Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ubisoft games are handist (options not included)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ubisoft games are handist (options not included)

having read the recent multiplayer preview of GRAW and finding this quote, i'm annoyed to the point of screaming:

Notice the lack of Southpaw controls too. This is a sticking point with some gamers, as it is surprising that the lefty set made it into the Xbox version of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and not the 'next-gen' version (two separate development houses though- keep tat in mind).
    so yet another game i won't actually be able to play due to developers not spending an hour putting in the code to let me change controls. i'm sure i'm not alone in using 'backward' controls, i know i'm in a minority but when did the games world change?

it strikes me as very odd that people have managed to become backwards when it comes to games...

goldeneye - standard controls are aiming left hand, movement right hand.
    turok - again, aiming left hand, movement right.

practically any driving game ever - left stick steer (aim?), buttons whatever else.

mario 64 (or practically any other non fps game out there) - left stick controls, buttons do other stuff.

of these games i've listed, is there ANYONE out there who swapped the controls to 'lefty' ? i'm left handed and i certainly didn't, i used the defaults as they were perfect for me. i'm just trying to figure out when default controls became 'wrong'...

**edit: the reason i pointed out ubisoft is that previous games of theirs, farcry and splinter cell both have zero options to customize.

i'm sorry if this rambles and isn't coherent but i'm really annoyed that a simple option isn't included in the game.
    Last edited by Crisp_Rapper; 02-03-2006, 10:55.

From the clubskill hands on I posted yesterday for the 360 version :

A few of the controls have been slightly tinkered with, but Ghost veterans will still get used to the new settings no less than instantly. To crouch you just have to single click the left thumbstick, and press it in if you want to crawl. To reload, all it takes is a single press of A, and to switch weapons, B, but beware as this does take a few seconds so make sure you're well hidden when juggling weapons. There are two different zoom modes, and if the gun has a scope you can zoom in using the right thumbstick. Failing that you can use your weapon's sight to get a better aim, as sometimes choosing either scope or sight will just come down to how far away the enemy is.

You can also peep around corners using the LB button. With the Lone Wolves, the LB button is the one which switches it into hands-off mode. The D-Pad is great for single player modes as you can send out orders to your team, but in multiplayer it doesn?t have such a huge effect mainly because no one really listens to the orders. If you have a set team leader I?m sure it will be very useful but if you join a party of people who?ve never played with the D-Pad, it will mean nothing. Of course, literally every control can be changed to your liking, so if you just don?t feel right with the default controls you can have a play with them until you feel comfortable.
    Seemed to imply that for MP atleast all controls were configerable ! Not read alot of MP previews though so maybe this is wrong

Comment

This think the reason all the first person shooters have the "backwards" control scheme is because they copy the same controls as using a keyboard WASD and mouse combo.

Comment

i know boris but why was goldeneye backwards as stndard? just to fit the buttons on the pad? this mean nintendo got their pad wrong? (was designed for mario 64 after all)

Comment

buuuut, on the n64 you could actually flip around the controller hold the stick in your left hand and use the dpad for movement. I do think that the controls for goldeneye worked well on that game, but most of that game was played on the X axis and didn't require you do look up and down very much, if you'd of tried playing against PC players on quake 2 using an n64 controller, you'd of been pummeled due to the restriction of aiming up and down easily using the default controls.

You say that no games use the right stick to look with, but almost every game that isn't an FPS has its camera control on the right stick.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris
            You say that no games use the right stick to look with, but almost every game that isn't an FPS has its camera control on the right stick.
            good point.... +1 boris.

it just confuses me greatly that console fps (n64 at least) started off left handed, obviously due to the button placement. ****ing n64, making me backwards.

i'd try and play opposite to how i do now but do you know how hard it is to unlearn something like that? controlling games is second nature now, it's hardwired. i tried playing backwards for a WEEK, a good couple of hours a night when farcry came out... it's ok until i'm getting shot at, but then instinct kicks in and i'm playing the way i usually do (but this time with my controls reversed) thusly i get killed/frustrated/etc.

but why no option? do they hate lefties or what? surely it wouldn't take that long? with no option to change you're either forcing people to change or they're just not buying... and in the games industry you want people to buy right?? it just seems like madness.

Comment

I can swap over. It took a long while of deliberately trying, but I've got it down to a couple of minutes now. Yay me. I still can't swap to non-inverted look though...

Comment

i may book an appointment with paul mckenna to 'fix' my brain.

Comment

Well, Bitch loads to Ubisoft and force them to patch it! It will probably happen anyway.

You could try holding the pad upsidedown

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                    I can swap over. It took a long while of deliberately trying, but I've got it down to a couple of minutes now. Yay me. I still can't swap to non-inverted look though...
                    but can you play the games to the same level backwards? sure i can play the games but i'm nowhere near as good, even after a week... i really don't want to re-learn which is why i'm whinging that developers are lazy. i'm left handed ffs, have you seen the way i play halo? i use the 'crab claw' style when i need to move and jump at the same time.

Comment

Comment

i shall fight for the rights of my wronghanded bretheren!!

(was that supposed to be the joke nige?)

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp_Rapper
                          i know boris but why was goldeneye backwards as stndard? just to fit the buttons on the pad? this mean nintendo got their pad wrong? (was designed for mario 64 after all)
                          The left handed position of the D-Pad or analogue stick has always baffled me as its usually the area that requires the greater control.

Imo Goldeneye was backwards, but it had to be that way because of the button placement. Rare recognised this by including the dual controller method which (when you got used to is) was the best method to use for Goldeneye.

It makes much more sense for the look function to fall under the right thumb (for right handed players) than the movement.

Comment

goldeneye - standard controls are aiming left hand, movement right hand.
                            turok - again, aiming left hand, movement right.
                            Quake on the PS1, also used the Goldeneye set up.

It was the first console FPS game I've played, and (i think) the first to use twin sticks... naturally it was my set up of choice for ages.

I only stopped using it when i found so many games no longer supported it.

Comment

goldeneye - standard controls are aiming left hand, movement right hand
                              Not that i doubt you old noble one, but are you sure that's right? I seem to remember using the analogue stick with my left thumb and then use the yellow C face buttons to strafe/look up and down

Comment

Working...
                              X