Your WTF Moments of 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dreamylittledream

1. I see by f**k up what you actually mean astonishingly successful with more units available here in the UK than the PS2 launch and also a week behind the American launch as opposed to 6 months +
    No, you've took that out of context. By saying it's a f*ck up i mean't the consoles available to the general public, not consoles sold. You see!!

Plus the fact that the console isn't released yet in Australia and New Zealand, two of Microsoft's best territories for Xbox sales. Hardly a worldwide launch!
    Last edited by the_dude; 09-01-2006, 11:38.

Comment

I just checked the Neighbours website, it looks like it is true

Comment

I really don't understand the bashing of the 360 launch. Numbers are alwas limited on release of just about any high tech gadget in demand and certainly every console launch. What was the altenative? Have it launch in the US first then wait 6 months or more for it to arrive here? No thanks. Then I wouldn't have one and I'd still have to listen to people complaining about the launch (I can hear it now: treating Europe like second class citizens etc. etc.). Ok so there was a bit of allocation confusion but I do wander how much of that was down to the retailers. I was never left in any state of confusion by Gameplay.... they waited until a month before release to tell me they'd have one for me and then stuck by that and delivered it as promised (which seems to be the case for most of there customers).

How does that saying go? You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time. Needs amending with a new line: and grumpy bastard gamers none of the time.

Comment

I've had 10 360's so they are available. Too much whining over this point, the 360 launch appears to have gone pretty well from what I have experience of.

Demand is higher than supply, and that's a bad thing??????

Comment

WTF Moment for me in 2005

Playing Perfect Dark Zero, trying to justify paying 60 quid for it thinking it's good then realising after i completed it that it's the biggest loads of **** i've ever seen.

WTF?!?! Indeed.

Comment

My biggest "WTF" moment of 2005 was Resident Evil 4. Well, getting a copy of it from Game.

Usually I just order games from Play or Amazon and they show up on my door on the day of release. A relatively simple process. I decided to try and get it from my local Game when they were running the 4-games-and-99p. Trouble is, they didn't actually have any stock on the day it was released. Or the day after. Or for three pissing weeks. Then the promotion ended and they wanted ?37.99 out of me for it, even after I was personally assured that no matter when they got stock they would honour their promotion price! Back to Amazon, but with three weeks wasted

Man, that still hits a nerve with me now. Tossers.

Comment

Originally posted by squidman
                My biggest "WTF" moment of 2005 was Resident Evil 4. Well, getting a copy of it from Game.

Usually I just order games from Play or Amazon and they show up on my door on the day of release. A relatively simple process. I decided to try and get it from my local Game when they were running the 4-games-and-99p. Trouble is, they didn't actually have any stock on the day it was released. Or the day after. Or for three pissing weeks. Then the promotion ended and they wanted ?37.99 out of me for it, even after I was personally assured that no matter when they got stock they would honour their promotion price! Back to Amazon, but with three weeks wasted

Man, that still hits a nerve with me now. Tossers.
                You should've already completed it having ordered the US version months beforehand. Cheapo n00b

Comment

WTF moment of 2005.... paying ?20 for a brand new electric guitar that should have cost ?1,199.

Not videogame related at all, but certainly a WTF moment.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows
                    WTF moment of 2005.... paying ?20 for a brand new electric guitar that should have cost ?1,199.
                    ...how on Earth did that happen?

You should've already completed it having ordered the US version months beforehand. Cheapo n00b
                    Thanks for rubbing salt into the wound

Comment

Originally posted by squidman
                      ...how on Earth did that happen?

Thanks for rubbing salt into the wound
                      Sorry Squidman - couldn't resist it's NSTC-UK after all

Comment

Real thing for me was the complete lack of RE4 adverts on TV for the GameCube launch. I mean, this was a real opportunity to sell some consoles, what with the Limited Edition RE4 GameCube. Many people I know were unaware the game had even come out.

Missed opportunity really. I know it's not Nintendo's game to sell, but the lack of public awareness was stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by the_dude
                          No, you've took that out of context. By saying it's a f*ck up i mean't the consoles available to the general public, not consoles sold. You see!!

Plus the fact that the console isn't released yet in Australia and New Zealand, two of Microsoft's best territories for Xbox sales. Hardly a worldwide launch!
                          Nope I haven't. The launch was a huge success and there were more units available than Sony released the PS2 with. Quite simply the demand was higher than previous console launches.

It also wasn't that hard to pre-order a machine with a little effort (I ordered from Argos 3 weeks before release and got mine on the 2nd, Woolworths were also much the same) or pick up a machine now if you look around. A lot of the problems were caused by too many people going with the on line retailers (big shops were always going to get more stock).

Ish said it far better below then I am going to manage - demand outstripped supply but would you rather the launch was six- twelve months later and still sell out on launch day (a la PSP for example)?

Also the hardware launched within a month in the three main gaming territories. Thats pretty impressive if you ask me.

Comment

A pleasant wtf moment and perhaps 2005's crowner for me....

360 Launch day - 2 stores right next to each other. 1 (toys r us) launch day bundle Core pack, King Kong, assorted DVDs ?370 (HDD extra ?60)

Store 2. Asda - Premium bundle - Premium pack, Kameo, PDZ:LE, Play and charge kit ?279 (and to think I was almost desperate enough to go with the TRU bundle, the store had opened 2 hours prior to asda and it was VERY cold at 5am - the extra wait was very much worth it however)

Obviously the latter MUST have been a pricing boo-boo, just glad I paid for it with cash and not credit

Comment

Everyone at work disbelieving me when I told them that the 360 pod was actually HD.

The guy who came to fit it tells me its not.

Then the Microsoft rep tells me it isn't.

How can the whole world be entirely ignorant?

REALLY

WTF is up with that!

Comment

The samsung TVs that come with those demo pods ARE **** in HD though.

Comment

Working...
                                X