Current PS3, and 360 sales debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chain View Post
    I can see what Sony were trying for. Regular CPUs are hitting their limits. All we have to look forward to is improved pipelines (better prediction), and more CPUs per chip. With Cell, they've jumped a little in the future and provided a chip with many CPUs. The problem is the instruction set is unfamiliar, and it takes a lot of work to assign tasks to each core to optimise it. This is a problem devs will face next gen. The next XBox will have, at a guess, 8 or 16 cores. If Sony carry on with the Cell, the PS4 would likely have a faster Cell with 32 on it

Is Cell the way forward? Well it's one way. It's got huge scientific advantages over a regular CPU.

On the other hand, we may be looking at a GPU based future. NVidia with CUDA are showing the benefits of offloading a lot of previously CPU intensive work to a highly optimised parallel GPU. The next gen consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if both MS and Sony went with nVidia. They won't need an amazingly fast "future" GPU, they could use something like the upcoming G280, which will be able to run 1080, 60fps, with 4xAA and 16xAF and still have room to spare - that GPU should run everything you throw at it at a higher screen mode than TV HD, with the exception of Crysis of course

With such a GPU, you'd have plenty of room left to assign at least physics to it as well. Take physics off the CPU, one of the big next-gen must haves, and the CPU won't need to be as meaty. I don't know what else you could run on the GPU, given it's nature I don't think it would be very good at AI for example, but again some smart devs may come up with a highly mathematical AI routine that would sit in CUDA nicely.

TBH you could probably get away with a decent quad core Intel CPU then. 4gig RAM, 1gig of it dedicated to the GPU with a 512 bus (to ensure bandwidth for AA), that's a real next gen console right there.

Wow I've managed to take a thread originally split because I took it off topic back off topic
    Mate, im not getting at you but what about the umnmmmmmm "games" we are talking about Videogames right? nor building a server..

RAM, GPU, CUDA, NVIDIA, CELL processing

man, who gives a f*ck?

Just give me something fun to play when i get home from work and leave all the agonizing about 1080p RAM and god knows what else to PC hobbyists..

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
      Jushin im pretty sure he is a Man U fan

ooooops, so he is!

Damn my eyes, i should really stop masturbating....

Comment

I'd love to know what sort of people (and proportions) are buying each console. e.g. 360: 5% enthusiasts like most of the people on this forum that research every little thing for hours before purchasing, 10% kids get given it as a present by their parents, 85% normal people that just want a games console of some sort and just go into a shop and get whatever their mates have. (and same proportions for other consoles) etc. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jushin-Thunder-Liger View Post
          I dont get the tone of your posts on this topic, you seem to be trying to twist figures to fit around your belief's that the PS3 is doing just great, much like a deluded football fan tries to convince himself that this is their year and that the only reason they didnt win...
          Nah, he is just a optimist.

Comment

I dont get the tone of your posts on this topic, you seem to be trying to twist figures to fit around your belief's that the PS3 is doing just great, much like a deluded football fan tries to convince himself that this is their year and that the only reason they didnt win anything last year was down to the referee's being biased or whatever.

;-) i noticed you are a 'pool fan...

Mate, the PS3 is a piece of consumer electronics made by a big fat multi national corporation, not a football team....

ta
            LOL. I agree with your Consumer Electronics by a big fat corp part absolutely. I don't do fanboyism, it's daft.

I was simply pointing out that, despite stories of doom and gloom in these parts, the PS3 is actually selling OK. Not brilliantly, but OK. Outsold the 360 in Europe, kept track of the PS2 for a while. These are hardly the figures of a failure that many want to tarnish the console with.

I'm not twisting any figures, just looking at them objectively. It is outselling the 360, but nowhere near the Wii. How exactly is that twisting the figures? It's what the graph shows!

Comment

Mate, im not getting at you but what about the umnmmmmmm "games" we are talking about Videogames right? nor building a server..

RAM, GPU, CUDA, NVIDIA, CELL processing

man, who gives a f*ck?

Just give me something fun to play when i get home from work and leave all the agonizing about 1080p RAM and god knows what else to PC hobbyists..
              If you're not interested in those things, don't read my post. Some people are interested in the technology. It's ultimately what powers the games and is very important.

I find technology discussions interesting. We were discussing where future consoles may go. If you don't like, or understand, the technology, just ignore those discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
                If you're not interested in those things, don't read my post. Some people are interested in the technology. It's ultimately what powers the games and is very important.

I find technology discussions interesting. We were discussing where future consoles may go. If you don't like, or understand, the technology, just ignore those discussions.
                I understand it amigo, i build high spec servers for a living, and believe me its a soulless, nay, shameful way to live!

Comment

I understand it amigo, i build high spec servers for a living, and believe me its a soulless, nay, shameful way to live!
                  Cool. Then please don't have a pop at people just for discussing technology. Right now, the next tech of consoles is up in the air, there are a few routes it can take and talking about it can be fun

Comment

Working...
                  X