Games u really liked, that went almost un-noticed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games u really liked, that went almost un-noticed

God im bored, anyway ever really loved a game that went overlooked by everyone else?
    Well i did, even if you didnt

1) Virtual Pool, i must have spent 500 hours playing this when i was at uni, i only bought it because it was 3 quid

2) Jaki Crush, (SF). I really dug it never heard anyone mention it here.

3) Godzilla (Dreamcast). Great fun, n one else liked it

4)AJPW (Saturn), Best wrasllin game ever

5) Conflict (Atari ST) One of my fav games of all time, never managed to beat Egypt in a war, which pissed me off

6) Hunter (Amiga/ST) I know it was big at the tme, but not mentioned that much now. When it came out, i couldn't imagine HOW a game COULD be any better.

7) Shenmue, (Joke). I cannnot put into words how much i love this game............

But in reality, almost all the great, truly imaginative titles over the past few years, have gone un-noticed.

Quality, without marketing, doesn't seem to sell.

If you've got a budget to promote and you dumb down then you'll be fine. I suppose it depends who you mean when referring to overlooked. Do you mean dedicated gamers or the more general gaming public?

If it's the latter, then there's soooooooooooo much quality they've let slip through their fingers.

Comment

I'm gonna wheel out my standard response to this question

Jagged Alliance 2

Simply one of the best strategy/tactical combat focused RPGs I've ever plaued. Open non-linear deep gameplay (go about things how you like) but still narrative driven. Stunning stunning game. And it sold hardly any copies. There was a JA3 in the works but it got binned due to poor sales of 2 and the resulting financial problems. I was gutted.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
        But in reality, almost all the great, truly imaginative titles over the past few years, have gone un-noticed.

If you've got a budget to promote and you dumb down then you'll be fine. I suppose it depends who you mean when referring to overlooked. Do you mean dedicated gamers or the more general gaming public?

If it's the latter, then there's soooooooooooo much quality they've let slip through their fingers.
        Just games that you dont see people on here talk about, but you loved.
        Creativity is at an all time low, because the market got so big, and therefore the lowest common denominater wins out.
        The biggest selling Music is Crap, The big movies are crap, TV is crap.
        Gaming is an immature industy however, so hopefully the market will educate itself. Yeah right..........

Comment

Hmm, where to begin:

Just about any Looking Glass game: System Shock 2 in particular, the fact that many who played didn't finish this due to it being too scary says a lot for the depth of atmosphere on display. Re-spawning enemies may be a sore point for some, but the fact was that due to this mechanic you never felt safe, you could never stay in one place for very long, because there really was an entire ship full of creatures primarily after you.

Planescape: Torment - I could rabbit on about this game until someone throttled me to make me shut up, tbh. Best RPG I've ever played bar none, an interesting and uncliched setting combined with an intriguing plot, characters, and an incredibly detailed backstory which would shame most novels. The struggle of the main character draws you in to such an extent it makes you question your own path in life, and the very nature of personality itself.

Hostile Waters - One of Rage's last great games before they passed into the ether, and one which benifited from the contributions of comic supremo Warren Ellis. Highly enjoyable combat action and interface, with some nice voice acting from Tom Baker and notable others to boot.

I'm sure there are many others, but those are my main woes.

Comment

Pinball Action - Arcade. Spent hours and hours on this in Hong Kong. Play it lots on MAME these days!

Elemental Master on MD. Class shooter from Technosoft.

Herzog Zwei on MD - brilliant strategy game.

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi Biscuit
              Just about any Looking Glass game.
              I am no fan of PC gaming but barring their flight sims there games were always outstanding.

The Ninja (master system). Such a hard game in places but one that is bloody addictive and good fun.

Comment

Virtual Athlete 2k.

The Dreamcasts premier game for when you and your mates are too drunk to do anything else but randomly bash buttons. Amazingly good fun in 4 player.

Comment

Mr. Biscuit - it would seem our tastes are very similar!

All three games you list are absolutely first rate and yet sadly overlooked by many

I did actually manage to complete System Shock 2 - by limiting my playtime to the daylight hours

Comment

Giants and Ico are still underrated in my opinion, but they are probablys still quiet well known by most hardcore gamers.

Comment

Shadow Hearts on the PS2, Whenever PS2 RPG discussion pops up, I never see this mentioned, in many respects it's better than FFX.

Chase HollyWood Stunt Driver, Xbox. Sweet little Stuntman rip-off, really nice set-pieces to take part in as well as the chance to save and watch your replays, cool stuff.

Toukon Retsuden 4, THE wrestling game on the DC, the wrestler intro's are some of the best I've seen. Plus the animation for Masahiro Chono's DDT and Piledriver gives me goosebumps.

Comment

justin ive got jaki crush, currently trying to shift it hehehe

anyway some gems of mine that seem to have gone unnoticed

Suikoden - fantastic rpg, sadly overlooked by many, a close second to ff7 as my fave all time rpg

Vandal Hearts - fantastic strategy tactics game from konami, all too shortlived but beautiful while it lasts

Front Mission 3 - another strategy tactics title which is from square, brilliant game, only game ive finished recently!

Snow Surfers DC - i really enjoyed this game, funky soundtrack, at the time sublime graphics and very fun to play

NBA Inside Drive 2002 xbox - only picked this up with my xbox cos it was cheap now one of the only games i still have, excellent fun!!

Comment

Sega GT 2003 on Xbox. I actually find it more fun than Gran Turismo 3.

Originally posted by Concept
                          It's stupid, because most publishers don't realise this and only advertise the big budget games that normally don't need advertising, because they have a popular license!

Comment

Originally posted by stroppa
                            Shadow Hearts on the PS2, Whenever PS2 RPG discussion pops up, I never see this mentioned, in many respects it's better than FFX.

Chase HollyWood Stunt Driver, Xbox. Sweet little Stuntman rip-off, really nice set-pieces to take part in as well as the chance to save and watch your replays, cool stuff.

Toukon Retsuden 4, THE wrestling game on the DC, the wrestler intro's are some of the best I've seen. Plus the animation for Masahiro Chono's DDT and Piledriver gives me goosebumps.
                            Im a massive fan of NJPW, and couldn;t wait to play it. Graphics are great as are the etrances. But its to hard IMHO to pull off a variety of moves and have a good match. Most matches i have are just Suplex, Stomp, Repeat

Comment

I really liked playing Exhumed on the saturn.

And i put in loads of hours on that Amiga game, the one where your a blue blob that can absorb enemies & morph into them. And all the sound FX where ripped from a Screwball Squirrle cartoon?

What was it again?

Comment

Working...
                              X