No announcement yet.

Handhelds On Public Transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had 3 PSP games stolen from my seat whilst I went for a crap on the flight back from San Francisco. Mint.

No one saw anything, typically.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows
      I just had 3 PSP games stolen from my seat whilst I went for a crap on the flight back from San Francisco. Mint.

Thats sucks.

I'll start taking mine into the loo with me now. i hope I won't end up dropping it in!

Comment

today i played ridgeracers and watched Bleach on psp on the train, good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows

Did you kick up a fuss with the air stewardesses? Just you have an enclosed space where people cant (easily) escape, so its ideal for cavity searches when they try to get off.

I would have complained heavily and say a crimes been commited and they should get the police to search everyone to resolve this, afterall they could be criminals scoping for a terrorist act! (etc add over hype as required)

TBH i'd be a bit worried pulling it out in a pub in London, sure you might not get jumped in plain view, but they might follow you with a posse. Sadly noone has noticed me playing mine in public yet.

Comment

Played PSP on Easyjet flight back to Amsterdam the week after (US) release - was good fun for the all of 25 minutes I was actually allowed to use the damn thing! As soon as the "fasten seatbelts" sign pings on the stewardess typically harass you to switch off anything electronic

- like an mp3 player or games system is going to interact/interfere with the flight controls :/ That'd be about as likely as Jeff Goldblum's laptop being able to interface with an alien mothership and allow wireless transfer of a virus written using DOS

Anyhow I did cop one comment from some guy on the plane who couldn't help himself asking for a go - "but.. but... that's not out yet is it?" "Oooh you've got Wipeout on it!" *jiz jiz*

Comment

Did the screen wipe clean easily?

Comment

Had my Hori Anti-Jizz Shield installed so that wasn't an issue

Comment

I've just had an interesting thought (well, it's interesting to me...).

The PSP, like all video games devices is going to attract a lot of young players (especially if it becomes as popular as predicted), and something that happened with me recently has made me wonder how the device will stand up if this is the case.

The other day I was visiting a friend of mine. She has a six year old boy who, having already had a go on my DS was pleased when I showed up with the machine in my pocket again. Of course, I let him sit there and play with it, but noticed that -as with most kids- he was pretty heavy-handed with it; stabbing the screen with the stylus, jerking the thing this way and that, and eventually giving it back with a heavily smudged touchscreen.

As the DS is quite sturdy (as with most Nintendo machines), his roughness didn't bother me at all, and I just let him get on with it, BUT it did occur to me that had I owned a PSP instead, I would not have let him near it. Perhaps the DS' bulky, ungainly design makes more sense than first thought?

Sony would tell you that the PSP isn't designed with children in mind, but if we are to be realistic, it's obvious the machine will have a large young following if it really does dominate the market. So, just how will the PSP's fragile beauty hold up against 'teh kidz'?

It'll be interesting to see, I reckon.
                  Last edited by Ady; 22-04-2005, 11:08.

Comment

I'm not sure Sony care to be honest.

The chosen design is to target gamers in there late teens and twentys. Those who have the largest disposable income. This leads to a trickle down effect and 'kids' will no doubt want one, but to have desgined it with them in mind would have alienated Sony's target audience, those who establish the PlayStation brand in the first place.

Comment

I'm not saying they should've designed the unit with kids in mind, but the inevitable popularity amongst that demographic may raise concerns over the machine's build.

You are right though, I doubt they care.

Comment

Yeah, I see what you're saying.

There are gonna be a lot of scrached PSP's out there. Probably a lot of fustrated parents too - buying them for Christmas and trying to take them back shortly after...

Comment

Working...
                        X