2D scrolling beat-em-up on next gen machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
    As cool as streets of rage 2 and final fight are, wernt the majority of scrolling beat em ups just designed to steal your money? isnt it time to move on?

Having said that i do still love Ninja Baseball Batman.
    Well maybe they were but there were some excellent examples such as Batman Returns on Super Famicom, I loved that game dearly I definitely feel there could be a place for them

Comment

Thing is thoguh technology has improved, yes we still have catstle crashes and the like but these days if you were asked to pay full price for a simple scrolling beat em up, flashy graphics or not, it wouldnt get a good reception.

To be honest games like ninja gaiden 2 do have massive attack combos, but they really only have one or two more attack buttons than scrolling beat em ups of old. So really Its not the mentality of games that has changed much at all, just the advancement of techonolgy behind them.

Comment

Batman Returns on the SNES was fantastic. All chunky sprites and vicious move-set. The move where you grabbed two enemies and bashed their heads together was sweet!

I'd love to see a new scrolling fighter. I recently picked up the Capcom PSP collection an that had a couple on it.

Ah, I just remembered Rival Turf on the SNES. That was a baaaaad game but I used to play it loads!

Comment

Originally posted by m3evo View Post
          Guardian Heroes - TMNT - The Simpsons - Knights Of The Round - Downtown - Kung Fu Master - Yie Ar Kung-Fu - Target Renegade

the list goes on

we need a next gen 2D beat-em-up!!!!
          Er...Yie Ar Kung-Fu wasn't a 2D beat-em-up. It was a 1-on-1 beat-em-up, ? la Street Fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Er...Yie Ar Kung-Fu wasn't a 2D beat-em-up. It was a 1-on-1 beat-em-up, ? la Street Fighter.

Captain Commando then

Comment

Those Konami Turtles games weren't too bad on the Snes & Mega Drive, after renting one out of sheer boredom & liking it I hunted the others down and they were quite fun

Comment

Apart from the first two Streets of Rage games on the MD, Capcom set the bar in the arcades for scrollers. Between Final Fight, Tenchi Wu Kurau II, Battle Circuit, Shadow Over Mystara, Punisher and Cadillacs & Dinosaurs there was always just enough variation and new ideas to keep things fresh, whether that be a license, RPG style levelling up, guns, vehicles, horses, whatever. Apart from Live Arcade, PSN and Wii homebrewy things I doubt we will see teir like again.

I am with eastyy though, Guardian Heroes, as close to the original as possible, not the watered down GBA version, would be awesomes.

Comment

oo aliens vs predator the arcade game was one of my fav scolling fighters ever......shame due to licensing little chance of it being released on any format

Comment

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
                    Apart from the first two Streets of Rage games on the MD, Capcom set the bar in the arcades for scrollers. Between Final Fight, Tenchi Wu Kurau II, Battle Circuit, Shadow Over Mystara, Punisher and Cadillacs & Dinosaurs there was always just enough variation and new ideas to keep things fresh, whether that be a license, RPG style levelling up, guns, vehicles, horses, whatever. Apart from Live Arcade, PSN and Wii homebrewy things I doubt we will see teir like again.
                    Is absolutely correct.

Comment

Working...
                    X