the PSone is better in every shape and form.

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Terrestrial
                    The original on the PSone is better in every shape and form.
                    But how well does it hold up to this day? I too didn't really get on well with the cube controller in TS, seeing as how Metal Gear is designed for the ps2 pad and nothing else. That, and the fact that gamecube remake wasn't made by Kojima's team, but rather one of Nintendo's second parties (so it just FEELS different).

I'd thus love to give MGS1 a go, but I'm afraid I won't be able to play it, given how badly it seems the graphics have aged.

Comment

TS now fits into the cannon more than MGS does.
                      As a MG noob I couldn't play them on PS1 or PC (tried many times) but am very near the end of twin snakes right now and enjoying it

Comment

well, I for one give a vote to the original PS1 classic - stay with it, in the end you'll see why its better then Twin Snakes...

Comment

Nostalgia does play a role in maintaining MGS' superiority over Twin Snakes, but the improved voice acting, better music and slightly less OTT cutscenes (seems absurd to say that given it's MGS) do it a lot of favours. There's just something missing about Twin Snakes which makes it seem out of place - it's probably due to it being a remake so soon after the original's release. Another five years, a la Resident Evil remake, wouldn't have done much harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Light
                            I'd thus love to give MGS1 a go, but I'm afraid I won't be able to play it, given how badly it seems the graphics have aged.
                            You could go with playing it emulated on the PC, using ePSXe on high res with the opengl2 plugin and all the fancy filters turned on it will look a lot better.

Comment

Theres no need ps1 mgs has stood up pretty well and still looks and plays very, er.. Solid if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Light
                                But how well does it hold up to this day? I too didn't really get on well with the cube controller in TS, seeing as how Metal Gear is designed for the ps2 pad and nothing else. That, and the fact that gamecube remake wasn't made by Kojima's team, but rather one of Nintendo's second parties (so it just FEELS different).
                                if you love sniper wolf as much as otacon - the gamecube version is the best and it has more funny bits thrown in for good measure

for example sniper wolf actually looks like a woman in the cube version whereas in the PSone version she is a mess, looks like acid has been thrown on her face

also just after you beat her in the gamecube version you get 3 guards that appear to stop Snake and one of them wacks him with his rifle, to which snake just looks at him, walks towards him - the soldier panics and snake collapses - honestly it is funny

some battles are better on the PSone though

the hind battle even though looks great on the Cube, just seems to work better on the PSone, but the fight against Psycho Mantis is better on the cube as

you have to work your way through 4 controller ports rather than 2

and Meryls bum looks better on the Cube

all the added MGS 2 elements in the cube version make it easier imo

Comment

Working...
                                X