"AAA" games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brats
    Just don't get me started on whether "Bridget Jones' Diary" should have an extra "s" .
    I thought the official line on this was that both Jones' and Jones's were acceptable, although in practice it would seem that Jones' is the more widely used way to denote possession when a word ends in 's'.

Comment

Originally posted by seibu
      Just don't get me started on whether "Bridget Jones' Diary" should have an extra "s" .
      I thought the official line on this was that both Jones' and Jones's were acceptable, although in practice it would seem that Jones' is the more widely used way to denote possession when a word ends in 's'.
      Yes, unless there's more than one Jones, in which case you start on the Joneses'.

Tim (tm)

Comment

Only in the possesive. Plurals don't require apostrophes. You'd get into trouble if there were two families called Jones who - say - indulged in wife-swapping.

Then you would be saying "The Joneses's's's's wife-swapping antics were caught on camera"

....or something.

Comment

I don't wanna side with the JRM on this one but.........

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)
          acronym noun [C]
          an abbreviation consisting of the first letters of each word in the name of something, pronounced as a word:
          AIDS is an acronym for 'Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome'.

Ha ha ha .... you never saw it Right !!!!!

Comment

Umm...Ravon...think about that for a mo. How do you pronounce 'AIDS' and how do you pronounce 'FBI'....?

Here's the clincher for ya:

pronounced as a word.

Comment

poor guy just wanted to know some stuff about ps2 games, insted he gets lectures on philosiphy and the use of the english language.

Comment

On the other hand, he's a n00b, and his first thread has 4 pages, 51 replies and 485 views. Not bad!

Comment

Originally posted by seibu
                  Perhaps it should be amended to read, Bridget Jones' Diaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
                    On the other hand, he's a n00b, and his first thread has 4 pages, 51 replies and 485 views. Not bad!

and a very informative thread it has been to

Comment

quote="Treble"]On the other hand, he's a n00b, and his first thread has 4 pages, 51 replies and 485 views. Not bad!

[/quote]

Heh...wats a n00b?

BTW, I did buy a PS2 because of GT3, MGS2, Square's games and Winning Eleven Series.

Comment

Assuming you're not kidding ( ), a n00b is a newbie - new to the forums.

Comment

Must be a real n00b. Can't do quotes properly yet.
                          Oh yeah. Initial D! Great PS2 driving game. See the review on our homepage.

Comment

Assuming you're not kidding ( ), a n00b is a newbie - new to the forums.
                            Oh...

Comment

Umm...Ravon...think about that for a mo. How do you pronounce 'AIDS' and how do you pronounce 'FBI'....?

Here's the clincher for ya:

pronounced as a word.
                              Well, I've lurked too long on this and want to stick my our in.

Treble: You are arguing bravely, but what you say just isn't water tight.
                              An acronym is an abbreviation of a set of words (usually made up of the first letters of the words) that has become a recognisable word in its own right. "FBI" is a no less a word (in the collection of letters sense) than "RADAR" or "LASER". You argue that "FBI" is not pronounced as a word, but it is. It so happens thought that the word "FBI" is pronounced as "eff-bee-eye".

As for "Bridget Jones' Diary":

apostrophes with proper names/nouns ending in s that are singular, follow the rule of writing what is voiced, eg, Keats's poetry, Sobers's batting, The Times's style (or Times style); and with names where the final “s” is soft, use the “s” apostrophe, eg, Rabelais' writings, Delors' presidency; plurals follow normal form, as Lehman Brothers' loss etc
                              Note that with Greek names of more than one syllable that end in "s", do not use the apostrophe "s", eg, Aristophanes' plays, Achilles' heel, Socrates' life, Archimedes' principle
                              Beware of organisations that have variations as their house style, eg, St Thomas' Hospital, where we must respect their whim
                              Also, take care with apostrophes with plural nouns, eg, women's, not womens'; children's, not childrens'; people's, not peoples'.
                              Use the apostrophe in expressions such as two years' time, several hours' delay etc.
                              An apostrophe should be used to indicate the plural of single letters - p's and q's
                              from: Times Style Guide @ http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...41-560,00.html

Comment

Although FBI is as recognised as word as much as 'Laser', laser is actually pronounced as a word, whereas FBI is still 3 letters pronounced one after the other. Unless I'm the only person in the world who doesn't refer to the Federal Bureau of Investigation as "Fibi".

Anyway. Most people associate the Federal Bureau of Investigation with the term FBI, unlike Laser, which they associate a Martian death ray with, as opposed to the words originally involved in the construction of the abbreviation.

- Corrupt Rose

Comment

Working...
                                X