Eyetrek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eyetrek

Does anyone else own one of these? It's made by Olympus and it's a device which is basically glasses you wear including LCD screens, simulating an enormous cinema screen and includes earphones for surround sound. Sounds tacky but it's excellent, here you go:

It really does make you feel as close to being in the game as anything does. I got it out today and tried it on my new Xbox, specifically Halo and the experience was nothing short of absolutely stunning-total immersion and excellent surround sound, it was genuinely terrifying at times. I got everyone to have a go and they were totally addicted to it, it made Halo 10 times better (which is hard to do anyway). I'm having a bit of a problem getting it to work with my Pal Xbox games for some reason-I set my modded Xbox to be in NTSC game mode and Pal display mode and it worked perfectly for Halo NTSC, yet my other games are Pal, and PGR2 for example flickers-even in Pal mode which is odd.

So does anyone else have one? I suggest you buy one-fully supports RGB too, although the standard cable doesn't. The kit includes a scart cable, it extracts video rather than outputs it. So if you have a scart splitter for example as I do, plug the scart cable of the Eyetrek (it's actually 3 composite leads and one of those comp. to scart converters) into the scart socket of the splitter where your normal splitter to TV cable would go. Then simply switch devices as normal and they're appear on the eyetrek.

So does anyone else have one? I definitely recommend one. Playing Pilotwings is absolutely terrifying, and I tried it with Resident Evil and ED and it really was scary.

They must be cheaper nowadays-I think I paid around ?250 at least for it a few years ago.

don't they damage your health and make you slaughter your family?

Comment

I had a bit of a mad spending spree about 2 years ago and splashed out on a pair of these in Argos (?299).
      They seem a great idea at first but......... Try playing a first person game with any fast movement ie Gran Tourismo and you`ll find it hard not to move your neck, they gave me neck ache just trying to keep my head still. I`ll admit the immersion is fantastic.

On the down side they do make you make you look a bit of a knob and anyone walking in the room WILL laugh at you, can be a bit of a pain to get them to stay still also.
      I`d go for a new TV which I`m sure you can pick up something realy nice for the same amount of money.

The standard EU version cant do NTSC the ones that do cost a lot more.

Get the feeling I skimmed the first post DOH!!
      Last edited by huxley; 02-07-2004, 21:57. Reason: I`m a nob lol

Comment

Yep, I heared they were pretty hit and miss things - guess it depends on the brand.

I also heared they weren't very good for your eyes in the long term

Edit :- Did a search and found this

"WARNING: To prevent serious injury: See manual for safety information before using. Not for use by children under 16. Consult a doctor before use if you have a heart disorder, high blood pressure, a visual field impairment, or an eye movement or alignment disorder."

Last edited by Spatial; 02-07-2004, 22:06.

Comment

Hehe yeah there's lots of scary eye trek warnings.

They do take a while to get used to as like other people have said you do keep trying to move your head a lot.

I picked up a NTSC pair from VGI a few years back for ?149 they were ex demo but the worked fine. The only problem i have is im missing the video lead that came with them (weird R,W,Y composite plugs & on the other end a headphone style jack) i got a similar cable from maplin but when i tried to play and video through it the picture was rolling & messed up but the sound was fine. (im guessing its wired up differently from the original cable that was meant to come with it)

Luckily the model i have has input for S-Video so i use that for the video and the other input for sound.

They are indeed fantastic to use for games, i remember playing biohazard on GC and i was totally immersed. What i didnt hear was my mum calling me for dinner. Next minuite she had come into my room and tapped me on the leg. MY GOD i neally **** myself (^_^).

Fzero GX is also amazing to play speeding round the tracks with the cockpit view makes your head spin.

Pilotwings is loads of fun & super monkey ball as well (monkey target & race are so cool when playing on eye trek)

Heres the model i have (FMD 011F)

Comment

I don't own a pair but used Impotaku's when I went down to his place a few weeks ago. Played F-Zero ont he Game Cube with them and thoughtthat they were fantastic. The only problem I had was that I wear glasses which made getting them in focus a bit of a pain. Next time I'll wear my contacts.

Yakumo

Comment

This guy tried those out:

Comment

I was going to buy a pair a couple of years ago. They had them in Another World (spit) but they never replied to my emails about them, and I eventually lost interest.

I always thought Rez would be awesome on them.

Comment

I'd rather put ?250 towards a bigger telly than end up looking like the dude from Star Trek...

Comment

there was a model made specifically for the PS2, complete in original PS2 colour scheme.

Forget the actual mode number mind.

I used a pair at a show one time and thought they were great but still far too expensive to warrant home use. I would rather use my projector, at least them you are prone to neck ache and can play splitscreen.

Nice gadget mind, just wish they were cheaper.

Comment

I'll get a pair when I see some at a reasonable price. iE sub ?100.

I won't really use them for the games I play most often (Perfect Dark and 2D fighters), it'll be more of a novelty purchase when I do splash out, therefore it can wait.

Comment

Swapped mine in for an xbox at Gamestation, wasnt that impressed with the weight, the picture quality or the the pain in the neck (no pun intended).

Comment

Originally posted by nonny
                          there was a model made specifically for the PS2, complete in original PS2 colour scheme.

Forget the actual mode number mind.
                          Yeah i got a pair of those a while back. I think its somthing like (runs downstairs) FMD-20P "personal LCD display", black with the PS2 logo slapped over it. I got them for when i go away and still want to game (after finding hotel TVs incompatible/crappy), and to go to mate's houses to play linked games and not have to lug a TV over there. There work really well in that respect, but i do not rate them as a TV/PJ replacement.

But i think they've been discontinued now? So i wonder if there's a gap in the market for something new and better!

Comment

Think that would make my eyes go very messy!

I'd rather spend my money on a projector, huuuuge screen multiplayer is just too good.

Can see where these would be useful for some though.

Comment

Working...
                            X