Edge Issue 141 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Len
    Halo 2, with said article inside and no (thx god) info on the sp. As they say, they want ppl to play it without any prior knowledge.
    Who... EDGE or Bungie? I only ask because Bungie isn't saying anything about the single player (seriously, nothing), so that would explain the lack of info.

Not that I mind, of course. Means the hype isn't getting out of hand.

Comment

WOOOOOO FOR BURNOUT THREE

Give me this game.

Comment

Tut, I didnt get the mag thourgh the door today

Comment

For me, the highlight of this issue is the Lego Star Wars feature! Am the only one who reckons that looks fantastic? Had no idea it even existed either until that feature...

Comment

I agree, it looks like a lot of fun

Comment

Originally posted by martTM
              Who... EDGE or Bungie? I only ask because Bungie isn't saying anything about the single player (seriously, nothing), so that would explain the lack of info.

Not that I mind, of course. Means the hype isn't getting out of hand.

Bungie, there's a wry comment from Edge regards the fact that every journo tries to come up with more and more convoluted qu's to get a snippet on the sp. They won't say as word...

Comment

What's the "Making of.." this month? Always my favourite part of the magazine.

Comment

The making of is on MUD.

I really enjoyed that letter by Rene Kneyber on Kurt Vonnegut's rules of storytelling and how they might apply to games.

The Halo preview felt a bit filler like.

Oh and the article on shooters was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ish
                    I really enjoyed that letter by Rene Kneyber on Kurt Vonnegut's rules of storytelling and how they might apply to games.
                    Kurt Vonnegut is God... even if he does get sniffy about being labelled a "sci-fi" author...

Comment

I have an unhealthy obsession with Edge magazine. I'm still trying to piece together the last 15 issues to complete my collection.

But why they ever stopped doing those "look back at a seminal classic" is beyond me. There were still hundreds I was looking foward to reading. They were so well done I'd have bought an entire issue dedicated to them.

I live in the US, my issue takes forever!

Comment

Originally posted by BEBOPlover
                        But why they ever stopped doing those "look back at a seminal classic" is beyond me. There were still hundreds I was looking foward to reading. They were so well done I'd have bought an entire issue dedicated to them.

I live in the US, my issue takes forever!
                        They actually did do an entire issue - it was one of the retro specials. Unfortunately most of it was reprinted from the magazine but there were a couple of extra games featured.

Comment

Sabreman - that was the "Making of" special, you're thinking of. Since they're still being done (this month's is MUD), I think BEBOPlover is after the Retro-Review thing.

Comment

Got this for the first time in ages. Whilst it was undeniably a good read (it appears to have improved a lot since I last read it, about 2 years ago), I find their scoring disappointing as it seems to lack consistency.

DOOM 3, 7/10: a very balanced review, well written and interesting and gives the game a 7. The text pretty much matches the score, and all is well.

Second Sight, 7/10: the game sounds buggy as hell, awkward to play and not sufficiently well-balanced in regards to handing-out the physic powers. It's garnered quite a bit of negative press on the net and the review text bears out all of these criticisms. Yet this gets a 7 as well?!?

There's a gulf in consistency there. From the text, and using Edge's own scoring system, I would have given it a five, if I had read the text without a score. They should sort that out.

Comment

As I stated somewhere (maybe this thread), Doom3 was written by a mate and he gave it an 8. Edge took a mark off it somewhere in the internal process. I'll let him know you liked the prose though
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Yeah, I took note of that. I would be careful about mentioning his editor's/the magazine's policies on here, though. If they find out, he might be reprimanded for letting that little titbit eke out

To be fair to Edge, I think it reads like a 7, and that his editor probably made the right veto decision there. What I can't understand, though, is the scoring of the Second Sight review, which doesn't tally with either gamers' reactions or (more damningly) the text itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X