do you buy every game in a series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Light View Post
    I never buy every single game in a series. The simple truth is that there are very few (if any) franchises that don't have crappy, or at the very least, less than worthy titles. And if a game isn't good then what's the point in owning it? If anything, having it in my collection would only hurt my overall appreciation of the franchise, so to avoid this I keep only to the games that I like. Games that I enjoyed playing through the first time, and can see myself getting something out of them in the future. Be it another playthrough or the simple satisfaction of having them in my collection.
    QFT
    I can't understand the point in owning entire console collections either. I'm happier not having that pathetic ****e on the consoles among the other amazing games. Whether it be ET, shadow the hedgehog, volleyball (NES), zelda II etc

Comment

while i don't own all the games in a particular series, i try to at least play them. selling my PS2 took a chunk out of my MGS collection but i still have the other games on alternative formats - Xbox, GC, PSP etc. and sometimes when i'm bored i'll use my action figures to act out the cutscenes from SoL.

same with Biohazard games - i've almost played them all, but never owned them all at once, even the Outbreak games are worth a play. i do own all the GC versions though, which i'm pretty pleased with. Deadly Silence is next

i can't see the point of owning continually updated games such as Fifa or Pro Evo, even for nostalgia or completion reasons. it's the same game but just with refinements - it's still football, basketball or whatever.

Comment

There are several series that I buy religiously.
        Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Soul Edge/Calibur, Tekken, MGS.
        They're automatic purchases.

I even buy all the crappy spin-offs (yes, even RE Gaiden and...*cough*...Death by Degrees), but only when I can get them very cheaply.

Comment

Anything with Super & Mario in the title is pretty much guaranteed to end up in my house at some time.

The Seiken Densetsu series is another must buy for me. Castlevania too, although I didn't bother with the 3D stuff.

And I really can't resist Gran Turismo!!!

I've already bought 2 Dual Shock 3s for GT5. I'll be downloading Prologue from the JP Store on the 13th December as well as importing the Blu-ray version.

I know I'll do exactly the same next Easter with the English language release too and probably repeating the whole crazy cycle again when the full game is released!

I'm definately not buying a steering wheel...

...maybe!

Thinking about it, it may well be cheaper for me to just buy the bloody cars than go through all this.

Comment

Surely someone here must have all the Final fantasy games lol........ eve nteh spin offs.........

Im kind of a survival horror junky so every decent 3rd person one that comes out i will buy.......... im such a sucker.........

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
              Surely someone here must have all the Final fantasy games lol........ eve nteh spin offs.........

Im kind of a survival horror junky so every decent 3rd person one that comes out i will buy.......... im such a sucker.........

I have final fantasys VII to XII, including X-2 but no XI. Also have FF3 on DS, Crystal chronicles on GC and FF tactics on PS1. I don't have any of the PS or GBA remakes or FFVII spin off games though.

Comment

But isnt VII a ps game?

Comment

Originally posted by Light View Post
                  I never buy every single game in a series. The simple truth is that there are very few (if any) franchises that don't have crappy, or at the very least, less than worthy titles. And if a game isn't good then what's the point in owning it? If anything, having it in my collection would only hurt my overall appreciation of the franchise, so to avoid this I keep only to the games that I like. Games that I enjoyed playing through the first time, and can see myself getting something out of them in the future. Be it another playthrough or the simple satisfaction of having them in my collection.
                  In the case of me and Resi, it's not really about collection, but more about wanting to experience every piece of the series.

What you say does apply to me and Sonic though, I've long since stopped religiously buying all those.

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                    But isnt VII a ps game?

look again at my post. No PS remakes. FFVII to IX and tactics are PS originals.

Comment

lol, my bad Mr Donkey

Comment

Only with certain games listed below

Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid & Halo

Comment

I do buy winning eleven games a lot for PS2, but stopped for PES series on XBOX 360. Due to better output on HDTV.

I like to buy quality games. I wouldn't buy a console just for the next game of franchise.

Nowdays I just buy Wii and XBOX 360 games for the moment.

Comment

I have all the Final Fantasy games that have been translated, some in multiple versions, but not all the spin-offs - Ehrgeiz, but only one Chocobo game for example. Revenant Wings next up, on the 20th.

Comment

If only being in a series guaranteed a consistent level of quality! If i had that reassurance then it would be a given that i'd collect and complete them. Nowadays though, so many developers are only responsible for one game and then pass the mantle on to a new studio, it's leading to vastly variable results. For example take Devil May Cry - the first was great but the second almost destroyed my passion for gaming altogether (it'd be shorter to list what they did right than wrong, that's how diabolical i thought it was!). Lucky for me i still got to experience DMC 3 though.

I'm lead solely by reviews from sources i trust and genre...the title on the box means little to me now, much more important is the developer. Ultimately a game relies on it's own merits and not those of it's sequels/prequels.

Comment

well with me i like football games but i do not play them to any great depth....and i just felt that football games have pretty much played the same the past few years i am sure the people who do play them a lot would disagree but then again they play them far more then me i personally if i had say evolution 1 i would not buy evolution 2 as in my eyes it would feel like i am playing the same game again.

Comment

Working...
                                X