TV questions HD and picture advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://play.com/play247.asp?page=ti...321&g=409&pa=sr

I was about to try and convince my wife we need that TV when I noticed that although it says "HD READY" it doesn't list "Component input" on the list of features whereas the 32" version DOES list that as a feature.

Can anyone confirm this or tell me how I get HD out of it?
    component will only allow 480p D-Sub, DVI & HDMI will allow 720p +...looking at specs it seems to have these connections..it probably also has component on there some where I'd be surprised if it didn't. If this is for 360 D-Sub should work fine allthough HDMI & DVI connections are better not sure which of these cable 360 supports besides there wont much noticable difference...Hope that heps you & correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Morph; 29-11-2005, 18:08.

Comment

Although the ACER 19" Widescreen Monitor looks very nice, and am on the verge of ordering it, so with the VGA cable can play HD on the 360, I'm now thinking about just getting a HDTV instead, if possible. But the problem is price...

Are their any decent HDTV's around between ?300-?400 that I can connect with the 360... or am I just dreaming with that price range..?

Comment

That won't work for me since my old CRT monitor blew up the other month and I had to buy a 17" TFT monitor.

Anyone know how much I could get for my 36" tosh? Also, the REAL dilemma is I don't know how good/bad a picture I'll get from it? It has component input and can display progressive scan, so would it be a good picture or not?

(I have a Toshiba 36ZP48 by the way)

Comment

Originally posted by Morph
          component will only allow 480p D-Sub, DVI & HDMI will allow 720p +...looking at specs it seems to have these connections..it probably also has component on there some where I'd be surprised if it didn't. If this is for 360 D-Sub should work fine allthough HDMI & DVI connections are better not sure which of these cable 360 supports besides there wont much noticable difference...Hope that heps you & correct me if I'm wrong.
          Component supports 720p/1080i fine. In fact, I think it actually has higher bandwidth than HDMI.

HDMI is just being pushed as the new de-facto standard because it's digital, and supports lots of different YUV and RGB formats, as opposed to just YPbPr (Component) or just RGB (DVI). Not to mention the fact that HDMI is being used to push HDCP, Component being seen as the loophole by many execs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
            Component supports 720p/1080i fine. In fact, I think it actually has higher bandwidth than HDMI.

HDMI is just being pushed as the new de-facto standard because it's digital, and supports lots of different YUV and RGB formats, as opposed to just YPbPr (Component) or just RGB (DVI). Not to mention the fact that HDMI is being used to push HDCP, Component being seen as the loophole by many execs.

Thanks for the tumbs up I always thought the analogue connection was limited...

Comment

How do I find out if my TV can do 720p/1080i by the way? I don't think it does, I think it only does the one below...anyone know for sure?

EDIT: I'm googling and reading my TV can do 720p, I find that hard to believe although it was bloody expensive for a 36" CRT tv...
              Last edited by Jebus; 29-11-2005, 18:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Uptime
                Although the ACER 19" Widescreen Monitor looks very nice, and am on the verge of ordering it, so with the VGA cable can play HD on the 360, I'm now thinking about just getting a HDTV instead, if possible. But the problem is price...

Are their any decent HDTV's around between ?300-?400 that I can connect with the 360... or am I just dreaming with that price range..?
                unfortunately not, I think the cheapest decent one you can get is the 23" samsung (the one that is in the pods) and that is ?400-500

the LE23R51B

Comment

How do I find out if my TV can do 720p/1080i by the way? I don't think it does, I think it only does the one below...anyone know for sure?

EDIT: I'm googling and reading my TV can do 720p, I find that hard to believe although it was bloody expensive for a 36" CRT tv...
                  Best thing to do is try it get an Xbox (NTSC) & a copy of Soul Calibur 2 & try enabling 720p...

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus

I don't think you can get 720p CRTs very easily, What model is it?

Comment

CRT's that support HD resolutions are a rare thing in the UK - if your TV really does do 720p or 1080i, keep it and be proud of it, as people are dying for them.

I was under the impression that 1080i is more common on HD CRT's. I believe the 360 can upscale to this anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris
                        unfortunately not, I think the cheapest decent one you can get is the 23" samsung (the one that is in the pods) and that is ?400-500

the LE23R51B
                        Thanks for the suggestion... is this as good/different do you think:

Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

Could this, and/or, can ANY HDTV be setup with the 360 (without additional cables)? Would I still need the Xbox 360 VGA cable?

Comment

The 360 will be easy, as it doesn't require anything special like HDCP like Blu-Ray/HD-DVD will - your TV just has to meet the connection and resolution requirements.

I am told the above set has a Component, though it's not mentioned there. VGA is there though. VGA will allow more resolution options anyway, such as 1366x768 scaling, though the difference will be marginal at best.

Comment

I think I can get 520i/520p, how will that look? Will that be any good with the 360 rather than me spending ?900 on 2nd new tv this year...?

Comment

yes any HDTV has component inputs and can be connected using the cables that come with the premium pack. Although if You want a TV that you know will be futureproofed for a few years to come, you'd be best to pay another ?100 and get the 26" model, which has an HDMI socket and support for other various things.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...g=404&pa=genna

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris
                                yes any HDTV has component inputs and can be connected using the cables that come with the premium pack. Although if You want a TV that you know will be futureproofed for a few years to come, you'd be best to pay another ?100 and get the 26" model, which has an HDMI socket and support for other various things.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...g=404&pa=genna
                                I'm sorely tempted into clicking order right now to be honest.

The main thing putting me off is that I know Parcelforce will deliver it and despite being a Royal Mail employee, that worries me. If it were a CRT I wouldn't be so concerned but with an LCD I am...

Comment

Working...
                                X