No announcement yet.

metroid prime 2 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Prime II was a poor , ruined by sequel by numbers design and far, far too hard for its own good.

I thought Prime III was a welcome return to form from the Team (even the music was back to its incredible best) Shame the Wii remote puts one of the game for life , but even that can't really hide or spoil what is brilliant game , just not quite as good as the 1st one

Comment

I posted this on another board when I played through Echoes, so whilst it isn't 100% relevant the majority certainly is. I think it's the best of the series personally.

Poor Dark Eather, misunderstood and disliked
      It's supposed to be dark and intimidating, scary and oppressive. You're supposed to fear moving more than 2 foot from the sanctuary of the light source initially.

It's the very antithesis of Light Aether and is supposed to serve as a warning- this is what the Ing have done. They intend to do the same to Light Aether. After that, it could be you... This is why Samus is helping. Just wait until the worm is dead, see what happens.

I've always found Metroid to serve the same idea, you're digging deeper and deeper into progressively darker and scarier places. This is offset with the fact Samus is getting stronger, but still, your dumped with little explanation on a strange, literally alien planet. Only Samus wasn't even supposed to be coming to Aether, never mind Dark. Surely it's only sense that she'll struggle so much earlier on. She's not supposed to be trekking about Dark initially, and I really wouldn't try it. Just wait a little... she'll become stronger and eventually immune.

I actually really like the Dark Aether too, even if it is very purple. It gives off a deep sea, underwater vibe to me. The swirly background, the bizarre creatures and plant life, heck even the necessity to run for the cover of light orbs. Initially every step has to be measured and careful, keep to the linear path and don't stray. As Samus becomes more powerful and earns the first new suit, she can become more bold and intrepid as she can survive in Dark Aeather's damaging environment for longer. But it's such a dark and oppressive place, full of danger. Isn't this exactly how a ravaged alternate world should be, to make Samus realise that the Ing must be stopped- just like it's pointed out ingame, this could happen to your species.
      Which reminds me: "Also, it is an exploration game that damages your health in the dark world. Even when you get the dark suit." Well, it's a spoiler I shouldn't yet know, but I guessed from seeing the trailer and subsequently asking somebody whose completed it- there's a 3rd suit that makes that point redundant.

The detail comment, I disagree with. Later on it's as detailed and interesting as light, albeit because it's all very surreal and sinister. The creatures are so bizarre, especially when the Ing have a hand in it.

All I can say is persevere, really. It's an odd suggestion as what's the point when you're not having fun and there's a million other games out there. I never felt this way over Echoes, personally. Prime I had to restart 3 times over months because of that stupid plant boss. I'm just glad I did, as after that Prime showed itself to be hugely special and especially memorable. Echoes clicked straight off.

Echoes isn't as consistently good as Prime, but at it's best it's even better. Chyyka, Sanctuary Fortress and Quadrixxaxis are all stuff that's above anything in Prime.

Quick tip, and one of the prettiest things. Deliberately leave a light beacon off... draw the enemy near, tempt it in. Oh, look. It's under the light beacon. Wham, shoot the beacon and see what happens.

Edit- oh yeah, the difficulty. Outside of one stupid save point issue and the horrible Boostball Bitch, I didn't find it too hard. Challenging, yes, but not too hard. And I'm rubbish at games.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        Not sure if I'd be called a Metroid fan. I've only played Metroid Fusion and absolutely loved it (and I have Super Metroid waiting on my US Wii at home). But I am a fan of the "Metroid-y" Castlevania's (i.e SOTN onwards), so hopefully that helps?
        fusion is fantastic, and if youre into metroidvania type games then id reccomend starting with prime 1. likes been said, it is easier to get into and not quite as opressive, but having said that, if you like 1 then you wont have any reason not to play 2. i dont get all the hate for it. oh and of course if you have a wii mp3 is my top game of the console. absolutley stunning. i might even start it again on hyper now

Comment

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
          and of course if you have a wii mp3 is my top game of the console. absolutley stunning. i might even start it again on hyper now
          Yeah, I didn't buy it as I already have the other two unplayed on the shelf here....

Comment

Working...
          X