Backwards Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darwock
    That's more about the 360s compatibility being broken though isn't it... if they'd done it properly I guarantee you'd use it. Look at all the people pissed because Outrun 2006 isn't getting a 360 release.
    No it's not, if 360 compatibility was perfect I would probably still be playing games on my normal Xbox, apart from anything else my savegames are on the Xbox and it's a lot easier for me to carry on playing tha games on the Xbox rather than muck about trying to cart saves over. I have the room for the Xbox to be setup and it's just convenient that way, plus my 360 is almost always on the move - fired up some CMR2005 today as my 360 is still packed up from the weekend.

I haven't played a single PSone game on my PS2.

John

Comment

Mega important, especially given the range of some systems libraries. More so from the emulation perspective. It's never quite perfect and if backwards compatibility is done properly (even games that do work on the 360 are shocking) via the hardware versus some crap collection of freeware and drivers to support a system, it's a must have!

I can put my old consoles on display then \o/

Comment

I finally got around to completing Xenogears last week, only took me six years

Next up, for when the next gaming lull happens, is Vagrant Story (again), and then Final Fantasy Tactics.

I see backwards compatibilty as a nice bonus when it's done right ie. playstation as compared to the complete shambles with the xbox.

Comment

The 360 backwards compatibilty has been handled awfully. I hope there's a hardware revision at some point, or some MAJOR downloads to sort the problem out.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
            (even games that do work on the 360 are shocking)
            I played Pro Evo 5 and Halo2 on mine and both were excellent - Graphically sharper and the only downside was the quality of the speech via the headset - I suspect this is down to xbox1's methods of doing speech.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie2k
              The 360 backwards compatibilty has been handled awfully. I hope there's a hardware revision at some point, or some MAJOR downloads to sort the problem out.
              Not really going to happen, powerpc and x86 are completely incompatible without emulation so that's a no go. Alternatively they could put xbox compatible hardware directly inside the 360 but this isn't going to happen either - to be cost effective this would have to basically be a one chip solution and Intel/Nvidia would not work together to produce such a chip and even if they did, MS would still have to buy it in. If you see inside the Xbox260 you'll see every chip is actually branded Microsoft so they don't have that sort of problem again.

As for emulators, I guess there's no real incentive for companies to develop them - I'm curious, would people be interested in paying for emulators? Say you could buy a rollup package from Codemasters which for a tenner would let you play and of their games on the 360?

John

Comment

Making them compatible is more hardware abstraction rather than emulation but I feel as though Microsoft didn't plan ahead. It didn't stop Sony from down-manufacturing a PSOne and shoving it in the PS2, for example. A benefit of producing your own hardware, I guess.

I've bought emulators before and I'm sure many others already have (and know it too), indirectly. There's already a market being exploited.

Comment

Working...
                X