This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you should get one.

It was a combination of the Wii & PS3 which made me sell my 360 after a couple of months of just not being used.

It's worth remembering though that on average Wii games get the lower review scores out of the 3 main consoles due to there being so much crap thrown out for it. The good games so far have been very good although as much as I love it I'm still not sure what Nintendo are going to do now that their major games have already been released on it.

Also, it's worth remembering that the VC is by far the most overpriced of the 3 DLC services. When you are paying 500points for C64/NES games, 900points for NeoGeo & 1000points for N64 is far to much.

It's worth remembering that the Wii has some sort of ugly filter thing going on which makes the games look far worse than they should do and it suffers on HD TVs too.

Even with that though, I get a lot of play out of mine with all the faults it has.

EDIT:
    Oh yeah, congrats with the new job too!!
    Last edited by JP; 24-06-2008, 17:01.

Comment

I love my Wii, it's my most played console this gen and has by far the best games lineup for my tastes.

I'm 24
      I'm Male
      I don't receive my pension

It has the only football title of note so far this gen, as Pro Evo on Wii blows the other versions out of the water. Mario Strikers is also the best offline multiplayer game I've played in years.

Mario Kart is the best one yet IMO, Super Mario Galaxy is just magic in your hands. I'm also very behind on my Wii gaming with titles like Boom Blox high on my to get list. If theres any criticism I have against the Wii, it's the lack of High Def and lack of onboard storage, especially with some fantastic Wii Ware titles on the market that I now avoid because I don't want to delete anything off my system to play them.

The only major omission from my gaming diet though really, are racing games (theres naff all barring Mario Kart which doesn't really count) and Rock Band, though thats partially being corrected this year, lack of Download Content is a deal breaker for me.

I do have a PS3 and 360 which I also love, but overall, when a Wii game is good (like Mario Galaxy good), I generally find it more enjoyable than anything I've found on 360 or PS3.

Comment

It is a very different machine to other consoles and people do have to question whether it's right for them due to the type of games that so often are released on it.

The closest thing I can think of to compare it to is the PS2 when it was at it's most popular. That had loads of really bad games being released but also some gems at the time. It's the same for the Wii but the ratio to good/bad games does seem to be lower on the Wii to me.

I wouldn't sell mine due to the few games that have been released which have been so enjoyable but there hasn't been that and I'm really hoping that Nintendo surprise me at E3 but there really aren't that many which are on there way which seem to be as interesting as the the good games that have already been released.

I so think that some people allow Nintendo to get away with some stuff just because they are Nintendo and Microsoft/Sony don't seem to get the same leeway.

My two favourite consoles ever are the Gamecube & the SNES but I just don't see the games on the Wii being held in such high esteem by me in the future as the games on those two.

I'd still recommend buying one for the good games that are out though.
        Last edited by NoelEdwards; 26-06-2008, 09:51.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post

you can have mine, its been in standby for 6 months.

Don't give it away!!! I'll give you ?2:00 AND I'll pay for postage!!!

Originally posted by stainboy
          Argh! Should I buy a Wii?
          PM me...I can get you one for ?75, hardly been used in 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by John Parry View Post

Don't give it away!!! I'll give you ?2:00 AND I'll pay for postage!!!

PM me...I can get you one for ?75, hardly been used in 6 months.
            haha

Comment

I really do love the games on the Wii. Admitingly their are less avaliable that appeal to me than the 360 but it's brilliant. The Machine itself is a joy to use, the controller is second nature and comfortable and Super Mario Galaxy is sublime.

If you have loads of games that you have not completed then hold off and complete them first. I reccomened Forever Blue, Mario Galaxy, No more Heros and Resi 4.
              Last edited by NoelEdwards; 26-06-2008, 09:33.

Comment

Is that MadWorld game coming out on the Wii?

That looks really brutal, with superb Frank Miller-style visuals. It's leftfield games like this and No More Heroes that will get me interested in the console. I'd want it for the classic stuff but theyre mostly franchise based. The party games don't interest me, so I'm looking for original titles that aren't likely to be developed on the graphic-hog machines.

Comment

well the wii....i hardly play anymore definetly the least played off the systems

Comment

Yikes, 3 pages before I even get round to checking!

See, now a Wii is more me than the 360 is and if I'd known I wouldn't have been working by the Wii's launch then I'd have never bought it and kept some cash for the Wii. I don't really regret the 360 though, I might have done if it hadn't been for XBLA.

One thing that worries me about the Wii is I'd be much more up for it if I still lived in a shared house and had constant housemates. I don't like having people round here but since it's small I suppose it doesn't stop me taking it elsewhere. Shame there's not a lot of stuff online but I'm still up for some Mario Kart.

As for single player games, there's quite a few that interest me even if there's not a lot on the horizon: Zelda, Super Paper Mario, No More Heroes, Zak and Wiki. Bit hesitant about Mario Galaxy as I really didn't like Sunshine, if anyone can confirm it's nothing like it then I'll be convinced. I'm all up for the VC as well.

Can you get hold of them easy second hand then? I was all up for getting a brand new one.
                    Last edited by NoelEdwards; 26-06-2008, 09:58.

Comment

If money isn't super tight and you have another console, getting a Wii's a fine idea. All this talk of nothing to play is really only relevant if it would be your only system.

The horizon looks empty because we're right before E3. Nintendo should announce a load of stuff next month. Reggie even said as much back in the spring.

And you MUST get Galaxy!!! Forget any Sunshine-induced hesitations. I felt exactly the same, but Galaxy is fantastic. It's the true successor to Mario 64, and game of the decade, IMO.

Comment

Thankyou sixty for getting this thread back on topic and saving it from a locking. Can we all just stop the fanboyism (not sure if that is a word) and stop getting weighed down in some childish console wars debate.

My own small opinion, for what it's worth, is that a wii is quality buy. It offers something different and at the end of the day you can never have too many consoles around your t.v.

Zack and Wiki is ace as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sixty View Post
                          And you MUST get Galaxy!!! Forget any Sunshine-induced hesitations. I felt exactly the same, but Galaxy is fantastic. It's the true successor to Mario 64, and game of the decade, IMO.
                          Thanks for that, I loved 64 and Sunshine was a huge bummer in comparason.

It's not that I'm going to be completely loaded suddenly or anything but I will just be going from absolutely skint to being able to afford to buy games again. Apart from the couple of 360 games I've just bought I have no backlog I already own that needs to be played so money will be getting spent regardless, it's just whether it's on games for the consoles I have already or on a shiney new console.

Comment

Originally posted by stainboy View Post
                            I have loads of 360 and DS games to catch up on, do I really need to start a new console?
                            Definetly not then. Better to wait till Wii games start appearing for £10 2nd hand.

People end up playing games they don't like just because they've paid £35 for it. Whereas if they've picked it up for £5-10, people tend to kid themselves less and just leave the game unfinished.
                            Last edited by Profit; 24-06-2008, 19:56.

Comment

Originally posted by stainboy View Post
                              Thanks for that, I loved 64 and Sunshine was a huge bummer in comparason.
                              Yeah, I booked a day off just for Sunshine's arrival. What a waste of time that was. I really wanted to love it, but the game seemed to enjoy pissing me off immensely. It took five years, but all is forgiven now.

Comment

What bothers me about the wii is that I want to love it but the emphasis is always on the new control method, you'll never get great graphics, or the whole package, I'm not saying the controls are bad, they are pretty good when used well. But lets be honest, you're not going to get the best driving game on the system, because it'll be eclipsed by another machine tending to realism better. I guess its just not where I want to be in gaming at present, I can hardly find titles I'd like to buy on it, but madworld is looking alright, but once again you'll be waving your hands around like you're on fire once more.

Comment

Working...
                                X