No announcement yet.

Best Mario ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mario 64 was totally ore inspiring in every way, from the first moment the game started right to the end (well 105 stars or something) I was totally hooked. I'll never forget the first time I went swimming in M64 truly one of my greatest gaming memories.

But for me Super Mario World still just eclipses M64. This was the first Mario game I really played (Not owning a NES ) and it made me an instant lifetime Nintendo fan. The games layout, level design, pacing and difficulty curve were all perfect, making the game sublime from beginning to end.

Both of the above seem to be permanent members in my top 3 all time games.

Comment

For me, it's too close to call between SMB3, SMW & Mario 64. Another great one that nobody's mentioned yet is the original Wario Land (does this count as a Mario game? It was subtitled Super Mario Land 3).

In the non-platformers category I'd say Mario Kart (any version), Paper Mario, and my personal favourite, Mario Golf (GBC version). I've wasted, er I mean enjoyed so many hours on that fantastic game...

My oldest daughter (aged nearly 4) is a huge fan of SMS and Yoshi's Story. I've not tried her on any of the others yet - don't want to spoil her do we?

Comment

Anybody want to buy Yoshi's Island? PM me.

Comment

What is the best selling game in Japan of all time?

Super Mario Brothers on the Famicom, nothing comes close to matching the sales (with the exception of Pokemon...).

Still the best Mario game of all time.

Comment

Super Mario World

The greatest game ever.

Comment

Due to personal sigificance, probably Mario 3, with Mario World right behing it. I hate SM64 with a passion, but I'm an idiot.

Comment

Dudes, how come no-one has mentioned the fantastic Mario RPG?? I loved the isometric platforming etc, a great departure from the series.

Comment

Super Mario World!

Mario 64 was amazing back then, but it hasn't aged as well as Mario World and is a tad over-rated... after the novelty of the amazing graphics wore off I realised it was more of an adventure/puzzle game than a proper platformer, which disappointed me somewhat.

Comment

Super Mario World. Pure gaming from start to finish. The only game I've gone back to and completed on various occasions.

I it

Comment

oooh hard one, super mario world and Mario 64 for me. Both very gripping games, but can we forget the essential Super Mario one and two on gameboy, how many times have they saved me through long journeys

Comment

Wario Land was technically the 3rd Super Mario Land, and a very accomplished game I thought. Finding all the treasure added so much longevity.

Comment

This is my fave a Mario pinball machine. Only joking

In all honesty my fave is SuperMarioBros2. It was my second mario game and I loved it so much then I sold my NES and never played no3.

SuperMarioWorld literally blew me away it is a perfect game.

After playing no3 I can definitely undertstand why people love it so much, it is an amazing game.

Comment

SM64 is my number one. It still has the best control system of any 3D platformer ever - and that's including SMS. Second would have to be Yoshi's Island, just for being so damn loveable.

The SMW universe isn't painted with as strong a brush as those two, IMO. I appreciate the 'pureness' of the platforming on offer... but, I'm more attracted to the variety and imagination found in games like Yoshi's Island than hardcore challenges of dexterity.

Comment

Mario 64 was a gaming innovation imo there is no doubting that. But it isn?t my fav Mario. That goes to Super Mario World without a doubt. It is hard to put it to words, but not many games are still better then the vast majority so many years from its original release. That is still definitely something special.

Mario Sunshine, no matter how fun, entertaining and overly enjoyable it is, doesn?t quite hit the mark. After playing Zelda Wind Waker (JAP) it just emphasizes to me how disappointing it was and how it should?ve been better.

I miss the many, magical words from Super Mario World.

...Oh, please do not get me wrong. After re-reading through this, it seems i am against 64 and Sunshine. This isn't so at all. I just think SMW is a lot more what a mario game should be like...
                              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Working...
                              X