Games that stand the test of time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games that stand the test of time

I was revisting several old games yesterday thanks to the beauty of Xbox and Mame, and for me the one game that still plays superbly today is Shinobi. I loved it the first time round, but playing it again with a Hori arcade stick on a big screen the magic is still there. I adore the calculated and clinical gameplay, and special mention must go to the crisp sound effects. Any others that are as good today as they ever were?

On that XBox Mame tip, Pac-Land is still suprisingly good, and not as tough as I remember it being.

Gyruss and Phoenix are still great fun, I still love the Gyruss music. Galaga 88 is probably my favourite Space Invaders style shooter ever, and criminally overlooked for the most part.

Gravitar is very cool, especially as more people have played Thrust which is based on it.

Star Wars arcade is still genius, but finding the right kind of controller for it is almost impossible.

Gauntlet and Marble Madness (in particular) are still thoroughly charming.

Crystal Castles and Missile Command are still some of the best track ball games in existance. Surpassed only by Armadillo Racing and Monkey Ball (arcade) I'd say.

Out Run is still as good as ever in my opinion, Space Harrier and Afterburner are a little naff these days though. ukresistance disagree with this :

Video games news, opinion and lifestyle photography from the United Kingdom of the World

On XBox Frodo (or whatever the XBox C64 emu is) I've been playing Bounty Bob Strikes Back, Paradroid and Gribbly's Day Out, truly great games one and all.

* edit * spelling is a problem today

Comment

Funny that you mention it. Yesterday, I put Metroid Prime on hold and started to wander with Super Metroid. In the end, I spent 5 hours from the beggining to the underwater world.

I'm planning to finish it tonight. As much as I love Prime, all I can think today is to play Super Metroid (and no stupid scanning all the time)

So yes, Super Metroid is as good today as it was before, if not better.

Comment

Most of the games I remember being good were just cack - anything older than 32-bit I generally avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by dgnr7982
          Most of the games I remember being good were just cack - anything older than 32-bit I generally avoid.

weirdo

Comment

Originally posted by dgnr7982

Anyway, I can't even begin to put a number on the amount of hours I have played Rainbow Islands both on the Arcade on now MAME, and along with R-Type which I can now 1 credit ( ) are two of the best games ever.

Comment

Robotron and Joust or course. Defender is too tough without an arcade stick.

Comment

I've not long got a PC Engine and can't tear myself away from R-Type either.

For my money still the best shooter ever.

Comment

Hmmm.. I can only think of Yoshi's Island on SNES. Playing Super Metroid makes me depressed for some reason...

Comment

T2K on the jag

Gunstar Heroes on the MD

and Skool Daze on the speccy!

Comment

Streetfighter 2
                      Smash TV
                      Robotron
                      Shaolin's Road
                      Galaga 88
                      IK+
                      Bomb Jack
                      Gunstar Heroes

All as playable now as they ever were.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by muddy
                        T2K on the jag
                        Ah, yes indeed. And the original arcade version (thank you Game On!)

Jay

Comment

Agree about Metroid, definately the reason to own a GBA although not sure its as good as the SNES version.

Me and my brother has a mad couple of days when we I borrowed my mates Xbox playing hyper sports - miles miles better than Track & Field. The amount of variety in all the different games was amazing rather than just constantly hammering the buttons like in T & F.

Brother still plays Rastan Saga, Ghost'N'Goblins and Green Beret a lot. I thought Shufflepuck Cafe still plays amazing as does Ramparts.

Comment

Yossy Island
                            F Zero
                            Geomon
                            Super Metroid...

All still incredibly perfect after all this time.

Comment

Super Mario Kart
                              Flashback
                              Sonic (Master System)

None have aged at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X