Bangai-O

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bangai-O

I just got this yesterday and it's utterly brilliant. It captures the essence of Robotron far better than Smash TV did.

The risk-reward dynamic in a fantastic dynamic that works in everything from racers (Burnout 2) to shmups (Psyvariar). I wish more designers would work these kind of dynamics into their games. It makes for a much richer experience.

Where Bangai-O lacks the simplicty of Robotron it makes up for it with the level design. I like the whole door/bomb mechanic punctuated with straight boss battles. The pacing is perfect.

And finally the storyline. It's so full of silly game mechanic jokes and bad grammar I'm grinning everytime I see an information satelite.

Mrs M: "You like 2d, wouldn't you?"
    Riki: "Right! We're prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!"

Bangia-o is -to coin a phrase- some "Badbwoy ****".

Ahem.

Yeah, it's a very good game. And the last boss is evil.

The music is typical Treasure. I don't know who Treasure's in-house musician is, but he has a flair for capturing the unpredictable, quirky irreverance of Treasure's games and representing it musically.

The instruction manual is a scream, too.

Comment

It's class there's no doubt about it, espically if you picked up the DC version as it's as cheap as chips.

Although just like most Treasure games it's a very niche genre. Wish more people picked them up and played. maybe with the GC version of Ikaruga out now more people will buy into it.

Comment

ive not played it in a while as i played it to death when it came outon the dreamcast, what is going on in the game over screen it messes with my head trying to work it out.

did any body play freakout the bosses were good but the fact you had to go around poping boobs some what disturbed me and the bland repetative levels just bored me i think they lost the plot with that one

Comment

I thought it was ****e - I have it on DC - how the hell are you meant to use the d-pad and analog pad at the same time?

Comment

Change the controls!

You should be using the d-pad for moving and the buttons for shooting, robotron style. Left trigger for switching characters and right for special.

Wicked game. Worth playing for the completely random story and bosses that don't actually do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by dgnr7982
              I thought it was ****e - I have it on DC - how the hell are you meant to use the d-pad and analog pad at the same time?
              Uh.. you're not.

Comment

analog stick moves you around and d-pad is the direction your firing in - correct?

the alternative being to fire straight ahead with one of the buttons (forget which) - that was damn awkward.

Comment

Nah. Make it so D-pad and Stick control the character, while the face buttons (A,B, Z, X) shoot in the direction. Ie, A shoots down etc etc.

I can't actually remember the layout of the DC pad

The best controls are basically just like robotron or smashTV, except the view is on the side. You can fly to the left while shooting to the right.

Give it another go, it's quite brilliant when you get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dgnr7982
                    analog stick moves you around and d-pad is the direction your firing in - correct?

the alternative being to fire straight ahead with one of the buttons (forget which) - that was damn awkward.
                    I used the D-pad to move, and one of the buttons to fire in the direction I was facing.[/img]

Comment

I love this game, the first time you do a maximum combo special move, it all becomes clear and you play the game in a totally different way.
                      It rules.

Comment

I use a arcade stick, works well.

Comment

What a coinsidence I started playing this again last night, I love the way you try to get as much things on screen at once then hit the super button Plus I just love the quirky madness of it

Comment

Humm... I got the DC version for ?5 after hearing good things about it... and... well I never 'got it' or something...

It was really charming, the poor translation and all... Oh and the GAME OVER screen is amazing... But, I never really was gripped by it.

Perhaps a re-visit would be necessary!

Comment

Originally posted by nips
                              Humm... I got the DC version for ?5 after hearing good things about it... and... well I never 'got it' or something...

It was really charming, the poor translation and all... Oh and the GAME OVER screen is amazing... But, I never really was gripped by it.

Perhaps a re-visit would be necessary!
                              Believe me the game gets better the further you go, dodging enemies while trying to get as much bullets on screen at once then finally unleashing a super just feels so damn good!!It's also good if you are competing for highscores with a friend

Comment

Working...
                              X