Best StreetFighter Game??? (Sorry!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best StreetFighter Game??? (Sorry!)

Sorry to ask what I expect has been discussed a million times, but can you SF experts please give me your valuable opinions?

What is the best of all the Street Fighters out now? I used to be big on this game, winning regularly in the arcades. Now I haven't played for years, and wanna get back into it on my new PS2!

The last one I played was SF Alpha 2 on the DC. I know many have come out since then. I don't wanna to know about any of the older versions and how good they were. Just the best of the newest ones from the last couple of years, and preferably 'Why' too if poss!

Input much appreciated!

What is the best of all the Street Fighters out now?
    Street Fighter 3 Third Strike.
    A PS2 conversion has recently been released in Japan and the US. (dunno about plans for pal)

If your PS2 is chipped (or US) I'd suggest getting SF Anniversary US Edition. It contains Hyper SF2 AND Third Strike. All for a whopping ?22!

If it's a PAL machine you'll have to hold on for Third Strike's PAL release.

Comment

SF3 Third Strike provides a lot of scope for gameplay but SF Alpha 3 is also a great streetfighter. Its a pure attacking game. Probably my favourite of all the recent games.

Comment

My favourite is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. But from recent play I'd say 3rd Strike is the best. I'm still not into the sf3 characters, but I haven't played it anywhere near as much as the other SFs.

Comment

Third Strike IMO.

By far the best, with SSF2T in close proximity though...

Comment

another vote for SF3:3rd Strike and Zero 3

Comment

3rd strike is the most tactical 2D fighter I've played in ages.

There's so much scope for getting good at the game, in the Alphas I feel that there's quite a ceiling, after a while it becomes pure tactics as you've reached your skill limit.

But in 3rd Strike, you always feel like you're improving. The more time you put in, then the more comfortable you are with parrying any hit the oppenent throws at you, you learn some bad-ass combos, and learn to really exploit the super-arts to their limit. I got a 15hit combo with Makoto's SA2 last night, and that's no-where near the limit you see the experts doing.

Comment

Alpha 2, with 3rd Strike in close proximity.

Alpha 2 just feels so perfect - the art style, the animation, the music the controls and additions... custom combos, enhanced super moves (over Alpha) and none of the fluff that makes Alpha 3 overloaded. 3rd Strike might be more tactical (and that's still a good thing), but Alpha 2 lets off a real vibe of 2D fighting perfection that I haven't ever felt since.

Comment

and none of the fluff that makes Alpha 3 overloaded
                  .: salutes :.
                  Aye. Zero 3 totally overeggs the pudding. Easy recovery rolls, everyone can air throw etc. etc. Takes the franchise even further away from what it ought to have been. Shame, as it has the best backgrounds and character roster of any SF game. The re-drawn 'Super' characters are a joy to behold. Definitely worth owning, though. I'd plump for the Saturn version.

Zero 2 is the best of the Alpha series. Very technical, great character roster and superb artwork.

But I agree with the general consensus: Third Strike is the best one of all, mainly as Tom says, because of the depth. Plus, I always preferred (even though I love Zero 2) the original 'grown-up' look to the sprites, lack of air blocking etc.

Comment

Third Strike is definately the way to go then!!!! Thanks guys!

So does anyone know when this will be getting released on PAL? Can anyone confirm that there are actually any plans for PAL at all? Is it out on NTSC yet?

Comment

Don't know about a PAL release, but it's out in Japan and the States as of now, yeah:

Originally posted by Yashiro
                      A PS2 conversion has recently been released in Japan and the US. (dunno about plans for pal)

If your PS2 is chipped (or US) I'd suggest getting SF Anniversary US Edition. It contains Hyper SF2 AND Third Strike. All for a whopping ?22!

Comment

It's out NOW???? I heard it was likely to be eerly 2005!!!! Nice!

Is the US version released slightly differently? Like the 'Anniversary Collection'? Woudl this be worth going for instead of the JP release?

Comment

By the way... what does everyone think of the SNK vs Capcom series?
                          The newest one... SNK vs Capcom Chaos is just out? Is this worth investing in?

Comment

Originally posted by yashiro
                            ...I'd suggest getting SF Anniversary US Edition. It contains Hyper SF2 AND Third Strike. All for a whopping ?22!
                            What is the difference between Hyper edition and Third Strike? Does Hyper include any decent extras?

Comment

I see. Hyper Edition is rather a nostalgic mix. Well, I may as well just go for Third Strike then. I really like the sound of it!

Comment

Working...
                              X