Mario 64
    Mario Sunshine
    Mario World
    Mario 3
    Wonderboy 3: The dragons trap
    Mario 2
    Mario

Comment

Mario 64 for me. That move to 3d was truly genre making.

Comment

mario 64 defintly the best.

A popular choice but it has to be said.

mario 3 - NES close seccond, remembering the amount of time eaten by that game it truly amazing.

Comment

Kempeh! You really like Mario sunshine over Mario World?

It's all good if you do like, it's just a break from popular opinion and all that.

For me though, the honour has to go to:

Super Mario World on the SNES.

As far as I'm concerned, it is the single greatest example of videogames to date. There is nothing yet that could topple it, and I very much doubt that it could ever be. The whole game is just so pure. It's fun for all ages (my mum has clocked it many times. ), it's very mature in its approach to violence, it's the perfect example of "easy to pick up, but difficult to master" gameplay, and it has the single best feature of any videogame to date - The fact that just about every enemy, background and tune in the game changes once you complete the star road special stages.

Unbeatable.

Comment

mario world class game such imagination and fun + it apeals to all ages from todler to me grandad
            However m64 was also great not beacuse it was genre braeaking ect ect ect. Because it was a great game and had the snow level with the penguin slide :P/

Comment

Super Mario Brothers 3 for me. The frog suit is a gaming classic.

Comment

All (well, most) of the Mario games are special in their own way. For me, Mario 3 was an amazing experience, helped by the fact that I played it as a youngster. But the levels and all the suits (especially frog) were fantastic. I only fully appreciated Mario World when I replayed it on the GBA, but I still think it's less enjoyable than SMB3. Mario 64 was a revelation, and I would have to say that it is the best as far as I'm concerned.

But I'd love to see a new GBA title in the style of SMB3 - I guess I'll have to make do with the inevitable port later this year/early next.

I would say:

1. SM64
                2. SMB3
                3. SM World
                4. Super Mario Land 2
                5. Super Mario Bros.

I decided not to include Yoshi's Island, otherwise it would have easily challenged for silver position.

Comment

Deffo Super Mario World. Best 2-d platformer ever.

Comment

Oooh a toughie to answer this.

But in all honestly, it'd have to be Super Mario World.

It's level design is so damn perfect.

Comment

Assuming we are talking pure Mario platform games (otherwise Paper Mario and Yoshi's Island would be high on the list) I would have to say Super Mario 64. Being a Sega fan when I was younger I never played a Mario game properly until then I replayed it about twice a year during the N64's lifespan as my main console. It had so many memorable moments from Wet Dry World, Sunken Galleon Level and despite being very easy, the awe inspiring Bowser battles.

It is yet to be beaten even by the oft maligned SMS and still to me remains the pinnacle of 3D platform gaming.

Comment

Hmm, mine would be...

1. Mario 64

2. Yoshi's Island

3. Mario World

Comment

Super Mario 64.

My second favourite game ever after Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Comment

Yoshi's Island was the best 2D platformer for me, the sheer amount of variety and constant surprises was enought to keep mw hooked. Plus the score attack mode on each level was fantastic .

I'm going to break with convention and say that Mario Sunshine is my favourite 3D platformer, even over Mario 64. I prefer the return to precision platform jumping over exploration. I also found the blue coin collecting to be enjoyable rather than a chore, it made me appreciate the variety in the levels in a different way. Getting the final 15 shines to get all 120 was a xen like experience, tough but totally focused. I loved it .

Comment

It has to be Mario 64. Simply one of the finest video games ever created -and it's still so fresh today.

Mario World would come second, it was as good as 2D Mario could ever get.

Comment

poor old mario allstars hehe i loved that.

Comment

Working...
                                X