Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your top 5 games that *DIDN'T* live up to the hype in 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing is go look at the inverse thread and those same games are probably cropping up a lot more in there than in here.

Both threads should've been limited to one game - best & worst - that'd have made things much more interesting

Comment

1 - Heavenly Sword (very pretty pre-rendered cut scenes can't make up for the button mashing gameplay)

2 - Uncharted (just an average Gears of War clone at heart with nowhere near enough platforming and adventuring)

3 - SEGA Rally (poor frame rate, mediocre visuals, dreadful music, and none of that SEGA Rally feel)

4 - Halo 3 (surprise surprise, it really was just Halo 2 again and with similar dated visuals)

5 - Crysis (this isn't a bad game at all, it's actually pretty good, but it in no way justifies the enormous hardware costs involved to run it. And Assassin's Creed has better visuals anyway...)

Comment

Bioshock (the last third): I actually thought this game was amazing as I played through it. Great atmosphere, presentation and gameplay. Then the twist hit and the game just seemed to go on and on and felt like a chore (especially the hacking). As soon as I start wishing for a game to end, you know it’s not a good sign. Prior to this, it is a good game but it’s faults clearly prevent it from living up to the hype that occurred prior to release.

Halo 3: I so wanted to like this. I thought the campaign in Halo: Combat Evolved was absolutely staggering but despite multiple attempts to get into Halo 2, I always found it average at best. I bought into the reports that Bungie were going to deliver a worthy single-player campaign this time but after 1 level I was already quite bored and never bothered to go back to it. Just totally failed to engross me like The Orange Box did. I know a lot of people rate the multiplayer but not being a fan of this aspect I’ve only given it a few games. Was kind of fun but hardly the 10/10 EDGE made it out to be.

Heavenly Sword: Had worries about this from the start really, but Sony kept hyping it up as The Second Coming. Not even as good as Ninja Gaiden let alone the genre-master Devil May Cry 3. Luckily Capcom will soon be on hand to show us how it is done.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008: Again not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination (still the best videogame representation of football) but after all the promises of a next-gen PES/WE built from the ground up, what we got was massively disappointing.

Tekken 5: Dark Ressurrection Online: The actual game is the solid Tekken that I enjoy but the online mode is awful. Missed opportunity.

Comment

In no order

Bioshock - lost interest after a couple of hours
          Lost Planet - took it back the next day
          Excitetruck - should have made Excitebike 64 for the Wii
          Resistance - looked Ok but a poor FPS
          Burnout Dominator - only version of Burnout I have not liked

Other contenders
          Jericho, Heavenly Sword

Comment

Working...
          X