TATE mode on LCD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
    TATE CRTs mostly come from old arcade cabs and getting them to work can be a mare, whilst regular TVs tend to die very quickly if you turn them on their side. As I discovered the hard way a few years back
    I had a 14" set on its side for several months without any problems (I stopped using it after that).

Comment

Can I ask what the point is of turning a small (19") screen on it's side is, when the normal non-Tate picture on your 32" CRT will be bigger than that? Slightly increased resolution maybe? I'd far rather play non-tate on my 42" plasma than on a tiny LCD in Tate.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
        http://yokotate.hazard-city.de/

This is pretty interesting too.
        make your own up-scaler - nice idea for top quality up-scaling, DCDi looks to produce some really nice results.

But finding a HoloGraph3D card seems a real challenge.

Comment

charles, it would be a hefty increase in resolution to be fair. Also, it is nice to play without borders.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Can I ask what the point is of turning a small (19") screen on it's side is, when the normal non-Tate picture on your 32" CRT will be bigger than that? Slightly increased resolution maybe? I'd far rather play non-tate on my 42" plasma than on a tiny LCD in Tate.
            Charles,

To be honest 19" was the smallest size I'd look to buy...I'd idealy look to buy a 22" if I can can.

All I can do is try it.
            I'm gonna bring my PS2 round to the parents this weekend & plug it into my brothers 17" LCD TV & see how that seems in Tate mode...if it's pants & harder to see/play then I'll rethink the stratergy & stick with Yoko CRT instead

That do it yourself scaler is good idea though.
            Looks like too much effort for my limited knowledge/technical expertise.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by belmondo View Post
              I had a 14" set on its side for several months without any problems (I stopped using it after that).
              Most well built TVs can handle it. As long as you move it with it switched fully off the demag coil should eliminate any magnetization. If you were really worried about doing damage you could take the case off and check the components were mounted well enough

LCD is gonna look a bit crap for anything low res (Ketsui, RFA etc). You should definitely invest in an XRGB2 for stuff like Saturn/PS2. It even has to option to fake scanlines.

Comment

i am toying with a spare room set up - ideally i am looking for a monitor i can swivel/rotate (tate) with a native 720p/1080p resolution that has a good response rate et etc - can anyone give me some recommendations

looking to set up my jpn xbox 360 slim via hdmi

Comment

I got some good recommends when I was last looking; thread here

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    i am toying with a spare room set up - ideally i am looking for a monitor i can swivel/rotate (tate) with a native 720p/1080p resolution that has a good response rate et etc - can anyone give me some recommendations

looking to set up my jpn xbox 360 slim via hdmi
                    Before buying, double-check where the monitor rotates: before buying an articulated arm I wasn't able to use TATE mode with certain games because the monitor would only turn the other way TATE is.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
                      TATE CRTs mostly come from old arcade cabs and getting them to work can be a mare, whilst regular TVs tend to die very quickly if you turn them on their side. As I discovered the hard way a few years back
                      Very true. I killed a nice 21" CRT years ago buy TATEing it. Two of the corners went green and it ruined the picture.

Comment

You're supposed to let them discharge before you rotate them..

Comment

Working...
                        X