Official gamesTM Issue 21 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alf-Life
    So, GamesTM then, any good? :P I've only ever bought one issue, and it seemed alright... from what I've heard it's like Edge but with its head slightly removed from the arse area. And enthusiasm for games put in.
    It's great - I'd give it 8 G's.

Comment

I'd give it 8/10 also and at only ?2 month by subscription well worth it.

Great front/back cover this issue by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by hankwangford
        Aw, although I was expecting it, for Eastside Hockey Manager to get a 6 is breaking my little heart What did the review say about it, other than the inevitable "BUT IT'S USING THE CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER 3 ENGINE!!!"?
        "Hockey is rubbish, I don't understand it, therefore this game gets a low score", apparently, although I haven't read my copy yet (turned up this morning as I was on my way out), so that might be sour grapes from hockey fans.

Comment

Originally posted by davidholliss
          I'd give it 8/10 also and at only ?2 month by subscription well worth it.

Great front/back cover this issue by the way.
          I thought it was a good cover this month too (the back cover makes it) despite featuring cars (for a change). Best cover yet to be honest. Could be the lack of text on the front...

Talking of subs, I renewed mine earlier this year (Strider, you should let me win the next late night race seeing as I'm keeping you fed) and I nearly had to pay quite a lot. I ran to get my copy and managed to argue my point but the chap at the other end was still adamant that ?2 an issue was for new subscribers only.

Otherwise haven't had much of a chance to read anything other than the 'Driv3r is crap' review.

Comment

Quite a good one this month, plenty of articles worth reading.

I wonder when we will get to see some actual gameplay screenshots of Burnout 3 rather than enhanced (read photoshopped) "marketing" shots from EA
            Last edited by SuperBrother; 14-07-2004, 17:56.

Comment

Nah... Best cover was the Devil May Cry 2 one (shame the game itself was pants).

Comment

Outrun in the retro section? Strider is the king

Comment

Originally posted by GordonJ
                  "Hockey is rubbish, I don't understand it, therefore this game gets a low score", apparently, although I haven't read my copy yet (turned up this morning as I was on my way out), so that might be sour grapes from hockey fans.
                  To be fair, as a hockey fan, the demo is quite disappointing. Using the dated CM3 engine was a chronic move IMO. But still, I thought with the manual I might actually know what I was doing!

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace
                    Outrun in the retro section? Strider is the king
                    That's the nicest thing I've heard all day.

Comment

PN03 == SEGA??

edit: spot the all caps filter

Comment

Originally posted by hankwangford
                        To be fair, as a hockey fan, the demo is quite disappointing. Using the dated CM3 engine was a chronic move IMO. But still, I thought with the manual I might actually know what I was doing!
                        Actually, having now read the review, it's a lot more positive than I was lead to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBrother
                          I wonder when we will get to see some actual gameplay screenshots of Burnout 3 rather than enhanced (read photoshopped) "marketing" shots from EA
                          It's an EA game - since when have any of their games been shown through proper screenshots before review?

That said though, I'll admit I'm amazed it's running on a PS2 - it looks absolutely bloody gorgeous. It certainly shows the difference in production values between EA games (specifically the Sports BIG range, which Burnout 3 reminds me most of) and Acclaim's titles.

Comment

Burnout 3 does indeed look great. The demo doesn't have any 'proper' burnout effect though, which is a big shame. Hopefully the final version will.

The EA Big Radio whatsit BO3 is getting, is it of similar quality to that of SSX Tricky and SSX3?

Anyway, good issue. Great cover\ back cover, you should do similar every time. Have a picture of Master Chief on the front, and then a crumpled Master Chief body on the back page. Have a footballer on the front, and then a crumpled body of a footballer on the back.
                            It'd be like the front cover is saying "Game On!", while the back cover is saying "**** off!".

Damn, I should work in magazines.

Edit - forgot to say, the lead artist who worked on Escape from Butcher Bay has the most freaky-looking beard I've ever seen.
                            Last edited by PeteJ; 15-07-2004, 11:06.

Comment

You're only saying that because you want one for yourself. The beard, I mean... not the magazine.

Comment

Nah I enjoy PacMan Vs too much, and without any Wavebirds a beard like that would cause an awful lot of problems.

By the way, Strider, the letter written in the Retro section pointing out loads of mistakes in your Star Soldier reviews was actually an ex-NTSC-UK writer

Comment

Working...
                                X