No announcement yet.

360 to Samsung LCD via VGA HD KIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there no way to change it to 'AV' or 'DTV' something similar in the menu?

Would speak pretty bad for the Samsung if there wasn't, though I suppose the VGA on the Samsung was added with PC's in mind.
    Last edited by sj33; 03-12-2005, 14:19.

Comment

Definitely. It doesn't look washed out. Half-Life 2 was glorious when I tried it, as was Riddick and Far Cry. Real jaw dropping moments.

I just hope component isn't as bad as RGB, and the internal scaling can stand up to rendering games decently in 480p.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
        Definitely. It doesn't look washed out. Half-Life 2 was glorious when I tried it, as was Riddick and Far Cry. Real jaw dropping moments.

I just hope component isn't as bad as RGB, and the internal scaling can stand up to rendering games decently in 480p.

Mate, trust me here it looks alot less vibrant via VGA. The games look more textured (stared at a brick on a wall in COD2 for a minute admiring the detail) but the color is all gone.

Comment

I can only vouch for VGA. The cables hadn't arrived (the Xbox one still hasn't) for me to try component. RGB was unspeakably bad - particularly the PS2 that appeared worse than the most painful RF signal I've ever encountered. I presumed that might be electrical interference.

However, I was highly impressed with the colour/screen definition of the PC games I tried, in particular to the TFT and CRT we use at home.

Comment

Must be a problem with the 360 then. There's no need for multiple VGA modes on the Samsung. Feeding in any VGA source has always produced an exceptionally vibrant picture.

Just checking, but you do know that each input can be on different brightness/contrast/colour/etc settings? Make sure you're using a correctly tweaked profile or at least the same one as component when you're on the PC/VGA channel.

Comment

wush, what's component like on the current generation of consoles? While I'm waiting for a replacement I am worried that pictures are going to be pixelated when the Samsung scales down to 640x480.

Comment

I think it's all good as long as the signal is progressive (minimum 480p) - you can tell it is low resolution but the image is nice, stable and clean in motion. Good news for a prog-scan enabled Xbox. I'm not too sure about the GC/PS2 situation. Interlaced stuff is always going to look bad in comparison, no matter how it is fed in. You can't add detail that isn't there.
                Last edited by SubparMario; 03-12-2005, 15:22.

Comment

So the VGA output on the 360 looks bad?

Perhaps the machine is working internally in Digital Component (Y/Cb/Cr) and then converting to Analogue Y/Pb/Pr like the GameCube did? And to get VGA, the 360 has to do a Y/Cb/Cr to RGB conversion?

Does RGB SCART look similarly washed out?

Comment

I still reckon it's to do with what I said earlier tbh.
                    I'm no expert on this, but my set sorta has 2 completely different setups for PC and AV gear depending on what I set the TV to. Example, I set my DVI-I to 'PC' when using my DVD Player, and it looks washed. I set to 'DTV', looks fine.

How is VGA for other people with other screens?
                    Last edited by sj33; 03-12-2005, 15:25.

Comment

Sadly there's no option like you described on that Samsung LCD - I used to have one and the VGA quality was excellent.

In fact, the LE32R41B barely lets you change any of the picture settings at all in VGA mode - it's mostly fixed.

Comment

That's a shame. Clearly Samsung only considered PC use when it came to VGA (can't blame them there I guess).

VGA on the LG bizzarely had more options than both DVI-D and HDMI.

Comment

Originally posted by wush
                          Must be a problem with the 360 then. There's no need for multiple VGA modes on the Samsung. Feeding in any VGA source has always produced an exceptionally vibrant picture.

Just checking, but you do know that each input can be on different brightness/contrast/colour/etc settings? Make sure you're using a correctly tweaked profile or at least the same one as component when you're on the PC/VGA channel.
                          Yeah im gonna have a play about later tonight when i get back home from a family night out. I will no doubt be pissed up and end up ruining my existing setting but cest la vie.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                            I still reckon it's to do with what I said earlier tbh.
                            I'm no expert on this, but my set sorta has 2 completely different setups for PC and AV gear depending on what I set the TV to. Example, I set my DVI-I to 'PC' when using my DVD Player, and it looks washed. I set to 'DTV', looks fine.

How is VGA for other people with other screens?
                            pc dvi uses a differrent method of sending colour than AV devices. pc monitors generally arented designed to do both, tvs normally can though as they provide the option (mine too has pc/av digital/analogue)

i think vga looks great, i havent tried component though. guess ill try tomorrow

Comment

i bought a vga cable with my machine, thought it looked amazing connected to my sanyo z3 projector, then i started reading forums........tried component and the colour is so much better

it is only the colour though, image wise vga is amazing (though not really any better than component) messing with gamma settings on the projector and r,g,b values can get the colour pretty close to component but to be honest i cant be arsed, that together with vga being incompatible with xbox 1 dashboard live updates has persuaded me to ditch vga, at least for now

Comment

I find the VGA to be much brighter on My Samsung. With component the night club level on PDZ is so dark... To say the least. I actually can't say which is better though it seems as if the difference is pretty negligible.

Actually no I tested it Again and I have no tearing issues on PDZ with VGA but quite noticeable on component. It is really colourful in Com but it looks less natural, i think it actually comes down to preference and TV settings. Importantly the dynamic setting is CRAP on both and custom shows up the differences even more significantly. All in I think I prefer VGA.
                                Last edited by ItsThere; 03-12-2005, 23:31.

Comment

Working...
                                X