No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 5 - racist or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might not be Africa though. Haiti has been banded about.

Edit:- If it was Africa there would be Nigerian traders trying to fob you off with a nice Rawlex watch. Jewellery Stranger....

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbob View Post
      I'm quite frankly appalled that Capcom have set a game in Africa and then had the gall to represent Africans as Black. I mean LOL, whatever next!
      This.

Well, this plus the fact that all that's been shown is one location, and people are banging on about representation of the folk in the trailer, and claiming that the whole game could be seen as racist because of this. Fair point about the Cathedral in Resistance, but...well, that was ridiculous as well!

Doesn't look any more racist than Resi 4 to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Gear View Post

Edit:- If it was Africa there would be Nigerian traders trying to fob you off with a nice Rawlex watch. Jewellery Stranger....
        Apparently the merchant in this one won't be buying treasure off you, instead he opens his jacket and offers you a "unique business opportunity".

Comment

This kinda thing has become more prevalent with better graphics dont you think?

Which GTA was it where you could run over a full group of Orange hooded religious guys? Was it GTA 1?

Though I like every white man am shocked that a game set in Africa would contain "coloured people" ! How very dare they? I wonder if they will put a jokey/cheeky "Where's Wally" achievement in the 360 version after the inevitable hoo-ha this will create...

Comment

Maybe they could add a slider bar to allow you to adjust the skintone to your liking so you can take it down the Michael Jackson route if you're offended ?

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax View Post
              Maybe they could add a slider bar to allow you to adjust the skintone to your liking so you can take it down the Michael Jackson route if you're offended ?
              You mean something like this?

Comment

Same wavelength haha my man

Comment

IMO, the many, many sandbox gangsta games flooding the market are far more racist than this game could ever be thought to be simply by their continual perpetuation of negative black male stereotypes.

Of course, the intent of those games is simply to tap into a viable market created in the wake of GTA:SA rather than to perpetuate some sinister agenda, but the negative stereotyping is there all the same...

Comment

If a load of people started kicking up a fuss, could Capcom change the main character to a black guy? Would that suddenly make it acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenballs View Post
                      If a load of people started kicking up a fuss, could Capcom change the main character to a black guy? Would that suddenly make it acceptable?
                      I'd be more interested if they changed all the enemies to Michael Jacksons...can we not go that route instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
                        I'd be more interested if they changed all the enemies to Michael Jacksons...can we not go that route instead?
                        That would be hilarious

I wish I could say I'm suprised that people could/probably will say that Res 5 is racist, unfortunatly I'm not suprised.

It's set in Africa (maybe) FFS!

Comment

Originally posted by Ady View Post
                          IMO, the many, many sandbox gangsta games flooding the market are far more racist than this game could ever be thought to be simply by their continual perpetuation of negative black male stereotypes.

Of course, the intent of those games is simply to tap into a viable market created in the wake of GTA:SA rather than to perpetuate some sinister agenda, but the negative stereotyping is there all the same...
                          Spot on. But this kinda topic has been done to death recently hasn't it?... Move along, nothing to see here

Comment

Originally posted by Goldenballs View Post
                            That would be hilarious

I wish I could say I'm suprised that people could/probably will say that Res 5 is racist, unfortunatly I'm not suprised.

It's set in Africa (maybe) FFS!
                            The game would have been much more fun if it were set in Peckham...

Seriously, I can't actually believe this is even being debated on this forum.

Was Batman racist because his suit was black? Cos that's about as racist as Resi 5.

Comment

[please delete]
                              Last edited by Kongster; 31-07-2007, 01:55.

Comment

I was tempted to comment, but shan't.
                                Last edited by Jebus; 30-07-2007, 19:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X