Speculative game investments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speculative game investments

Which games from this generation do you people think will continue to go up in value over the years? I'd assume that the Nippon Ichi titles on PS2 should retain their value as would some of the obvious stuff like Ikaruga and Skies of Arcadia (PAL) on GC. Any other suggestions? Anyone starting to horde some of those titles they find cheap in bargain bins?

I would add Phantasy Star 3 C.A.R.D. Revolution for GC as my darkhorse pick. It was all but ignored upon release and is quite cheap at the moment - give it a few years though and I think people will be hunting it down... Of course I could be totally off.

Anyway, please add your thoughts, predictions, etc...

The original PSO on the Cube is one with the value. The Nippons won't ever be that more valuable (since they're between ?15 and ?25 now), maybe they'll hold well, but the print runs weren't tiny.

Comment

Plus they got reprinted didn't they? There was a thread on it recently.

Comment

The PS2 ports of the Cave shmups. While they may not end up being worth loads, they should at least hold their value. DOJ is even going for a bit more than it did on release at the moment.

Under Defeat for DC has got to be a decentish investment too. If it turns out to be the last DC game, which it probably will (at least last official release), then it will definitely hold its value. Look at Final Fight Revenge- last Saturn release, goes for a fortune these days. Even if it is crap.

Comment

Won't the PSO games on the Cube suffer the same fate as the DC ones, and effectively become coasters when Sega turn the servers off?

Comment

This thread has reminded me of an idea from a few months ago ... about doing a gaming version of Celeb-daq here (you get ?500 to invest on games and six months later see if your investment has gone up in value blah blah) but getting agreement on prices every six months and the admin involved would probably be a nightmare, shame as it could be a laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by mid
              Won't the PSO games on the Cube suffer the same fate as the DC ones, and effectively become coasters when Sega turn the servers off?
              DC PSO servers are still up. It's one of about 3 games left online now as the F355 servers were shut down last month.

Comment

Plus you can play the cube versions offline.

Obviously you lose the lobby/event quests/ & certain rare items but its still playable.

Comment

Well i ordered radiligy and preordered under defeat.

The last game i missed was border down for the DC now its on ebay for franklly ridiculous sums of money (though i did here the normal edition can be got for a more reasonable amount)

Radiligy i am not sure what with ps2 and cube versions planned but considering its still one of the last dreamcast games i still reckon the price will go up a bit

Comment

Gregory Horror Show?

It's a fantastic, quirky little title that was universally ignored so I assume never reprinted. GAME were selling sealed copies for ?5 for Pete's-sake!

Give it a few years, when people begin to hunt for oddities and unusual titles to show off to their mates, and I think it could become worth a few bob.

Worth more than the fiver I paid for my copy, at any rate

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
                      Well i ordered radiligy and preordered under defeat.

The last game i missed was border down for the DC now its on ebay for franklly ridiculous sums of money (though i did here the normal edition can be got for a more reasonable amount)
                      I think Play-Asia still have the standard Border Down in stock for a decent price. Heh I was lucky enough to get a Brand new Sealed Border Down Limited Edition for ?45 just after it first came out. The seller reduced the price because the shrink wrap had come off on one corner lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by Smegaman
                        I think Play-Asia still have the standard Border Down in stock for a decent price. Heh I was lucky enough to get a Brand new Sealed Border Down Limited Edition for ?45 just after it first came out. The seller reduced the price because the shrink wrap had come off on one corner lmao!
                        He sounds like a nice guy. Don't hate on him

Comment

he's great I've had loads of Japanese DC stuff off him from ebay, I jus found it hillarious when it arrived and there was jus a tiny chunk of shrink wrap hanging off at the bottom corner because the auction constantly stated that it was "damaged". I thought he meant a broken case or something.

Comment

Who is he if you dont mind me asking as i'm keen on increasing my number of sources for dc jap games since the chase is getting really challenging.

Comment

Originally posted by IanE
                              The Nippons won't ever be that more valuable (since they're between ?15 and ?25 now), maybe they'll hold well, but the print runs weren't tiny.
                              I think your wrong. I mean, look at Disgaea, both the PAL and NTSC releases have gone up in price considerably recently and that's only bound to continue as gamers look to auction sites to get their fix. How long has it been since you saw a new copy of Disgaea selling in a high street shop? For me, well over a year but that could well say more about where I live than the games rarity...

As for suggestions, I think the North American release of Shadow Hearts: Covenant may well go the way of Valkyrie Profile a generation ago. Recently I was hunting down a copy and discovered that the average price of a new and sealed copy had risen by at least five dollars since last I checked - sure, not a significant increase, but an important one nonetheless.

The PS2 MegaTen games are also bound to go up in price in both PAL and NTSC land.

Comment

Working...
                              X