Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TATE mode on LCD's

Afternoon all,

Well with the current crop of Shooters out I'm beginning to think about playing them properly in TATE mode however my current set is a 32" Widescreen CRT which means TATE is pretty much impossible lol

Now that got me thinking & I'm toying with the idea of buying a cheap 19-22" LCD screen which I can set up on it's side in TATE mode in the Lounge in front of my CRT when I feel the need for some Shooter action.

Now I was wondering has anyone done this with their set?
    Is there anything I should be aware of if I do...will it affect the pixels/display??

Finally will something like this be ok for PS2, Saturn & 360 shooter duties...

Find PC monitor deals at Ebuyer! Monitors for gaming, office, home use and more. From a curved monitor to a 4k monitor - with finance options and fast delivery.

Seems good for the price.

Anyway is this a good idea or am I totally p1ssing in the wind??

Thanks in advance

Neil

You can actually buy natively portrait-oriented LCDs. They're not easy to find but I think Dell used to sell them. You'd probably be best off looking at graphic artists suppliers.

Playing retro games on an LCD is an... interesting experience though. Even if you use a dedicated upscaler to make them look nicer you still have to put up with ghosting, which can make some games unplayable even on a modern set with low response time.

Comment

Some monitors come with a built in rotating mechanism. For those that don't you can buy an aftermarket stand.

If you want to play older shmups on it you may be better of using a scaling box instead of connecting the consoles directly.
      Last edited by Geezer; 31-10-2008, 14:28.

Comment

Edit: Geezer beat me to it basically what I've said is as stated in his post

Neil you need to make sure that the monitor stand can be adjusted for tate mode. I think most TV's don't so you would need to buy a new stand or wall mount that does. I use a Dell 24" monitor and have played Ikaruga on 360 in tate mode it does make the world of difference although I doubt an SD console would look that good on a monitor so you need TV + stand / wall mount or a monitor that has a stand supporting tate mode + an upscaler like the HD Box pro.
        Last edited by Morph; 31-10-2008, 14:35.

Comment

How about a cheap old CRT? Takes up more room but costs a lot less money (and will look a lot better for Saturn and PS2 stuff).

Comment

Here's an example of a stand:

The nice thing about the HD Box Pro is that it will preserve the original aspect ratio of your content when playing back at a PC resolution, which is not the case with the Hori Upscan converter in the pic I've posted.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys

Belmondo in an ideal world I'd buy another CRT for Tate & retro only but alas I dont have the room
              The selling point of the LCD idea is that I could wall mount it as well for watching in the bedroom with the better half so more likely she'd let me have one lol

Geezer,

Thats a great help with the links thank you.
              Will deffinitley buy that scaler box as that seems like a very good idea & any help making the older stuff playable will be most welcome.

Thanks again for the input guys this is deffinitley something I'll be looking into more in the coming weeks

Neil

Comment

Standard Dell does Tate. Just use a DVI to HMDI adapter for your PS3/360, or VGA for the 360.

19", HDCP, ?175

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Product Category : Flat Panel Display
                Monitor Size (Viewable Image Screen) : 19 inches wide (19-inch wide viewable image size)
                Pixel Pitch : 0.2835mm
                Response Type (Typical) : 5ms
                Viewing Angle (Typical) : 80 degrees (vertical), +/- 80 degrees (horizontal)
                Luminance (Brightness) : 300cd/m2 Typical
                Contrast Ratio (Typical) : 1000:1
                Panel Type : TN - Twisted Nematic
                Maximum Resolution : 1440 x 900 at 60 Hz
                Other Connectors / Features : Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 Ports, Kensington security port
                Standard Warranty:This monitor ships with 3-year Premium Panel Exchange service

Comment

Originally posted by belmondo View Post
                  How about a cheap old CRT? Takes up more room but costs a lot less money (and will look a lot better for Saturn and PS2 stuff).
                  TATE CRTs mostly come from old arcade cabs and getting them to work can be a mare, whilst regular TVs tend to die very quickly if you turn them on their side. As I discovered the hard way a few years back

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                    Here's an example of a stand:

The nice thing about the HD Box Pro is that it will preserve the original aspect ratio of your content when playing back at a PC resolution, which is not the case with the Hori Upscan converter in the pic I've posted.
                    Geezer are you using the HD Box Pro in that pic?

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                      TATE CRTs mostly come from old arcade cabs and getting them to work can be a mare, whilst regular TVs tend to die very quickly if you turn them on their side. As I discovered the hard way a few years back

I discovered that also, it went all pink and then gave up the ghost.

Comment

Same as.

Comment

Originally posted by Morph View Post
                          Geezer are you using the HD Box Pro in that pic?
                          That's with a Hori Upscan 2. It's pretty limited as it only goes to 640X480. Afaik the HD Box Pro will do higher res eg 1920X1200 and 1680X1050.

EDIT:
                          List of resolutions:

Output Mode (VGA): 640X480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1400X1050, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1200.
                          Last edited by Geezer; 31-10-2008, 15:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                            That's with a Hori Upscan 2. It's pretty limited as it only goes to 640X480. Afaik the HD Box Pro will do higher res eg 1920X1200 and 1680X1050.
                            cheers mate may try & pick up a HD Box Pro..

Comment

This is pretty interesting too.

Comment

Working...
                              X