X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?18 for merchandise, ?36 for gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
      I thought they could only charge on commercial products? Obviously it is one, but if it's marked as gift...
      I am pretty sure that getting something marked as a GIFT just increases the import allowance to something like ?36 instead of ?18 for non gifts. Using XE ?36 is currently $67.60 so getting the value marked down to $60 should see you OK allowing for some currency fluctuation.

Comment

I thought they could only charge on commercial products? Obviously it is one, but if it's marked as gift...
        So i go ahead and order one as planed. Then email them with my details and ask for the package to be marked as a gift. Seems easy enough, lets just hope it works

Comment

Hmm half tempted to mark down after all.

Comment

Of course if you do get it marked down, there's the chance it gets damaged and you'll only be insured up to the amount declared.

I prefer to use the "not thinking about it" method.

Comment

Who needs insurance anyway? Did anyone see the vid of the Gamecube brutality where the only way they could properly break it was by setting it on fire?

I'd imagine this console to be just as robust.

Although, you would be slightly buggered if it got knicked.

Comment

Originally posted by Wishi-san
                Of course if you do get it marked down, there's the chance it gets damaged and you'll only be insured up to the amount declared.

I prefer to use the "not thinking about it" method.
                So there is a chance you could get away without paying it?

Comment

None what-so-ever, basically it's the risk you take, get it marked down and risk losing money if it gets lost or pay the extra when it arrives.

Comment

My math is crap, what kind of money would we be paying for customs?

I bought a DVD from Japan the other week that got caught by customs... had to pay ?7 for the customs, plus ?13 (yes THIRTEEN) extra charge to Royal Mail!

Comment

it's monday morning in canada heres hoping vg+ update today

Comment

My math is crap, what kind of money would we be paying for customs?

I bought a DVD from Japan the other week that got caught by customs... had to pay ?7 for the customs, plus ?13 (yes THIRTEEN) extra charge to Royal Mail!
                        How was it sent? Royal Mail's fee is ?4
                        Surely it was a courier at ?13?

At any rate, you pay VAT, Duty and the courier's admin fee.
                        Vat is 17.5%, duty is 3.5% IIRC and admin fees vary.
                        The vat and duty is payable on the shipping fee as well IIRC.

I usually just estimate 21% plus admin fee when I'm working it out for packages I'm expecting.

If VG+ sell it at ?135 and shipping is ?20, the total is ?155. So you'd pay circa ?33 plus admin fee. More expensive than a UK model but then you can at least look forward to NOA's release schedule instead of NOE's
                        Last edited by Geezer; 18-09-2006, 13:44.

Comment

Has anyone ever actually tried claiming postal insurance in the past?

Let me tell you, I have, and I won't be doing it again. My KoF2000 turned up smashed to bits once and it took me 6 months and around 10,000 forms to fill in before getting my cash back. Because it's international mail they need to see who was responsible for what before anyone will part with any cash. As you can imagine this results in companies passing blame around like pass-the-parcel (literally).

My FFVII cold-cast Cloud on bike statue which cost ?150 also ended up smashed to bits. It was insured but I couldn't be arsed with all that again so I glued it back together myself instead.

Comment

With this DVD, they held the thing at the local postal distro center and sent out a letter - so they had it in their posession for a few days. If they do that with the Wii, I won't get it till many days later - ack.

Markdown then.

Comment

Originally posted by wicky
                              it's monday morning in canada heres hoping vg+ update today
                              Amen to that, brother Ewok

Comment

Well all this is new to me. Ive always got my import consoles from a UK site/store in the past.

I think someone said in another thread (or maybe this one) that VG+ are likey to charge $300 for the console. At the moment that works out to ?159.916 using xe.com

Games should work out to be around ?30 give or take a few quid. So we are already up to ?190+ mark. Component cables will probably be around $25-30, so if i get hit by customs the final figure could be around ?300

Comment

Working...
                                X