Your gaming Nemeses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a boss but:

Spring Mario - Stupid, Stupid, Stupid levels!

Comment

This utter sod. Lost count of the number of times I was boosted past on the cusp of winning that race. I've never complained about rubberbanding in Mario Kart since.

This kept me busy as a kid. I didn't realise that his health regenerated if you fell off the tower, so there were many futile battles before I cottoned on.

Comment

The last boss of Rygar on the NES.
        I have tried a few times over the past 20 odd years but have never been able to beat him.

It still haunts me to this day.

Comment

Zelda games. All of them, I get to the Boss level mid way, die and can't be arsed with a 1 hour lost save point system.
          Metroid Prime. Some uber boss 75% in. Save point miles away.

Comment

Dr R Muckley on Nam 75 (neo geo)

Set all the levels to low on make with the max continues and I still couldn't beat him with lots of lives. Can get there with one credit but after that he is a nightmare

Geese on art of fighting 2 - never beaten him ever

The boss on ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 - Huge and he just kicks my ass

But reading over some other posts I found what they got stuck in easy so I'm sure everyone has beaten Muckley

Comment

Mizuki in Sam Sho II, I'm sure a skilled player would have no bother but I spent what seemed most of my teens toiling against her and her beast.
              Last edited by Baseley09; 17-04-2012, 10:42.

Comment

Landing in Top Gun (NES): my inner pilot kicks in a refuses to land at 300kts with 45?AOA.
                Also, the last Jade Falcon Trial of Position in Mechwarrior 2: a Firemoth against a Marauder IIC and a DireWolf? Only doable by legging them at minimum range; and doesn't work 100% with the DireWolf.
                Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 17-04-2012, 10:47.

Comment

I forgot: ViewPoint on Neo Geo. That game is NAILS!

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                    Zelda games. All of them, I get to the Boss level mid way, die and can't be arsed with a 1 hour lost save point system.
                    Metroid Prime. Some uber boss 75% in. Save point miles away.
                    don't all zelda games save before a boss?

Ive never played one that doesn't anyway, you usually just have to travel through the dungeon and Stright back to the boss which takes about 2 minutes at the most becuase everything is open. There's no hour lost saves in zelda games, or there isnt in any of the ones since the 16bit days anyway.
                    Last edited by rmoxon; 17-04-2012, 12:58.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                      don't all zelda games save before a boss?

Ive never played one that doesn't anyway, you usually just have to travel through the dungeon and Stright back to the boss which takes about 2 minutes at the most becuase everything is open. There's no hour lost saves in zelda games, or there isnt in any of the ones since the 16bit days anyway.
                      I experienced this with Zelda on SNES, OOT (64) and Windwalker (NGC)

It could of course be me though!

Edit: I have still got all games, and would love to try again, and you 100% sure about the save points mate?
                      Last edited by capcom_suicide; 17-04-2012, 15:14.

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
                        I experienced this with Zelda on SNES, OOT (64) and Windwalker (NGC)

It could of course be me though!

Edit: I have still got all games, and would love to try again, and you 100% sure about the save points mate?
                        Yes Im sure. The way they work is that when you die you start at the begining of the dungeon, but all the doors that you have opened are unlocked, this means that if you get to a boss and die then all you have to do is travel stright from the starting room to the boss area, it is usualy very easy to get too becuase of the convineant way that Zelda dungeons are designed.

The only exception I can think of when it comes to restarting after dying in a Zelda game is in The Phantom Hourglass, that had a stupid main dungeon area (which you had to revisit several times throughout the game). For that you had to travel through it the same way every time you did it. Horrible design that was.
                        Last edited by rmoxon; 17-04-2012, 15:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                          I've only ever really struggled with one boss fight, and that was the sodding Vampire Twins in Illusion of Time/Gaia on the SNES. Cheap ass bastards. Screen filling special attacks which stung like ****, a harsh time limit and to top it all off, once I had FINALLY ended them, I was given a choice of two actions, which would make you believe that if you picked the wrong one you'd have to do it all over again. Evil, thy name is Illusion of Time.
                          This, a million times. It took me so friggin' long to beat those toothy gits, you wouldn't believe. One time I almost had them licked, and my five year old brother stepped over my controller wires, tugging at the SNES and wobbling the cartridge - it crashed!

I replayed the game on emulator recently and even with save states, they are tough as nails.

My other nemesis has always been Andross in Starfox on the SNES. The rest of the game isn't too difficult, but I've never been able to beat Andross right at the end (apart from on emulator). For that reason, Lylat Wars has always been the more enjoyable game for me. I don't need the stress.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                            Yes Im sure. The way they work is that when you die you start at the begining of the dungeon, but all the doors that you have opened are unlocked, this means that if you get to a boss and die then all you have to do is travel stright from the starting room to the boss area, it is usualy very easy to get too becuase of the convineant way that Zelda dungeons are designed.

The only exception I can think of when it comes to restarting after dying in a Zelda game is in The Phantom Hourglass, that had a stupid main dungeon area (which you had to revisit several times throughout the game). For that you had to travel through it the same way every time you did it. Horrible design that was.

Thanks loads, have to try the series again.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                              Twins
                              Which reminds me...

Comment

(Extreme Mode)

(Story Mode 7 - Very Hard)
                                Last edited by dataDave; 17-04-2012, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X