No announcement yet.

Gamestm issue 20 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair enough I'll conceed! I already subscribe to both anyway, I need plenty of reading material for the toilet so I can keep up to date whilst performing nature's duty - I really ought to post a piccy of my toilet with the four foot stack of TM's and Edge in there...or maybe not.......

Back to the topic, what's with the JSR style teaser for next month. Do you know something we don't?

Comment

It's not a teaser for next month, you must've missed the 'Next month' page.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBrother
        Space Channel 5:2 - 7 ?!?
        Initial D - some piss poor score I can't remember !?

You lot are the anti-Sega!
        Yeah I think we did the Initial D thing to death. I actually like the GamesTM review (score 6), although I perfer my own

Was actually a nice constructive debate iirc and we all agreed that Edge were just plain wrong with their review and score of 3

The defense at the time, which I think is valid is that a print magazine review is far less detailed as a lot of the time there are limitations on space. Covering a game and trying to give the reader a sense of what its like to play in only a few hundred words can be very very difficult.

Comment

Edge scored Initial D a 5/10 with their main complaint being that they felt it was only an average racer. I have to say, I agreed with them.

I see PGR2 is still on the Games TM most played list. Are you guys getting any good at it now .

Comment

No... not really.

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
            What's with the regions on the reviews too? The region say Japan for Four Swords+ but from reading the review, I guess you reviewed the US version... which you subsequently said the NTSC version was better in the little box out thing? It happens frequently throughout the magazine.
            No, it doesn't. The tag 'Origin' on the info box at the side refers to where the game was made - not which region we're reviewing. As such, you'll notice that all (or at least, 99.9% of them) are absolutely correct. Come on... look at recent examples like Singles: Flirt Up Your Life or Transformers. You didn't honestly think we'd reviewed the German or Australian versions (as their Origin slot says in the review), did you?

The NTSC thing in the Zelda review is an error though - I did originally put Jap, but it got changed by the sub. Needless to say, I slapped that bee-atch upside the head, fo' shizzle.

Comment

Strider, am I right in thinking that the guy in Japan is Tim Rogers?

Comment

Originally posted by martTM
                The NTSC thing in the Zelda review is an error though - I did originally put Jap, but it got changed by the sub. Needless to say, I slapped that bee-atch upside the head, fo' shizzle.
                damn right

Comment

OK, cheers mart -- I never really noticed other "Origins" (although German and Aus. PAL reviews are feasible) apart from this issue; I thought it was the game region reviewed rather than where it was developed (which also seems odd considering publishers and various other bits of info).

It should be which region you've reviewed 'cos I'm sure I've asked which region has been reviewed before now. Does it say anywhere?? I don't remember and don't have the mag handy...

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
                    Edge scored Initial D a 5/10 with their main complaint being that they felt it was only an average racer. I have to say, I agreed with them.

I see PGR2 is still on the Games TM most played list. Are you guys getting any good at it now .
                    My bad it did indeed get a 5. Oops.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                      It should be which region you've reviewed 'cos I'm sure I've asked which region has been reviewed before now. Does it say anywhere?? I don't remember and don't have the mag handy...
                      The only real indication comes through common sense and the release date bit. We always list the UK release date - if it's a PAL release, it'll either say Out Now (if the review is late) or a date in the very near future with no reference to US or Jap dates. If it's an import review, it'll list the UK date (usually quite far ahead or even TBC if it doesn't have one) followed by a US or Japanese date, which is usually out now... otherwise, we wouldn't have the code. Then it's all down to common sense ? the review text may mention which region it is and usually, you can see from the screenshots which region (particularly games that have text on screen). Other than that though, there's nothing - we like to think the readers know what's what, without having to slap a huge 'Import Review!' sticker on it.

Comment

But often all of those things are missing from the review! The mag is hardly consistent, well shody Nobody was asking for an "Import Review", just the region you were reviewing. I thought that's what the little data sheet was all about but I guess I was wrong; seems like anyone's guess with this mag.

Not mentioning it could be considered misleading or aren't you allowed to say you're reviewing another regions games these days??
                        Last edited by Commander Marklar; 18-06-2004, 20:22.

Comment

I've never had any problems working out what region the review is before.

Comment

Working...
                          X