No announcement yet.

Why Shenmue 2 is not as good as Shenmue 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id like to see in 3, that Ryo has to eat and drink every day. There are lots of eateries in the Shenmue universe that could be utilised. Unfortunatly it looks like they are trying to get away from the FREE concept, so this wont happen

Comment

I think they originaly planned to have all the food edible. If you read previews to Shenmue, most of them say that you have to eat food and drink. Perhaps that's why you can buy all that food in the Tomato Marts.

Although there's a great change in tone I don't think Shenmue II can really be thought of as separate from its brother, because the developement between both games was intertwined.
      I agree completly. When someone asks me which was my favourite I don't really know what to say, they are both part of the same story and I enjoy them equally.

Comment

Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger
        Id like to see in 3, that Ryo has to eat and drink every day. There are lots of eateries in the Shenmue universe that could be utilised. Unfortunatly it looks like they are trying to get away from the FREE concept, so this wont happen
        Looks like Ryo still aint gonna have a wash, he must stink! and what about toilets ?

Comment

Originally posted by optimusomega
          Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger
          Looks like Ryo still aint gonna have a wash, he must stink! and what about toilets ?
          What about changing his clothes?

Comment

Shenmue 1, 2 and 3 are all the same game. Design elements may change between them but compairing them is like saying "I liked chapter one of the Hobbit better than chapter 2"

It's a journey of emotions and experiences just sit back and enjoy the ride. Although it seems like the game won't end on a happy note unless Ryo changes his goals soon.

Comment

I don't think Shenmue III, if it ever gets made at all, can be classed within the same bracket as the previous two games.

The development there was intertwined, and yet three is/was stillborn and currently awaiting the go-ahead from the Sega upper echelon... According to Yu Suzuki.

Therefore its (potential) development won't be as intimately tied to the first and second. Neither will it most likely be developed with the same hardware in mind (DC).

And let's be honest, Shenmue cost a hell of a lot to make, and sold relatively little. The end result, economically, probably didn't justify the development costs. So why, looking at this logically, would Sega bankroll another expensive sequel to a (so far) finanically unsuccessful series?

Comment

I find it increadibly sad that a game on the scale of shenmue that combines amazing story, fantastic music, beutiful enviroments and a huge world to explore can have its development placed in question.

And I do consider shenmue 3 to the same game as 1 and 2 because while it may have more power behind it, it is just another part of the story it's like releasing each FF7 disc one at a time. It will also have much the same team behind it and all the design was done years ago as you can see in the project Berkley video for shenmue one there are pictures of Ren and other unseen characters.

Comment

Shenmue III has had it's development placed in question because Sega won't officially confirm anything and the series flopped commerically, in light of the money that was spent on it.

Is that sad? Hell yes. But Shenmue I/II were niche titles, and because of their individuality, they didn't appeal to Mr. Joe Public. Perhaps it was because the series set itself in real life modern cultures, that featured an atmosphere and setting which didn't find favour with a Western videogaming audience?

Who knows? It seems a lot of games that strive for imagination, originality and quality proves to take a dive in the charts as soon as they are released. Anything which basically takes a bit of effort to get one's head around...

Having said that, Sega took a risk and knew the risk involved. They spent a lot of money on something new and there was always the chance of commercial failure.

What I fear is that if Shenmue does resurface, Sega may alter the concept radically to market their game to a wider audience.

Well, then Shenmue wouldn't be Shenmue.

We shall see. I keep saying this, and I'll say it again.

Please.
                  Please.
                  Please.

Sega prove me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X