Crapola Two Player Fudging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crapola Two Player Fudging

I'm interested in those games that seem to have included 2 player, or more, as a statistical note as opposed to a game enhancing experience. The reason this jarred me particularly recently is the absolutely mid 90s, attrocious, embarassing two player mode on GT4. Not only does it appear to be lacking fundamentally accessible options, you have to navigate back to Timbuktu to change them, when you do find them, there aren't any there! Horizontal, Vertical split anyone? Turning Catchup off? Number of laps, why is it not changeable before you play, not 10 weeks away? Why have the stinking two player when it just isn't very good. Options aside, its only ever just you and your buddy racing, which is, well, potentially competitive, but in reality, NOT.

It's there for marketing spiel usually. It seems every game these days must have some form of multiplayer mode, even if they don't need it.

Sometimes it really does work with games you wouldn't expect. For example, Splinter Cell wouldn't have been a title I'd have at first thought to be ideally suited to multiplayer gaming. On the flipside though, I couldn't help but sigh when I realised Nintendo felt the need to include a multiplayer mode for Echoes, even though Metroid games have traditionally been resolute single-player experiences.

You could envisage them thinking during development that since nearly every first-person action game has a multiplayer option, they needed one too. Even though Metroid is usually a highly personal adventure experience.

Comment

Rallisport Challenge 2 online or split screen will save you.

Jet Force Gemini had a 2 player on rails shooter thing. With 4 players all with their little targets of various colours, no one could figure out where their own target was. Hilarious(ly bad).

Comment

Turok Evolution.

Oh dear, that was a mess.

Comment

san andreas

sure, it was fun for about 5 minutes, but then you immediatly start thinking about the possibilities of 2 player missions, and find out it's all restricted to simple drive'n'gun-out-the-window mayhem fest. And it's an immediate letdown.

ps: what's up with the Vernon Wells avatars? Did he die or something?
          Last edited by t-dog; 04-04-2005, 10:04.

Comment

The co-operative in Psi-Ops: yeah, it's an "extra" and a throwaway one at that, but it's horribly frustrating... particularly if your mate suxX0rs.

Comment

Just wanted to add that Splinter Cell : CT in split screen co-op is an utter ****ing joy.

Just as well seeing as the live co-op drops you every two ****in' minutes.

EDIT : Better add something **** - Er, Jet Set Radio Future - about as tacked on as they come !
              Last edited by Yoshimax; 04-04-2005, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
                I couldn't help but sigh when I realised Nintendo felt the need to include a multiplayer mode for Echoes, even though Metroid games have traditionally been resolute single-player experiences.
                It's pretty blatently a reply to all the GameFAQs morons who whinged about there being no multiplayer in the first Prime. They're so used to the idea that FPS games are fundamentally multiplayer experiences with a tacked-on single-player bit, that any game that concentrates on supplying a decent single-player experience is "**** and pointless".

Comment

Originally posted by t-dog

ps: what's up with the Vernon Wells avatars? Did he die or something?

RESPECT TEH BENNETT!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

sorry,my bad !
                    dont know about the mercury look though...

Comment

Working...
                    X