does anyone else get motion sickness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone else get motion sickness?

i have a problem with first person shooters - 5 minutes and its lie-down time.

i can just about manage Super Mario Sunshine (GC) and Resident Evil 4 (GC) but other games such as Tomb Raider or MGS knock me out.

my brother says i am missing out bigtime but i cant think of a solution.

any thoughts?

I've only ever suffered once, that was playing Half Life on the Orange Box 360.
    Had to give up and never played it again.

Comment

Yes, make sure you are generally healthy (including eyesight - this means doctor and optician check-up), the room is well lit, that you take breaks, that you sit far enough from the screen etc.

Comment

I only ever got it once, playing The Club on the 360, though think being close to the monitor may have been the cause, never experienced it otherwise.

Comment

hi all thanks for the replies

it occurs no matter where i sit/play

doctor said its dangerous to continue

what about Resident Evil 5? i can only hope....!

Comment

i get sick playing fps on the console....i bought some travel sickness bands and i can play fps for hours :P

Comment

I was going to suggest try taking a travel sickness tablet 30 minutes before playing, not ideal but may work.

Comment

Hope you're taking doc's advice seriously. Maybe a general check-up is in order to make sure there's no underlying condition. Not wanting to scaremonger but there's no point making yourself ill for a poxy hobby.

Also, a web search on nausea fps is revealing.
                Last edited by topper; 08-10-2008, 23:30. Reason: Web search bit

Comment

Originally posted by m3evo View Post
                  other games such as Tomb Raider or MGS knock me out.
                  Neither of those is an FPS!

The only time I had it was with a Medal of Honour game on the PS2, I forget which title. It was really bad though, I got through to the end of the game but I would frequently have to lie down after a session.

Actually I had a mild dose of it with Metroid Prime too, but it wasn't so extreme.

Comment

Old style DSs make me trip out.

If I continue I end up with cold shocks down my spine.

Then it's headaches for about an hour afterwards after coming off.

Comment

happens to me with certain shooters (half life 1 and serious sam 1 were the worst). usually it just means i can only play in short bursts but otherwise its not too bad. im finishing geist at the moment and most of the time im ok but a few of the prolonged ghost sections got me bad.

and it doesnt seem to me like your problem is first person shooters but more platform/third person games. never heard of anyone getting sick from sunshine.

Comment

Never in all my years of gaming until Gears of War!!!

Comment

Only time i ever got it was when i was watching someone play Quake 3 ages ago. I think it was something to do with my brain not anticipating which way my mate was going to spin the camera.

I suppose a similar instance is when your in a car with someone and you dont know when they are going to change gear and your head moves forward, whereas when i drive my self i suppose the body knows when it about to happen. Similar to being pillion on a motorcycle and you hit the helmet in front

Never had it playing a game myself though.

Bri

Comment

only had it when i played quake 3 on pc but never on console games

also make sure the monitor/tv isn't too bright as i had to turn my monitor down otherwise i would get a headache due to the contrast being too bright.

Comment

This has been brought up man times before.............. I think the threads i posted on before about this have been lost in the cosmos.

I too suffer from motion sickness, and i know what triggers it. It all boils down to the camera work........ lke sudden turns and shifts in the view. I experienced this for the first time on Golden Eye on the N64, but built up a tolerance for it over time. However, i dont have the time nor the desire to build up a tolerance for each game i get sick on.

It mostly happens on FPS games for me, as it happened last weekend when i tried to make my way through Condemned 2.......... BARF............ had to go to bed early to feel better.

Although i dont remember it happening when i was playing Silent Hill 3, i tried to revisit it a couple of months ago and BOOM, got a bad case of the giddies! the only time ive ever felt like hurling chunks was when i palyed Halo them many halo moons ago...........

I find what helps is -

-a well lit room

-sitting in a comfortable posture that you don't move too much in, like sitting up straight and not slouching.

-don't sit arched forward with yah neck tilted up at the screen and the neck strain contributes to it.

-don't make too many sudden moves in the game like panning around too quickly. Although this can be tough when under attack.

-not being tired, cliche but true!

Its true that you miss out on a lot as a result, but with hollywood and gaming making shakey cameras the IN thing, its set to get worse!

Although having taken stock of Jericho recently thanks to 'Fully Specy Wazzy' i found that by letting my squad do most of the work and i jus sit back, taking my time, it wasn't that bad!

The reason why we didnt get these bouts of dizziness abck in the 16 bit era was that there was no sudden camera switches...........

Hope this helps you all......... or maybe everyone different......... although i wouldnt mind checking out them wrist bands! If someone wants to donate one to me in the name of research However, popping pills to stop nausea whilst playing games is not exactly a suitable solution id hafta say lol..........

Comment

Working...
                              X