No announcement yet.

Classic Game Series: Streets Of Rage - Your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sound effects, especially on number 2, are nigh-on perfect for a beat 'em up. It just has these perfect, crisp 'cracky' effects that really add to the feeling of impact (a lot of MD beat 'em ups around the time had ****e, limp sound fx that completely ruined the gameplay.) It's amazing when you put SOR 1 and SOR 2 side by side and see the difference 18 months made (though I love SOR1, too.)

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
      And i think due to licensing many of these games will probably never get onto a retro compilations either
      I think Capcom are sticking 'Knights of the Round' on their next PSP retro collection.

Comment

I bought Bare Knuckle 3 from my local importer long before it was released as SOR3 in the west. My one lasting impression of the japanese version was the weird kinkiness which Sega really watered down when converting for the west.

Beating up appalling gay stereotype Ash and the noises he made is my most abiding memory. It was kinda disturbing but funny too.

Sega totally removed him from SOR3. Scroll to the bottom to see him...

The whip weilding and punk female characters were also covered up by Sega for SOR3.

Comment

SOR 1 and 2 are two of my favourite ever games, and the scrolling beat-em up is probably my favourite genre. TBH I slightly prefer the first nowadays for the grittiness highlighted in the feature, though back in the day the sequel was king. Only played SOR3 a couple of times so can't really compare it.

Comment

Check out the Mean Machines review of SOR1 - Once we get Mean machines Sega reviews scanned we'll get SOR2 and SOR3 online too!

Streets of Rage review

Comment

Originally posted by Bib
              I bought Bare Knuckle 3 from my local importer long before it was released as SOR3 in the west. My one lasting impression of the japanese version was the weird kinkiness which Sega really watered down when converting for the west.

Beating up appalling gay stereotype Ash and the noises he made is my most abiding memory. It was kinda disturbing but funny too.
              I did just the same and that part cracks me up, the way him moves and acts to a punch/kick can't help bring a smile to one ones face.

In many area's its better than part II, not least the combat (love the side step move) you're even given a nice pullout innstruction poster with all the moves on
              But I think one can't over look the impact the music on part II. It added so much to the game and with out it, I doubt people would have loved it so much (kind of like REZ) plus Part II did have less grainy graphics (which PT III had) , So I think a lot of people were expecting even better graphics and music in Pt III and that?s playing a part why people don?t like it much

Comment

not meaning to be a dick or anything but there's a line in the SoR1 section that's wrong... it says you hit 'c' for your cop mates to drive up and launch a rocket. it's actually the 'a' button, c is jump. i was playing it this very evening.

minor detail, nice article... love the games, 3 was a bit pants though.

Comment

Can someone tell me subjectively what was wrong about 3 ? I enjoyed it - maybe not as MUCH as 1 or 2 as it was less of a progression and more like a remix of 2 (those were the days of the classic Sega sequel )

But it still had probably the best fighting engine of the lot and some of the best enemies - I understand the rose tinted love for SOR1 (that intro music - sublime) but seriously it doesn't hold a candle to 3.

Comment

Working...
                  X