No announcement yet.

Why are games so dark these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I will add to this topic is that the darker games these days are a result of the fad that the games industry as a whole is going through. Every medium, movies as an example, goes through phases, and eventually moves onto the next. I believe that's what is happening in the games industry. It's just going through a fad where games in general are darker in tone. It will soon pass, and move on to something else. I don't know if games will ever go back to the way they used to be, but hopefully dvelopers can take the good from each phase, and bring it altogether to create something even better for the next phase.

Comment

I agree with IcePak a bit on this one, though I think games will stay like this as long as the majority of gamers buy 'em. Pulishers look at the sales of Medal of Honour, so they all rush to produce war games etc.

It's the same with Hollywood, so much S**T it's unbeliveable.

All we, as gamers can do, is look for the diamonds in the rough.

Jet Set Radio Future,
      Mario Sunshine,
      Zelda,
      Jade Garden,
      Lumines,
      Prince of Persia (please do away with the crap style of the sequel!!)
      Psyconauts - not got this yet, but looking forward to it,
      Fable.

There's good stuff out there, you just have to look for it. And that includes dark stuff too.

Resi 4
      Halo 2
      Full Spectrum Warrior
      Project Gotham 2 - not dark, but realistic AND fun.

Oh, well you get the idea.

Comment

My 2c, there's always been darker games available, be it atmostherics, graphics or whatever, think Shadowrun, Contra Spirits, Another World, Nosferatu, Splatterhouse, Streets of Rage, Biometal, Devil Crash/Crush, Mortal Kombat.. all dark, grungy "depressing" looking. And shock, there are still games with a darker edge now. I say nothing's changed, it's just rose tinted specs you've got on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tychom
          My 2c, there's always been darker games available, be it atmostherics, graphics or whatever, think Shadowrun, Contra Spirits, Another World, Nosferatu, Splatterhouse, Streets of Rage, Biometal, Devil Crash/Crush, Mortal Kombat.. all dark, grungy "depressing" looking. And shock, there are still games with a darker edge now. I say nothing's changed, it's just rose tinted specs you've got on.
          But back then they, mainly due to graphics and sound they didn't feel so dark, Contra Spirits was a real uplifting game on the SNES.

I want some fun these days, some nice cartoony platformers would be a start.

Comment

Working...
          X