This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argh! Should I buy a Wii?

I've just got myself a job after being pennyless for ages, I've wanted a Wii ever since hearing about it but had to cancel my preorder before it was released as I lost my job at the time. I could get one *right now* but should I?

I have loads of 360 and DS games to catch up on, do I really need to start a new console?

On the other hand, every day I'm without it feels like it's leaving me behind. It'd be nice to own it and buy the games while it still feels current, not that I'm expecting it to get replaced anytime soon.

In my opinion it's worth buying one just for Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii but if neither of those games interest you then I wouldn't bother. There isn't a lot else on the Wii to recommend it and the future's looking pretty bleak too. As far as I'm aware there isn't one decent Wii game on the horizon.

Comment

Do you want one because everyone's talking about it, or because there are a load of games that you want to play on it? If it's the latter and money/time isn't a problem then go for it.

If money/time is a problem then you're the only person that can decide if it's right for you.

If I had the time I'd still have mine. There aren't a huge amount of games I want on it personally, but there are enough to warrant a purchase, definitely.

Comment

If you have alot of friends coming around then yeah. Personally for me, at the moment there is not enough titles on it to keep my interest. When one does come out, it'll keep me busy for a week or two, and then the Wii will go back to being unplayed for a few months untill the next game comes out.

Each to their own really. If ya really want one, just go out and get one.

Comment

Life can become stale if you never buy a new console! Definitely worth a look for:

No More Heroes
          Super Mario Galaxy
          Wii Sports (fun for a few months)
          Metroid Prime 3 (still good fun, IMO)
          Super Smash Bros Brawl
          Lightgun games
          Lost Winds (and the VC)
          Zack and Wiki

To name but a few.

I was in a similar position to you last year. Wasn't sure if I should take the plunge (and financial hit), but it's definitely a breath of fresh air: adds a new dimension compared to 360, which is all about guns and cars.

Comment

I would recommend getting a second hand one with "SM Galaxy" and any other games that grab your fancy and then sell it on again tbh. Galaxy is a GREAT game and well worth a play - there is nothing on the 360 that is similar either. Have a go on the "hand waving" games and if you enjoy the mechanic, keep it.

Comment

Dude, jus get one, if after a while you dont like it, sell it........... its the only way to be sure........... 'no offence'

Last edited by NoelEdwards; 26-06-2008, 09:47.

Comment

I'd get one. I have all 3 and tbh i play my 360 the most,followed by my Wii then my PS3 a very very distant 3rd.

There are some great games for the Wii though as some have mentioned above and if you can pick a second hand one up for about ?100 you'll get moneys worth no probs. It's not the most powerful but thats not the point of the system. Its innovative and it is the most fun i think i have ever had with a console and i'm knocking forty.
                There will be periods where you'll be waiting for games to come out as it is a niche system but its still well worth getting one.

My current faves atm:

Bomb Blox (so addictive and frustrating in equal measure when you get on the later levels but pretty much unputdownable when you start)
                Mario Galaxy
                No More Heroes
                Mario Kart
                Pro Evo 08 is excellent on the Wii as well when you get used to it.

Also waiting for Wii love golf. Everybodys golf for the Wii.

Comment

I'm sorry to say I couldn't recommend getting one now. A few months back I might have said given it the benefit of the doubt and said 'yes, get one', but not any more. I have, what, seven retail games for mine, and I've had it since launch. It's easily the least used of all my machines and I have to say it's spent a lot of time gathering dust between releases.

And besides the two or three games coming from Platinum Games (Shinji Mikami and Atsushi Inaba's new studio) I can't honestly think of anything on the horizon that I'd be interested in. The release list for it now is just an endless parade of shovelware, licenses and me-too titles.

Really I'd have to say that unless you're likely to spend a lot of money on Virtual Console games it's probably wait-and-see time.
                  Last edited by NoelEdwards; 26-06-2008, 09:48.

Comment

you can have mine, its been in standby for 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by stainboy View Post
                      I've just got myself a job after being pennyless for ages, I've wanted a Wii ever since hearing about it but had to cancel my preorder before it was released as I lost my job at the time. I could get one *right now* but should I?

I have loads of 360 and DS games to catch up on, do I really need to start a new console?

On the other hand, every day I'm without it feels like it's leaving me behind. It'd be nice to own it and buy the games while it still feels current, not that I'm expecting it to get replaced anytime soon.
                      I would't have bothered in hindsight, although I'm sure others will tell you different. In my time of owning a Wii (Dec 06), I have bought two games for it.

Zelda (TP) and Super Mario Galaxy. Waste of money in my opinion if you have backlogs on other machines.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                        I would't have bothered in hindsight, although I'm sure others will tell you different. In my time of owning a Wii (Dec 06), I have bought two games for it.

Zelda (TP) and Super Mario Galaxy. Waste of money in my opinion if you have backlogs on other machines.
                        I did have one and found the motion sensing just not as exact as I had been led to believe. Its quite tiring also! As for the games, well I think it finally clicked playing this Zelda that I'm actually a bit fed up with the series and its not that inspiring.

I ended up only dragging mine out for multiplayer stuff unfortunately.

Comment

Isn't Treasure supposedly working on a sequel to Sin and Punishment?

Other than that i think the only games i'm really looking forward to are wiiware titles (bomberman, tetris, aero guitar and maybe alien crush)

Comment

When people say "I have X number of retail titles" it implies only that that is the number of games they own, not that it is the total sum of decent games for the system. It's a cheap system which provides some much needed Japanese thrills for me, so I'm pretty happy with it. Obviously there are times of drought, but when the OP already owns two other systems (and even a backlog of games) there's always something to fill your time with.

I have to say the opening page did sound rather fanboyish (which is unusual on NTSC-uk). That's not to say everyone should encourage a purchase, but saying that only casuals and the elderly will find something enjoyable smacks of ignorance.

Comment

Definitely worth buying one if only for SMG and No More Heroes. I have 11 games that I would class as 'keepers' and have probably owned about 20ish since launch so overall I am really happy with the system.

I can't understand the argument that there are no decent games released/upcomingbut then again I think the 360's library is pretty dull so clearly my tastes are quite different to most people on here.

Comment

Working...
                              X