No announcement yet.

collectors edition games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't understand "collectors'" editions. It's not like that are very limited.

The only limited stuff I've gone for are DC shooters, like Karous, Under Defeat, Trigger Heart etc. I got Sega Direct versions just because. Silly really. Perhaps I'll flog them and keep the normal editions. Seems wrong to keep stuff sealed up. Limted edition Last Hope deserves to be burnt ceremoniously though.

Comment

I collect games, but I don't buy them as a collector, if that makes sense. I like having a cupboard full of PS2 titles, but I do buy them to play them, rather than just have them sit there. I like (good) limited editions because they give me extra bits and pieces I actually want, not because I have some deluded idea they'll be worth a fortune in the future.

Comment

I was literally just talking to a mate about this very matter. He's militantly against them, thinking they are silly and pointless but then he consumes games at an amazing rate. He usually buys, rinses then chops them in within a week or so of release, so to him the nice boxes are just things that get in the way and he's not interested in extra fluff.

On the other hand, I really don't buy that many games and I'm just an utter sucker for pretty stuff to make the game feel a bit more special. I very rarely sell games so I just like to have the niceness of something that isn't just a regular DVD case. I still utterly love my Halo 3 legendary helmet and really enjoyed the extras disks. The first Gears is one of my most played games ever and although the extras disk wasn't up to much I have 0 problem with spending a few extra quid on the gears 2 LE.

Comment

I only pick them up if its I`m realy into ie MGS stuff.
          Mate of mine shelled out for the Halo helmet set only to turn it into a desktop pc (micro itx) I`ll try and get some pics.
          Like someone else stated "Limited Editions" here are a bit of a joke and can be picked up a few months down the line pretty cheap............ Halo 3 helmet anybody.

Comment

I always burst open any limited editions I get now, used to have them all pre packed up and then I thought seriously whats the point? Unless I want to re-sell which I know I just won't do.
            I've burst open my metal gear 3 box set, have my shagohod figure on my xbox 360 with old master chief kubrick mounting it.
            My Anibus collectors/limited edition figure is out on display, my sega t-shirts have been worn from my Sega Ages DX packs, my fallout lunchbox will have sandwiches in it soon.
            Always see no point paying for a ltd edition if its not going to get used in some way, ornamental stuff can be cool too.
            Only thing I still have sealed is my border down mousemat.
            Liking most of the Ltd Ed stuff thats been coming out, kinda gets me a bit when its just a shiny box and making of extra disc, would much prefer soundtracks, figures and shiny boxes.

Comment

Balls to these, Jesus.

The only 'collector's edition' I ever bought was Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night for the PAL PS1 - and that is much less rare than the 'non-collector's edition' version, wtf. What does that tell you?

And in terms of Japanese 'collector's editions', how many rubber cats does one sane man need?

Collector's Editions are the lowest of the low. Just give us a COMPLETED and QUALITY games in the first fu<king first place, no rubber be-jibbits or whatnots.

EDIT: Having said that, FamilyFry, if you actually use the widgets, I can see some point. I still have some semblance of sanity, thank freck.

Comment

The only 2 limited editions i have bought & felt they were worth the money were the gyakuten saiban 1 & 4 box sets. Where limited edition actually means that, number 4 is still easyish to find but the first one is pretty hard to get hold of now.

Comment

I got those the other day. Second-hand but all the goodies were sealed except the games themselves.

To open or not, hmmm

Comment

i admit, i am a sucker for owning the "best" edition of anything, games or otherwise. eg, i dont own a single disc movie if there is a double disc version around.

fortunately for me though, there is no such thing as a collectors edition wii game, and the pc has much fewer "limited editions" than the 360.

Comment

I like the bizarreness that came with Trizeal (bandanna) and Killer7 (survival kit thingy)

Comment

I started buying them initally because they were a new thing, and seemed worth the ?5 extra.

Now Microsoft and the like have milked it to death, and the novelty is gone. Ironically, I now make a point of buying the standard edition unless the special edition has really special extras. I'm not really interested in paying ?5 extra for the standard game in a tin (which apparently don't cost any more to produce anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
                          i admit, i am a sucker for owning the "best" edition of anything, games or otherwise. eg, i dont own a single disc movie if there is a double disc version around.
                          importing Japanese games that means you buy the re-released cheaper versions

i will buy the special editions if they are cheap enough, not really happy to add $60 for a silly plastic item - the new Trigger heart exelica is a prime example, its $55 more expensive for the edition with a small model

recently i was gagging for the GTA4 special edition, but at ?70 it was plainly overpriced, a couple of months later on eBay and you can get them for ?20 inc postage

i've dread to think how much i've wasted on Video games over the last 10 years, recently thought alot about it and thinking of clearing out one of my big collections since i'm never at home anymore

Comment

Have to admit i'm a sucker for the Microsoft ones, love the different shape and size boxes really, never open the things and gaze at my wares though.

And it is a bit silly how 'limited' they are, guess that's why they call them 'collectors' instead.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                              i've dread to think how much i've wasted on Video games over the last 10 years, recently thought alot about it and thinking of clearing out one of my big collections since i'm never at home anymore
                              I did this recently with my US N64 gear, very liberating.

Comment

Originally posted by Wavey Pavey View Post
                                I did this recently with my US N64 gear, very liberating.
                                on the chopping block would be my Jpn N64 stuff (80+), PSX (350+), Saturn (200+) or Dreamcast (300+)

bah!!

Comment

Working...
                                X