PSX Emulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
    What do you mean dude? The PSOne controllers aren't pressure sensitive and the analogue works fine, once configured.
    Sorry, I used the wrong word. I meant analog. The sticks are not analog via emulation.

Comment

Mine are

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon2k4
        What's VGI?
        Virtual Game Station.

It was a rival for bleem, but ran only software emulation, no configurtion. Sony had it pulled from the shelves but its easily available for download.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Salter
          PSX emulation was never that great, and it still hasnt improved. Still can't play much of Xenogears through it
          I'm not quite sure what you mean; I've played a great many PSX games emulated and although it's certainly not perfect I'd say you'd have to be pretty fanatical about the little details to be that bothered by it. From my experience, it's excellent; I've never seen a single game refuse to work (although of course I'm not saying there aren't any that don't) - the worst I ever got was CD audio not working on two titles. Wip3out being one of them - other than that, it ran absolutely fine IIRC... play Winamp in the background, problem solved. Xenogears definitely ran very well apart from some slowdown, which doesn't bother me at all. (I was more bothered by the fact I think it's a terrible game - worst ?60 I ever spent - but that's a whole other argument. Anyway, by all means correct me if 20 hours in or so it packs up... I couldn't take it beyond about 15, I think it was.)

I appreciate lots of people don't think like me. I'm very tolerant of shortcomings in emulation - I've played through a great many games with various graphics and sound errors and whatnot where many people simply wouldn't bother. You prefer to play something on the original hardware, or a PS2, or you don't like emulation unless it's 99.999999% accurate, then fine. Great. But from what I've seen of ePSXe in its current state even at my most cynical I still find it difficult to understand how anyone could call it "not that great". Saturn emulation, perhaps, or GameCube or Dreamcast... (not meaning to demean people's work in those areas, just to say they're still a long way off very accurate).

Comment

Considering most games have skipping sound, fudged textures/graphical glitches, controller problems (htf are you gonna use 8 buttons on a keyboard? o_O (I could use a pad but meh)) and the fact to get the game to a playable state needs a ****load of configuration, it's complete ass.

It's not like a SNES emu where you say "LOAD ROM PLZ" and it works 99.9999999% of the time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Salter
              Considering most games have skipping sound, fudged textures/graphical glitches, controller problems (htf are you gonna use 8 buttons on a keyboard? o_O (I could use a pad but meh)) and the fact to get the game to a playable state needs a ****load of configuration, it's complete ass.

It's not like a SNES emu where you say "LOAD ROM PLZ" and it works 99.9999999% of the time is it?
              Well, no, but...

Heh, not sure why I'm even bothering, but -

Skipping sound: most games the sound works pretty well for me, though I admit it's obvious it's not the original hardware and there are often problems.

Fudged textures/graphical glitches: right, and the great majority of these totally destroy the gameplay experience, of course. Sorry to be sarcastic, but black lines around sprites and the odd flickering texture, or effects looking a tad funny every now and then, aren't grounds for going "OHGODWTFITLOOKSLIKE****!"

Controller problems: Why on earth would you even consider using the keyboard anyway? For any console emulator? Why don't you have a cheap gamepad for your PC? Again, it's being snappy and I apologise, but as far as I'm concerned even if you're just playing SNES ROMs you ought to have one, end of story.

****load of configuration: Not in my book. Once you know what you're doing - and ePSXe is not that hard to get the hang of - you can generally find a decent configuration that'll run the majority of games in a playable, watchable, listenable state on your machine, and then it's just whatever tweaking you want to experiment with for individual titles on top of that (which most of the time I don't even have to bother doing). I mean, one man's plug & play is another man's ****load, and so on, but I don't count myself as particularly patient and I had very few problems getting the thing going.

Basically, you want emulation to be 99.9999999% accurate or use the original hardware; fine, good for you, no sarcasm or malice intended. But other people do occasionally have more forgiving standards than yourself, wherever they're getting their games from, and to dismiss the whole thing as "complete ass" just because it doesn't meet your exacting standards... (and you've yet to say anything to convince me they're not exacting...) * shrugs *
              Not trying to change your mind or anything! Just to be a little less... judgemental, I guess.

Comment

ePSXe is pretty impressive, but I haven't found any game that's really playable from start to finish. It usually looks good, then you get some serious chugging in framerate (I have a very good PC thanks) which does make it unplayable.

The 3D games are often bad. Or good, but inconsistent. The 2D games fare better.

Comment

Working...
                X