Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Psyvariar - Can you beat the ISO BUZZ scores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's so hard to explain it in words - come round and have a sesh!

Comment

Originally posted by Bleeders
      how does the buzz system actually work? Because I'll be racking up some good buzz and then I'll get blown to bits
      All but the dead centre of your ship can be used for BUZZing. Enemy bullets can actually go through the nose and wings of the ship and you won't be destroyed. The closer you can get to the enemy bullets and ships the more BUZZ you get (i think.) When you collect BUZZ your level meter increases, once its full the ship levels up (gets more powerful) and for a moment your are invincible (needed for some/all of the end of level bosses.) Obviously at this point you can destory enemy ships by ramming into them and/or steer through bullets to collect more BUZZ. I guess thats it in a nutshell - its quite hard to describe tbh.

If i'm wrong about any of this please feel free to correct me.

Comment

Another thing to consider:

The timing of the level up bar is crucial to getting anywhere on this game. In boss battles it has to be SPOT ON - if you dont learn how to time the bar, how much bar shooting an enemy will give you and the buzz rate for the different shots; you're only playing 1/2 the game.

Comment

Cheers guys ^_^

One thing I have learned with Psyvariar, is to milk the enemy gunfire for all it's worth before destroying them. When I first fired it up, I treated it like a straight shooter, which I soon realised that this method doesn't reveal what the game really has to offer.

Comment

A good way to learn a stage is to milk the enemies for buzz without shooting anything, keep this up for a while until you learn the shots.

Next (section by section if nessesary) work Destruction Rate into your routine - try and destroy just a couple more ships at a time by working out when you should use youe ship as a weapon or short bursts of laser.

Using this method I learnt how to 98-100 destruct Colony Stage with a higher buzz that ISO's DVD score (I think he was being conservative on the boss, cos he missed LOADS)

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
              Using this method I learnt how to 98-100 destruct Colony Stage with a higher buzz that ISO's DVD score (I think he was being conservative on the boss, cos he missed LOADS)
              Is that the boss where Iso moves to the side of the screenon a couple of streams? If so, it occured to me to that he was wasting serious buzzage.

Comment

He must have been playing conservatively - During them sections I'm right in there, dead center destroying my ship's paintwork.

The bit on that boss which makes or breaks a good score is the section where it fires a fast blast in all directions. You need to level up and position your ship EXACTLY dead center on the boss - all of that attack will scrape past you for about 300 buzz each shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                  It's so hard to explain it in words - come round and have a sesh!
                  We should have a Psyvariar meet up

Comment

You're welcome any time man!

I'm more up for beat em up meets tho.... (HINT)

Comment

damn... my GGXX skills are still lacking

How are you doing with it (or haven't you got a copy yet)?

Comment

I been playing a friend's one

I'm gonna be getting mine with my Evo ^^ - I NEED to train up with Goh!

Comment

Like Saur said, he`s talked me through the game and I`ve put less than 5 hours into it, but I`m very near to ISOs earth buzz (I can get 1127) although my destruction rate isn`t nearly as good as his (IIRC, he manages to kill almost everything on that level!).

That earth score is the only score of note as I`ve not been playing it long- I was also doing desert for a while, but decided that was a waste of time (again Saurs advice helped me in this one). I like how Valley plays and its not ridiculously complicated unlike some of the other levels, so I`ve just started practising on that.

I`m playing with the Tekken 4 stick and have to say I much prefer it to the pad (which I tried out at Saurs). I tried the `shaky stick` method but its ****ing hard to pull off!

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
                            I tried the `shaky stick` method but its ****ing hard to pull off!
                            Too true. I've been practising Earth without using R1. Managed a 949 BUZZ last night. I was all over the place - didn't really feel like i was in control of the ship and was overshooting BUZZing opportunities all over the place. Using the d-pad btw. I think its fair to say that the "shaky method" is nigh on impossible with a d-pad. I put my 949 run down to a whole lot of luck as it was a good 60 more than any other run i managed.

I do find the d-pad perfectly fine though if you do use R1.

Concentrating on Valley as well.

Comment

I've been playing with a Tekken 4 stick, and I don't think I /could/ play it on a pad ^^;; Incidently, thanks for pointing out the 'shaky stick' method, it feels a lot more fluent to me and I've moved to using it from the R1 button.

Now, all I need to do is get someone to chip my V3 (grr) and I'll be set. I'm having to play it on a mates at the moment.

Comment

D-pad is ok if your using R1. Might get an arcade stick just to check out the "shaky stick" method properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X