Your all-time favourite gaming tunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your all-time favourite gaming tunes

It's probably been done before, but the idea in this thread is to pick your favourite five (doesn't have to be ordered) and why you like them. Can be from any game, genre or time period.

I'll start off.

Shenmue Theme (Shenmue)
    Room of Angel (SH4)
    High Charity (Halo 2)
    Epilogue -Those Who Remain (Shadow of the Colossus)
    One Winged Angel - Orchestrated version (Final Fantasy VII)

Yours? Any recommendations?

Edit: I thought I placed this in General Gaming. A move would be much appreciated please, mods.
    Last edited by Concept; 05-05-2006, 12:27.

Probably a lot of the music from Silent Hill series, cant think of anything specific offhand though.

Comment

Aeris's Theme FF7

Comment

1. The save game music in ICO. This is the number one best tune i've heard in a videogame

2. Secret of Mana- Thanatos final battle (second last boss before the Mana dragon)

3. Super Mario Bros main theme. will never get tired of it. I love the underground du-du-du-du-dudu. music too.

Loads more but can think right now.

Comment

Rez - Fear is the mind killer

Comment

Secret of Monkey Island - Pretty much all of it

Comment

Mmm well I'm going to be Mr unoriginal, but rather than quoting everyone I'm just going to say:

Silent Hil (particularly 3, the intro, which was also in the film)
              The heavy Halo theme from Halo1
              The ending to Shadow of the Colossus
              The Mario music from Mario Sunshine
              Rez - Fear

uhh...

Xenon 2: Megablast (bomb the bass)
              Turrican 2

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
                Aeris's Theme FF7
                Hard to pick a winner from this game but I'd have to go with "Flowers blooming in the church" over the Aeris theme. I can't think of anything I'd ever heard that was quite like it at the time.

Another tune that will always stick with me is Seung Mina's theme from Soul Blade (the arcade not the khan version). It just totally conjures up images of running around in a temple waving swords about.

Going back in time the Spectrum 128K music to the Robocop game (also used in the Ariston commercials way back when) stays on my MP3 player and never gets boring.

Also the opening music from Heimdall on the Atari ST (very different from any other version I've heard)

Comment

The music in agony for the amiga

Xenon 2 megablast

chuck rock opening tune

cannon fodder opening tune

sensible world of soccer opening tune

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                    The heavy Halo theme from Halo1
                    I'm listening to Halo 2 Vol.2's soundtrack now and it's absolutely immense. Drops the outsourced rock in Vol. 1 and keeps it all in-house. The original's score was hardly a slouch, and although Halo 2 might not be the most popular game out there among first-person nuts, I don't think any game in the genre gets near it's soundtrack. Nearly all of it is classic territory.

High Charity Suite?

Comment

The opening theme from Kingdom Hearts 2.
                      Rotterdam Nation from one of the early Ridge Racers.
                      The music from Zone of the Enders.
                      One Winged Angel, I like the Advent Children version actually.
                      A lot of the music in Xenogears is quite good, especially the one that plays when Graf is around.

Comment

Ridge Racer V - Jap PS2 It suits it so well with its techno beats and pulsating rhythm.

Shenmue 1 & 2 - Yuzo Koshiro really did a number here i can tell yah!

Bare knuckle/streets of rage 1 & 2 - Yuzo Koshiro once more, made the 16 bit sound chips come to life in a contemporary blend of beats and sythesized melodies.

Biohazrad Jap Saturn - So atmospheric at the time and helped boost the immesive nature of the game and dwarf you into the claustaphobic walls of the scenary.

Last ninja 1 & 2 & 3 - all soundtracks made you take note that the c64 was actually capable of making decent tunes. The monopitched nature of the chip sound actually benefited the oriental flavour of the tracks.

Other tracks worthy of noting are -

Castlevania Syphony of the night (wow............ so captivating)
                        Chrono Trigger (not bad for cartridge chips and so fitting for sucha cute RPG)
                        Ouenden (only cos it fitted all that audio on such a small carridge, amazing!)

Last edited by 112; 05-05-2006, 14:24.

Comment

The opening from stage 1 of Ikaruga - specifically as the ship bursts into action.

The Legendary Hero rendition of the Zelda theme at the opening of Wind Waker, as the story unfolds via stained-glass window - truly magical.

Tallon Overworld from Metroid Prime - slow build to a synthesised crescendo; wonderfully evocative & fitting.

Delfino Plaza theme from Super Mario Sunshine - I have this as a ringtone; never fails to put a smile on my chops.

Super Ghouls & Ghosts first level music - sounds like a demented fairground attraction; absolutely brilliant.

A special mention goes to the entire Killer 7 OST - not a weak track on there.

Comment

Here we go...

Kingdom Hearts 2 [Opening Theme]
                            Streets of Rage 2 [All - especially the Shiva boss-battle]
                            Killer 7 [All]
                            Devil May Cry 3 [All]

Comment

The attract music from Billy Hatcher - when this was released, there was an offer for a free ringtone download when you bought the game. I believe I scared a young boy quite ****less (not for the first time) when his mobile went off on the bus and I started chanting "la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la" in his face quite enthusiastically.

Comment

Working...
                              X